Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 01:01:39 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  budget meeting
« previous next »
: [1]
: budget meeting  ( 4286 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« : May 21, 2009, 10:04:52 AM »

I spoke with the Governor's office this morning and he has arranged a meeting on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 9:00am at the People's Trust Company Conference Room 1 Franklin Park West in St. Albans. The location is the newish building that houses the home branch of  PTC and is located on the right where the lights are, just before you reach the turn for the Hannaford shopping center. The purpose of the meeting is to inform and get feedback from Franklin County residents, especially farmers and small business people, regarding the budget proposals.

As you know there are now dueling FY2010 budget and revenue plans, one is the legislature's and one is the Governors'. I voted against the legislative version due to the high tax increases.

Please try to attend the meeting.

Rep. Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House of Representatives

Carolyn Branagan
edakrupp

« #1 : May 28, 2009, 06:43:53 AM »

Hi Carol,
How was the budget meeting? Any pressing questions answered? What's the report? Sorry I didn't make it, but I am very interested in what happened? Eda
Carolyn Branagan

« #2 : May 30, 2009, 06:23:00 AM »

Hi all,

The budget meeting held in St. Albans on Tuesday was very well attended. I'm not great at estimating crowds, but I'd say  60 people or so, standing room only. There were mainly business people who spoke, though some school employees and social service people also contributed to the discussion. Most Franklin County legislators were there, including Gary and I. Good discussion. Of  course the Gov spoke most of the time, since it was his meeting.  He shared his concerns and proposal. Those attending emphasized concern over high taxes and squeezing business out of the state. A few mentioned the social needs arising from lack of employment and a need for increased tax revenue to cover these needs. After the  St. A. gathering the Governor went to  Colchester and Williston for similar meetings.

I spent 3 days in Montpelier this week trying to gather information, bring folks together and find common ground. It looks to me like we're headed for a showdown Tuesday.The vote to sustain will be  very, very close.

Stay tuned.

Rep. Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia

Carolyn Branagan
edakrupp

« #3 : May 31, 2009, 07:20:57 AM »

I would really love to see someone take the raines and figure out how we can get Vermont to become more profitable. Without taxing or cutting. I mean really get to the root of the issue and make a viable solution that helps in the long term, one that doesn't hurt people.
Carolyn Branagan

« #4 : May 31, 2009, 08:00:18 AM »

I've been talking about economic development elements for years. With adequate businesses located here in the state we'd have the solutions to a lot of our problems. We'd have jobs, health care and tax revenue enough to pay for the services government needs to provide. By 'adequate' I mean the kinds of businesses Vermonters tell me they want: small, green, clean, contributing to the betterment of more than just our state. Vermont can be a leader in dealing with the warming of the environment, can be the breadbasket of the Northeast and can provide a restful, productive place for visitors to come and enjoy our precious natural resources. For example recent changes to our laws have allowed the captive insurance industry to locate here in Vermont,  generating nearly $50 million in tax revenue from a clean industry most have never heard about. On the other side many have left  Vermont or never located here after a good look at the permit process, roads and lack of welcoming from the state government.

The way to provide the kind of environment where businesses want to locate is not that difficult. What to they want?  #1  businesses are looking for a motivated and educated workforce. This is almost always top on the list. Vermonters know how to  work hard, and if we can manage to keep our high quality schools in tact we'll be a long way toward continuing to offer this #1 business need.  After that,  but not in any particular order: safe, well built transportation system, an electronic infrastructure offering broadband and cell phone access statewide, help to navigate the permit process, and many businesses want to be within a half an hour from an airport.

Keep in mind we are in a cyclical downturn aggravated by unwise actions in the national housing industry. Vermont is no longer insulated from the rest of the nation. But things will improve. I want to  be sure when Vermont emerges from this recession we are better able to attract business and employers. Existing small businesses are already the backbone of Vermont's economy.

from, Rep. Carolyn Branagan

Carolyn Branagan
: [1]  
« previous next »
: