Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 09:14:54 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Very, Very Popular Item This Weekend
« previous next »
: [1]
: Very, Very Popular Item This Weekend  ( 2985 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : April 21, 2008, 07:37:28 AM »

Some people push it and some people pull it - As for me I pull it towards me which seems to save my back, however one can indeed get pretty dusty & dirty.

I decided last Friday it was time to get the dirt off from the edge of my lawn near the road and I learned many years ago that there are a number of ways to do that, along with getting the crushed stone off your lawn from the winter's driveway plowing.  The tool above which costs you about $46 for a day, or $36 for a half a day is kind of a miracle tool for a guy like me.

Don't know if you have ever tried to rake crushed stone off the lawn back in the driveway or not, but it is indeed no mean feat.  The last year before I discovered the Power Broom, I was out there with my wet/dry vacuum vacuuming it up off the lawn.  Got a few weird looks from passerbys as I was vacuuming the lawn, but it was better than the other way of using a rake.  I did notice a guy, however, down in the village yesterday vacuuming his lawn with a wet/dry vac.

I called down to Franklin Rental Friday morning where I usually rent my power broom and was placed ninth on the list.  Don't know just how many power brooms they have, but asked them to put me on the list.  I called Milton Rental and they told me if I promised to bring it back before 5 p.m. that night that they would rent me one.  Decided I would go ahead and do that and actually was able to get it picked up do the part of my lawn I needed to do and bring it back in less than 4 hours.

A person can't justify buying one of these, as the last time I checked they cost over $600, but you certainly can't justify not renting one, especially if you have a crushed stone driveway and the crushed stone gets plowed on your lawn during the winter.

Henry Raymond
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #1 : April 21, 2008, 08:44:55 AM »

I've always been interested in trying one of these but am reluctant because of what it might do to the lawn.  As any fairfax resident knows, we've got a lot of sand in these parts and trying to grow grass in it is tough.  I've had an uphill battle for the last 7-8 years or so, each year i get a little bit farther with growing a little thicker lawn.  the road side area is alway sthe bad spot as there's just so much sand that grass really can't grow.  My fear is that i invest a few hundred in putting down topsoil, get soem grass to grow and then the next year yank it all our with oneof these contraptions.

Anyone have info to put those fears to rest?  i'm no spring chicken anymore and anythign i can do to preserve the back is a good thing i feel.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
dearon
: 233

« #2 : April 21, 2008, 10:29:12 AM »

We bought one at Champlain Equipment last year and absolutely swear by it.  We have a long driveway and a property in Georgia to take care of as well.  We have sandy soil and some parts are wet (we get going right after the snow melt), it has never hurt the lawn.  The powerbroom only sweeps up the stone or chunks of sod, that have been plowed up during the winter.  It is a good investment.  I for one don't like to rent these type of things because by the time you count your gas bringing it back and forth, your rental fees you have the item paid for in a few years. 
trussell
: 870

« #3 : April 21, 2008, 01:57:57 PM »

I used to sell the Husqvarna power broom at Harvest equipment in Swanton.  I believe they were $495 but can't really remember.  Because of the rubber tines, it doesn't hurt the grass.  Stihl makes one that can use metal tines, which I wouldn't recommend on grass but it does a great job on a parking lot.  Also, for small areas like walkways or decks, the Husqvarna will blow up to an inch of snow (and they even make a 4-stroke model which runs cleaner and quieter)!

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
: [1]  
« previous next »
: