Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 10:15:57 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Take Advantage Of The Sales Tax Holiday This Coming Saturday
« previous next »
: [1]
: Take Advantage Of The Sales Tax Holiday This Coming Saturday  ( 5097 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 01, 2010, 08:02:01 AM »

Vermont merchants said they have high hopes for the upcoming sales tax holiday and they're confident it will provide a much needed boost for their sales.

Last year, the Legislature approved two sales tax holidays for any purchase less than $2,000 that's normally subject to the sales tax.

I think the stores that do the biggest business will be the appliance and furniture stores.  Might want to check out how you can pick out what you want and buy it next Saturday.

Henry Raymond
trussell
: 870

« #1 : March 01, 2010, 09:51:02 AM »

Is that a $2,000 limit per household?  Per person?  Per purchase/store?  I haven't read much about it (Yes Mike, I can read).

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
greenek
: 54

« #2 : March 01, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »

Trevor,

I think it is $2,000 per item. Don't be surprised to see a number of big ticket items suddenly available for $1999.99 this Saturday.

Kevin
trussell
: 870

« #3 : March 01, 2010, 12:21:56 PM »

Cool.  I just happen to have an extra $2,000 sitting in my pocket.

No, not really.  I'm not Ed after all!

I may go buy a new cooler though.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #4 : March 02, 2010, 04:37:44 PM »

I went to the SuperStore a week and a half ago and did a "Layway" on a new couch and kitchen table & chairs.  It was great to be able to go prior to the Sales Tax Holiday and they will just run the payment on Saturday and deliver it next week.  I didn't have to deal with a ton of people and I got what I wanted and saved on the sales tax!

Very excited to finally have the new furniture!! 

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Shadylane08
: 125

« #5 : March 03, 2010, 08:27:29 AM »

I went to a store last night and was looking at an item that was quite a bit more then the $2000 limit but I was told by the head salesman that eventhough the dollar amount is over the $2000 tax free limit you can still get it tax free up to the $2k, but have to pay normal taxes on the remaining amount over it?  Does anyone know if this is correct?  I was under the impression that the whole item dollar amount has to be under $2000.  By the way this was a pretty reputable store, so we're not talking a walmart, or something like that.
mrome
: 37

« #6 : March 04, 2010, 08:34:17 AM »

The salesman was incorrect. The way the tax break law is wriitten, it applies only to items under $2000. It does not provide for a tax break on the first $2000 of an item purchased. 

Margo
Shadylane08
: 125

« #7 : March 04, 2010, 10:51:02 AM »

Thats what I thought too!  Thanks for the clarification
: [1]  
« previous next »
: