Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 02:59:09 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax Bloggers
| |-+  Uncle Mike's Thoughts Of The Day
| | |-+  Picture of the Day 8/26/10 and Blog- 20 Minutes into the Future
« previous next »
: [1]
: Picture of the Day 8/26/10 and Blog- 20 Minutes into the Future  ( 3221 )
MikeF9
: 1994

« : August 25, 2010, 09:57:28 PM »

Thursday August 26, 2010
Picture of the Day

This crinkly Rolling Stone magazine ad has been on my bedroom wall for over 20 years.

20 MINUTES INTO THE FUTURE

Imagine a world where an on/off switch on a television was illegal.
A world where a President was chosen based on which network had the most viewers at a given moment.
A world where a network has exclusive rights to a terrorist group, allowing that network to be the first on the scene after an attack.

Welcome to a world 20 minutes into the future.
Welcome to a world of Max Headroom.

Back in the mid-1980's there was a music video show in England with a computer generated host. Max Headroom. They eventually made a show that showed how Max came to be. Max suddenly garnered interest here in the states, and ABC commissioned a show to be made in 1987. It never really caught on, mostly, I think, because it was ahead of it's time. Some people didn't get it. I did. It ranks in the top 3 of my favorite TV shows, and now all 14 episodes are on DVD.
The story revolves around reporter Edison Carter of Network 23. He broadcasrs globally with his own camera. His controller, or producer, is Theora Jones. She follows him with a GPS-like device, and can plan an escape when trouble surfaces. The world is almost post-apocalyptic. There is homelessness, but televisions are everywhere. And networks fight to keep their viewers through however means possible. After an accident, a teenage computer genius, downloads Edison's memory, and creates a new computer generated entity, that calls himself Max Headroom because Edison crashed into a gate that gave instructions that the maximum headroom was so many meters. Max Headroom- 3 meters.
Great stuff. I've been waiting for this show to come out on DVD and now I have it.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
ASDuling
: 75

« #1 : August 28, 2010, 09:09:07 AM »

Max Headroom was a great show. After that, Matt Frewer had another short-lived, although brilliant, sit-com called "Doctor, Doctor". I still quote lines from it that no one gets.

If you want a great trip down Rolling Stone memory lane, you should visit the LP store in Burlington (I think it's on Cherry St?). He has issues of Rolling Stone from the 80's on the wall and I remember reading all of them. The Pee-Wee Herman issue was a classic.

BTW - I finally saw the Dr. Who movies David Tennant did. Thanks for setting me straight that those were important to the series. The next season will make so much more sense!
MikeF9
: 1994

« #2 : August 30, 2010, 08:42:20 AM »

I, too, remember Doctor, Doctor. That WAS a funny series. I don't remember any of the quotes, though.

The new series of Doctor Who is FANTASTIC! Matt Smith is great. The DVD comes out in November.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
: [1]  
« previous next »
: