Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 01:22:54 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Ed & Helga Update From Update from Toroweap, AZ
« previous next »
: [1]
: Ed & Helga Update From Update from Toroweap, AZ  ( 1354 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 15, 2012, 10:34:11 AM »

Today was a long day! We traveled 61 miles on a dirt road through the Arizona high plateau desert to a Grand Canyon Rim called "Toroweap Point". The last 5 miles was on slick rock, which required all my 4-wheel drive skills. It was so bad I would have had to scrape Helga off the ceiling of the truck had she not had her seat belt on! There were times I saw her levitating off the seat! I was praying the full length of the trip that we didn't have a flat tire or get stuck. Just in case I bought some tire plugs and a shovel before the excursion. We parked the truck about 200 feet from the edge of the rim, where another vehicle was parked. I mosied over and talked to a gentleman who said he was a park steward. I asked him where the viewpoint was where upon he lead me there. It was a 3000' shear drop to the Colorado River. I told him I was afraid of heights, so he lead me by the arm as close as I wanted to get, and trust me that wasn't very close! We took pictures and then noticed thunder clouds moving in our direction way off in the distance. He suggested we move out together and head for the ranger's house. Once there he asked me if I would to like see some petroglyphs? I said "sure" but asked if was he still concerned with the storm clouds? He said "nah, they're moving away from us. So we jumped into our vehicles and drove 12 miles. From there we parted company and returned to the main road for a 47 mile return journey. What we didn't know was that the mileage in front had received rain, so much so that one portion of the road was flooded. We drove through it with ease but the truck got the worst for it. It took three car wash cycles to get all that red clay off.

Oh, Bella went with us and she has been sleeping ever since we got back. I think she was levitating also.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: