Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 03:53:00 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Photos of Plane Crash In Fairfax Between Summit View & Goodall Streets
« previous next »
: [1]
: Photos of Plane Crash In Fairfax Between Summit View & Goodall Streets  ( 15629 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : June 16, 2007, 12:58:11 PM »

Hi All,

Around 1 p.m. this afternoon a plane crash was reported just off Summit View Street in the Meadow between that Street & Goodall Street.  The plane apparently lost power and the pilot, I was told was not injured:

The plane in the field as seen from Summit View Street

Hay was high as you can see

Lucien Hayes was first on the scene - Kind of hot for that gear

Two more firemen, Kyle Magnuson and Jordan Hayes trudge threw the tall grass carrying equipment

Steve Bessette examined the plane and decided it was not for him

Don't know anything about airplanes, but that left landing gear appears to be the only damage, however sure would want an expert mechanic to look at that engine

A little bantering going on here between the firemen - Kyle Magnuson in the foreground is having a discussion with an unseen fireman about the driver of the plane, or was it the pilot - I believe the fireman on the left is Jordan Hayes - In the background, Steve Bessette continues to examine the plane for damage
« : June 17, 2007, 06:58:07 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #1 : June 16, 2007, 01:04:02 PM »

Nice shots Henry.  Does anyone recall the other crash in Farifax.  I'd say 25+ years ago?  It was in the pasture next to the farm that sits on the left hand side, just after you exit Brush Woods heading towards North Fairfax.  (I forget the name of the owners...)

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Mojovt
: 77

« #2 : June 16, 2007, 05:31:09 PM »

Nice shots Henry.  Does anyone recall the other crash in Farifax.  I'd say 25+ years ago?  It was in the pasture next to the farm that sits on the left hand side, just after you exit Brush Woods heading towards North Fairfax.  (I forget the name of the owners...)

I do remember that. My dad and I were headed to St. Albans one day, and saw the plane out in the field. We stopped and went to check it out. I actually have a picture of it somewhere. I'll try to find and post it here.

Scott Day
Henry
Administrator

« #3 : June 16, 2007, 06:29:44 PM »

Hi Scott,

Was that up on the Lavallee Farm where the Kopacz family lived or was it further towards St. Albans.  Maryann and I were talking about it on our way to St. Albans tonight and neither of us remember it.  The plane is still out in the meadow as from what I gathered from the firemen, some other group has to make an examination of it and determine the cause of the crash.

According to Vermont State Police, the pilot was 48 year old Peter Hebert of Stowe.  He was supposed to land in Morrisville, but had just four minutes to find another landing spot after his engine quit.  He was flying at about three thousand feet off the ground and apparently the closest place he could find was the meadow between Summit View Street and Goodall Street.  He was very lucky and walked away from the crash unharmed.  The thick hay must have provided a nice soft padding as the only damage appeared to the left landing gear you can see in one of the pictures I took.  The Federal Aviation Administration has been notified, so I suspect they will be moving the plane tomorrow.
« : June 16, 2007, 07:14:58 PM Henry »

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #4 : June 16, 2007, 07:25:17 PM »

Check out Channel 5 TV's report (They say:  "Herbert's Experimental Fox Kit Airplane was about 3,000 feet in the air when the aircraft's single engine failed")

http://www.wptz.com/news/13515981/detail.html

Check out Channel 3 TV's Report:

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=6668345
[/b]
« : June 16, 2007, 07:58:33 PM Henry »

Henry Raymond
NorthFairfaxBoy

« #5 : June 17, 2007, 08:54:09 AM »

Hi Scott,

Was that up on the Lavallee Farm where the Kopacz family lived or was it further towards St. Albans.  Maryann and I were talking about it on our way to St. Albans tonight and neither of us remember it.  The plane is still out in the meadow as from what I gathered from the firemen, some other group has to make an examination of it and determine the cause of the crash.

According to Vermont State Police, the pilot was 48 year old Peter Hebert of Stowe.  He was supposed to land in Morrisville, but had just four minutes to find another landing spot after his engine quit.  He was flying at about three thousand feet off the ground and apparently the closest place he could find was the meadow between Summit View Street and Goodall Street.  He was very lucky and walked away from the crash unharmed.  The thick hay must have provided a nice soft padding as the only damage appeared to the left landing gear you can see in one of the pictures I took.  The Federal Aviation Administration has been notified, so I suspect they will be moving the plane tomorrow.

It was in the field across the road from Stone Crest horse farm, just after Ralph McNalls place. 

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Henry
Administrator

« #6 : June 17, 2007, 09:05:09 AM »

Thanks Brian, that would be The John and Louise Bouthillette Farm right after where Charlotte McNall's trailer is now.  Nice open area there.  Also Channel 3 now has the video of the State Trooper talking about the crash that you can check out if you want at:

http://www.wcax.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?clipid1=1518767&at1=News&vt1=v&h1=Plane+Crash+in+Fairfax&d1=49567&redirUrl=www.wcax.com&activePane=info&LaunchPageAdTag=homepage&playerVersion=1&hostPageUrl=http%3A//www.wcax.com/global/video/popup/pop_playerLaunch.asp%3Fclipid1%3D1518767%26at1%3DNews%26vt1%3Dv%26h1%3DPlane+Crash+in+Fairfax%26d1%3D49567%26redirUrl%3Dwww.wcax.com%26activePane%3Dinfo%26LaunchPageAdTag%3Dhomepage&rnd=20143944
« : June 17, 2007, 09:07:17 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
Mojovt

« #7 : June 17, 2007, 04:13:12 PM »

It was in the field across the road from Stone Crest horse farm, just after Ralph McNalls place. 

That's correct....I'll try to find that picture right now....

Scott Day
Henry
Administrator

« #8 : June 17, 2007, 07:16:37 PM »

Hi All,

Scott Day sent me the photo today of the airplane crash a number of years ago that happened in John Bouthilette's pasture and I just opened my e-mail, so here it is.  Thanks Scott.  Scott was probably in his early teens at the time this photo was taken, so I am guessing the crash happened about 20 or so years ago.

« : June 18, 2007, 06:59:56 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #9 : June 26, 2007, 08:40:16 AM »

Hi All,

Found the following information on the airplane crash that Scott Day sent me the photo of.  It happened on December 30, 1986 at 9:30 a.m.:

NTSB Report Brief

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accident Information
Accident Date: Tuesday, 1986 Dec 30, 09:30 EST
NTSB ID: NYC87LA054
Accident/Incident: Accident
Accident Location: FAIRFAX, Vermont
Aircraft N-Number: N94336

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aircraft Information
Aircraft Make/Model: CESSNA 152
Maintenance Type: Annual, Last Inspection Type: Annual, 1986 Dec 11
Airframe Total Time: 1796 hours
Source of Maintenance Information: Pilot/operator report
Engine Make/Model: LYCOMING O-235-N2C
Number of Engines: 1
Rules Flight conducted under: 14 CFR 91
Operation: Instructional
Load Description: No load

Location Information
Departure Point: Same as Accident Site
Destination: Same as accident/incident location
Accident Location: Off airport/airstrip
Accident Elevation: 300 feet

Weather Information
Basic Weather Conditions: Visual meteorological conditions (VMC), Daylight
Visibility Restrictions: No visibility restrictions
Precipitation: No precipitation
Weather Information Source: Pilot

Pilot Information
Pilot: Renter, 22 years old, male
Pilot Certificates and Ratings: Commercial, Flight instructor, Single engine land, Multiengine land, No other ratings
Instrument Ratings: Airplane
Flight Instructor Ratings: Airplane SE
Medical Certificate: Class 1
Medical Certificate Valid: Valid medical-no waivers/limitations
Date of Last Medical Certificate: 1986 Jan 14
Current BFR: Yes
Source of Flight Time: Pilot/operator report
Pilot Time All Aircraft/Make+Model
Total Time: 1153 hours / 970 hours
Last 90 Days: 58 hours / 45 hours
Last 24 Hours: 1 hours / 1 hours

Accident Information
Weather Briefing Source: No record of briefing
Type of Clearance: VFR
VFR Approach/Landing Type: Simulated forced landing
IFR Approach: No IFR approach
Airspace at Accident Location: Class G
Control Area at Accident Location: No control area
Two-way Communication: Yes
Aircraft: Damage: Destroyed, Fire: No fire, Explosion: No explosion
Property Damage: No property damage

Injuries (Fatal/Serious/Minor/None)
Highest Degree of Injury: Serious
Pilot: 0 / 1 / 0 / 0
Student: 0 / 0 / 1 / 0

Accident Narrative:
THE CFI REPORTED THAT HE HAD INITIATED A SIMULATED ENG FAILURE FOR THE STUDENT. THE STUDENT RESPONDED PROPERLY TO THE SIMULATED EMERGENCY AND LINED THE ACFT UP ON AN APCH TO A FIELD. AT 200 FT AGL, THE STUDENT WAS INSTRUCTED TO GO-AROUND AT WHICH TIME FULL POWER WAS APPLIED AND CARB HEAT WAS REMOVED. FLAPS WERE RAISED TO THE TAKEOFF SETTING AND THE ACFT STABILIZED BUT WOULD NOT CLIMB. THE CFI TOOK CONTROL OF THE ACFT AND SHORTLY THEREAFTER IT STALLED AND SPUN INTO THE FIELD.

Occurence #1: Miscellaneous/other
Phase of Operation: Maneuvering
Findings 1: Emergency procedure - Intentional - Pilot in command(CFI) (Factor)
Findings 2: Supervision - Inadequate - Pilot in command(CFI) (Cause)

Occurence #2: Loss of control - in flight
Phase of Operation: Go-around (VFR)
Findings 3: Stall - Inadvertent - Pilot in command(CFI) (Cause)
Findings 4: Remedial action - Inadequate - Pilot in command(CFI) (Cause)

Occurence #3: In flight collision with terrain/water
Phase of Operation: Maneuvering

Accident Cause:
Supervision: Inadequate, Pilot in command(CFI); Stall: Inadvertent, Pilot in command(CFI); Remedial action: Inadequate, Pilot in command(CFI). Factors related to the accident were: Emergency procedure: Intentional, Pilot in command(CFI)
« : June 26, 2007, 09:38:00 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
NorthFairfaxBoy

« #10 : June 26, 2007, 09:44:04 AM »

The crash was on my 18th birthday.  So it puts it at 20 years last December.
« : June 27, 2007, 07:19:37 AM NorthFairfaxBoy »

Brian Farris

Mojovt

« #11 : June 26, 2007, 08:40:04 PM »

Wow....where did you find that info, Henry?

Scott Day
Henry
Administrator

« #12 : June 26, 2007, 09:14:14 PM »

Well Scott, its amazing what you can google when you type in Fairfax Vermont Plane Crashes:

[/b]

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: