Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 03:49:32 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  BFA Fairfax Musicians Draw Inspiration From The Past
« previous next »
: [1]
: BFA Fairfax Musicians Draw Inspiration From The Past  ( 3918 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : October 24, 2007, 12:22:06 PM »

The following article was published in last Friday's St. Albans Messenger and written by Janet Bonneau, Messenger Correspondent

Ahead of their time

Young musicians draw inspiration from the past

Left to right:  Dylan Day, Alzona Watson, and Willy Watson.  Band members took a break from classes to discuss the musical influences of blues and jazz greats like John Lee Hooker and Miles Davis - Photo by Janet Bonneau, Messenger Correspondent

By JANET BONNEAU
Messenger Correspondent

FAIRFAX — In the world of blues and jazz, improvisation is key – it’s all in what you hear and what you feel, agree Dylan Day, and brothers Alzona and Willy Watson.
The three Bellows Free Academy, Fairfax high school students comprise the Alzona Watson Band.

“If you’re playing blues and jazz, it comes more from what you’re feeling, it’s not something you can write down. In any improvising – you can’t just look at a sheet of paper, you can’t just listen to one part. There’s a lot of drama to it,” said Day.

Their inspiration comes from an earlier time.

Names like the legendary Deep South blues man John Lee Hooker; “King of the Delta Blues” Robert Johnson; New Orleans jazzman Louis Armstrong; “cool jazz” guy Miles Davis; “King of Slide Guitar” Elmore James; and improvisational jazz pianist Thelonious Monk roll off their tongues.

They may be young  – Alzona and Dylan are 14, Willy is 16 – but they are serious about their music.

Willy Watson became interested in guitar when he was 8 years old, after hearing his Uncle Levi play. He took guitar lessons for a year until his teacher retired. He then began teaching himself.

He believes his ability to “play what he hears” comes from the experience of playing with other musicians.

“It’s amazing how much I learned once the lessons stopped,” he said with a laugh.

Younger brother, Alzona, began playing when he was 8 or 9.

“I was kind of inspired by Willy. My dad was listening to a radio flea market show and heard about a bass guitar and amp for sale. I tried it out, liked it, took $100 from my bank account and bought it. I’m pretty much self-taught,” he said.

Day was inspired at 4 or 5 while watching his father, Dave, play folk guitar. By the time Day was 11, he had his first guitar.

“I was taught by just playing with other people. I know a blues player in his early sixties. He’s the one who really got me going on slide guitar. He was the first person I ever saw play slide … He had a copper pipe over his finger. I use glass, copper is too harsh a sound for me,” said Day.

Day’s mom, Kathy, said she is thrilled to learn about a whole new genre of music through her son’s strong interest in the blues.

“I listened to the Allman Brothers in high school, but he’s listening to stuff from the 20s and 30s. I sometimes wonder – where did this kid come from? He’s like an old soul in a young body.”

The Alzona Watson Band performed at the Fairfax Music Festival on October 6. Joining them onstage was Fairfax community member and drummer Dave Duprat.

“Their drummer had dropped out, the timing was good and I was glad to help them out. As soon as we got going, I was impressed with all three of them. I gave them some suggestions, they gave me some. I’m learning from them, too.”

Duprat said he was honored to play with these young, rising stars, and predicts they will do well as they continue to progress musically. “They’re really into what they’re doing, they’re ahead of their time. They’re not just kids who are hacking away. My hat is off to them,” he said.

Are these guys nervous about playing in front of a crowd?

“Not really,” said Day, “We just play.”

“I don’t get nervous,” said Willy Watson. “It feels pretty natural.”

The Watson brothers said their parents, Diane and Neb, are “supportive, creative people” who want the boys to pursue their musical dreams.

Though they cannot predict where they want to be after high school, the boys all agreed that music would play a large role.

Willy Watson would like to play music for a really large audience.

“If I could make a living playing music, then that would be an ultimate goal,” he said.

Alzona Watson said he hopes to move to a place that revolves around music or that has a lot of music history, such as New Orleans or Chicago.

“I hope to be playing [guitar] all the time,” said Day.[/b]

Henry Raymond
Mojovt
: 77

« #1 : October 26, 2007, 06:11:49 PM »

These guys are really amazing, as I'm sure anyone who caught them at the music festival can tell you. If you hear of them playing anywhere, I highly recommend going to check them out.

Scott Day
: [1]  
« previous next »
: