Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 06:55:03 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Is this a Cormorant I saw on the Lamoille today??
« previous next »
: [1]
: Is this a Cormorant I saw on the Lamoille today??  ( 5773 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : June 29, 2010, 04:31:03 PM »

Is this a Cormorant I saw on the Lamoille today??

JoAnne

Got this photo of one off the Internet:

« : June 29, 2010, 04:34:02 PM Henry »

Henry Raymond
Dick Brown
: 414

« #1 : June 30, 2010, 07:40:58 AM »

Great photo !!    I don't believe it's a cormorant though. The neck seems to be too short and the gray feathers on the body don't seem to cover the plumage as well as the picture in the Field Guide shows that a typical cormorant has.  I can't ever remember seeing a bird like this in Vermont, even though I spent a lot of time fishing brooks and rivers back in the day. Definitely a matter of great observation to be able pick it out on that rock !!!
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #2 : June 30, 2010, 09:56:21 AM »

I think it's a Dodo! ;)

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #3 : June 30, 2010, 01:36:32 PM »

http://www.tapirback.com/tapirgal/gifts/friends/extinct-animals/dodo-bird-plastic-f1353.htm

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Razzle Dazzle

« #4 : June 30, 2010, 04:02:40 PM »

My best guess from looking at the picture is Yes, it's a cormorant.  They've really invaded Lake Champlian and I suppose this one may have wandered inland.  Possibly it had paid a visit to Arrowhead.  Interesting find.
I know they have also been making regular visits to Shelburne pond to feed on Perch.

http://www.lclt.org/cormorants.htm
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #5 : July 01, 2010, 01:10:37 AM »

Are they an invasive species?
Margie
: 156

« #6 : July 01, 2010, 07:35:48 AM »

We've had cormorants on the river for years.  They don't seem to stay too long, though.
Suzy
: 429

« #7 : July 01, 2010, 02:46:00 PM »

I vote yes, that it's a cormorant. 
Suzy
Dick Brown
: 414

« #8 : July 01, 2010, 07:56:05 PM »

Marge     I agree with you that Cormorants have been around for years, but ,to me , this bird is not one of those species that we see on our rivers and lakes .  Cormorants are prevalent near the lakes and ocean down here also,and I just can't remember seeing one with such a short neck or that body color. Maybe it is a stunted bird ???? Maybe it's truly the same as the one pictured on page 76 of the Audubon Field Guide, but I don't think so.
Mike Raburn     This bird might as well be an invasive species. It's flocks have ruined the vegetation on at least two Islands in Lake Champlain , and it's diet mostly consists of small fish ( i.e.,perch ) with an adult consuming two lbs. a day, according to a Biologist at the Grand Isle Hatchery a few years ago. Unfortunately as a member of the Migratory Bird family, it is protected by Federal Law and cannot be hunted. Several sportsman found this out the hard way several years ago when they motored out to one of the devastated islands and were caught by Fish and Game Authorities as they were culling the flock !!!  Strong consequences sent a message to others who might have tried to duplicate their actions. Later the biologists tried to reduce their population by destroying their nests and eggs on those same islands, but were unable to do so, I hear.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #9 : July 01, 2010, 09:00:15 PM »

Did you know that the American Robin and Starlings are also protected by the Federal Migratory Bird Act?

They delayed us by 2 weeks on clearing land at the new SAFEWAY site in Palmer.
We had to hire a biologist to survey the site and they found 8 nests.

Look up Starlings,,,invasive.
A few were brought over from Europe and released in NYC in the early 1900s.
They have taken down aircraft with their flocks.

I am all for wildlife and nature but come on!
The first summer after the new store is opened guess what will be nesting under the eaves and the wooden beams we are putting on the front of the store.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: