Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 11:52:25 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Something You & I Have Always Been Curious About
« previous next »
: [1]
: Something You & I Have Always Been Curious About  ( 6381 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : May 27, 2009, 07:51:35 AM »

I had thought that maybe it was so you would be able to see it on the blacktop:

The above two photos are of my walk between the garage and the house.  We have some lovely morning doves that love to hang around there and everytime you go out or come in they take off leaving behind them a stream of "White Bird Poop."

Now here is the question.  Why is Bird Poop White?  Now this may be a little more than you need to know, but here it is and you will no longer need to ponder the question:

Many people wonder why bird poop is white. The reason bird poop is the white color it is instead of brown like most other animals has to do with the fact that birds, unlike mammals do not urinate. Their kidneys excrete nitrogenous wastes in the form of uric acid. Uric acid has a low solubility with water, so it comes out as a white paste.

This excrement, as well as the output of the intestines, emerges from what is called the cloaca. The cloaca is a multi-purpose hole for birds: their wastes come out of it, they have sex by putting their cloacas together, and females lay eggs out of it.

Now if there is anything else you might like to know regarding this, you can click on the following link, however, when you leave the forum this morning you will have just one more piece of valuable information.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art21226.asp

News is slow today.

Henry Raymond
Suzy
: 429

« #1 : May 27, 2009, 08:23:17 AM »

Thank you for sharing...
Judi
: 508

« #2 : May 27, 2009, 09:39:49 AM »

I read this while eating my great grains cereal, thanks Henry!
trussell
: 870

« #3 : May 27, 2009, 09:48:22 AM »

Thank you, Henry, for tackling the difficult questions we all wonder about.

I've often had to argue with people who just didn't believe me that chickens have just 1 "multipurpose" hole. Haha!

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
mirjo
: 785

« #4 : May 27, 2009, 09:51:56 AM »

I'll never view a bird the same way again. Thanks for the science lesson! ;-)

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
YouAnnMos
: 30

« #5 : May 27, 2009, 09:59:42 AM »

Maybe stranger still -- I never wondered why bird poop was white.
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #6 : May 28, 2009, 03:56:31 PM »

Birdie Birdie in the sky..
Drop some white wash in my eye..
I don't worry...
I don't cry...
I am just glad cows can't fly!

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #7 : May 30, 2009, 01:43:00 AM »

And here I thought MY posts may have been OFFENSIVE and REPULSIVE.....

I forget that Henry has one heck of a sense of humor.

GOOD on you Henry!

Poop thread!
trussell

« #8 : June 04, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »

Because I know Mike and Steve will appreciate it:

:)

-Trevor

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
edakrupp

« #9 : June 05, 2009, 06:53:31 AM »

Robin poop is brown, and thats the same stuff the squirt to hold their "mud" straw nests together. So they literally do sleep in their own... Now I know why my mother always told me to wash my hands after holding a bird!
Suzy
: 429

« #10 : June 05, 2009, 07:12:30 AM »

Trevor, did you take that photo?
It's a great "shot" so-to-speak! 
Sooz
trussell

« #11 : June 05, 2009, 07:53:35 AM »

No, I didn't take the photo.  It was forwarded to me along with a bunch of other similarly-cool pics. :)

: [1]  
« previous next »
: