Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 09:21:48 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fort Meigs And The Perry Memorial Update From Ed & Helga
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fort Meigs And The Perry Memorial Update From Ed & Helga  ( 1270 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : September 18, 2012, 08:29:08 AM »

After the American Revolution, Britain agreed to cede the Northwest Territories (bounded by the joining of the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers) to America. Fort Meigs was established to protect the northern tier of that land. (See narrative). The fort today is preserved for all to see bringing back the history of the early years. The Perry and Peace Memorial is on Bass Island in the town of Put-in-Bay. We took a Catamaran boat on a 28-minute ride to island. An elevator took me up the 422 steps to the top. We then visited the museum. Commodore Perry and his fleet defeated the British fleet on Lake Erie cutting their supply lines south and bringing forth negotiations for a a peace treaty.

Following the War of 1812, or next stop is Erie, PA

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: