Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 04:31:23 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Another Glitch Causes Higher Renovation Costs
« previous next »
: [1]
: Another Glitch Causes Higher Renovation Costs  ( 2530 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 29, 2010, 09:48:44 AM »

If your home was built before 1978, some new rules before you renovate/repair - For an old timer like me, I sometimes thing there is a lot of hype in this stuff.  My grandmother who lived to be 96 lived on Fairfield Ridge drinking water that came through lead pipes.  We kids were all brought up in a house that most likely did not meet the requirements specified in this new requirement.  You can bet your boots some of these contractors will be adding on a pretty penny to do work for you and blame it on this new requirement.

"With nearly 38 million homes in the U.S. that still contain lead-based paint, the Environmental Protection Agency has issued rules on remodeling older homes to reduce contact with the deadly chemical.

Next month, the EPA will implement new work practice standards for remodelers of older homes in an effort to reduce lead paint exposure, especially among children.

"The rules for containing the work area and containing the dust that results from the work being done, are a lot more strict now and a lot more clear than they've ever been," said Scott Burt of Topcoat Finishes, a local painting contractor.

The new standards will extend to builders, painters, plumbers, and electricians working in all rental housing built before 1978, as well as in older non-rental homes inhabited by children under age six or pregnant women."

More info at the following link:

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=12218373

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: