Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 10:56:53 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Editorial - Gary Gilbert
« previous next »
: [1]
: Editorial - Gary Gilbert  ( 3426 )
Gary Gilbert
: 77

« : February 23, 2010, 05:51:38 PM »

Our school boards should be commended for the wonderful job they have already done to control costs. Last year school spending rose 2% statewide, while the general fund rose 3.4%. This year Fairfax and Georgia have come in with responsible budgets of $1,516 and $1,364 BELOW the anticipated state average per student.  Our boards know the needs of their communities and their students better than any one else. And only local boards have the credibility to bridge the gap between statewide discontent over the cost of education and local willingness to fund the high costs of quality learning experiences for students. They have done a great job this year of balancing the needs of the student and the taxpayer and will be asked to do even more next year.
But we must make sure that all are treated equally. School districts like Fairfax and Georgia, have met the challenge with a good faith effort to control costs. The Challenge for Change Bill, which required a reduction in Education spending of nearly $20.3 million this year does not distinguish among low cost/high cost districts or those who have made reductions and those that have not.  The implementation of future cost savings targeted to be an additional $40 million in fy12, will need to take this into consideration so that responsible boards will not be punished for their good work.

Representative Gary Gilbert
Fairfax/Georgia
special ED

« #1 : February 24, 2010, 03:55:27 PM »

SPECIAL ED TRANSLATION ....YOUR TAXES ARE GOING UP!!!!!!!
YouAnnMos
: 30

« #2 : March 01, 2010, 03:59:13 PM »

Gary,
        I was wondering if you knew how the Spending Per Equalized Pupil is computed.  It doesn't seem to be a simple division of the total budget by the number of students so do you know what formula is used to arrive at the BFA number of $10,655 ?? 

Thanks
: [1]  
« previous next »
: