Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 03:54:22 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  And Who Will Eat The Fried Dough
« previous next »
: [1]
: And Who Will Eat The Fried Dough  ( 4078 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : February 20, 2010, 08:21:33 AM »

Well, my grandsons did a pretty good job of it - Since Catholics don't eat meat on Fridays during lent, had to come up with something that a couple of teenage boys would enjoy and the food of choice happened to be Fried Dough.  This was something that my mother made at least once a week, all winter long when we lived on Fairfield Ridge growing up.  She made her own bread because it was difficult to get out in the winter and the smell of that bread rising all night long was a smell I can still remember well today.  In the morning, the dough had overflowed on a large breadboard that sat on top of a wooden flour barrell and for breakfast it was a huge heaping platter of fried dough, eggs and coffee that Mother put on the table.  Dad of course had his usual oatmeal along with it.

Well, there was not the smell of rising bread dough at our house, because I use frozen bread dough loafs, but I have to admit that the end result still tastes pretty good.  My bread dough, which looks pretty much like mothers can be eaten a number of ways.  We don't pour syrup on it, nor do we make large wide pieces  like they do at the fair.  My homemade one is light and puffy.  We put peanut butter on it and dip it in Pure Vermont Maple Syrup, or some use just butter, or some use cinnamon sugar, or some use confectionery sugar.  Needless to say, the boys enjoyed it as well as everybody else and there were a few leftovers to send back to Bellows Falls:

Henry Raymond
slpott
: 457

« #1 : February 20, 2010, 09:36:57 AM »

Henry, you want a booth at Art in Bloom.? That looks pretty darn good.
trussell
: 870

« #2 : February 20, 2010, 10:02:25 AM »

Henry, I took your suggestion of using frozen dough to make fried dough while camping and everyone loved it!  Thanks!

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #3 : February 20, 2010, 01:31:50 PM »

One morning we had something quite similar while we were in Nicaragua.  It wasn't a raised dough, however, but it was warm and soft and delicious--no maple syrup to dip it in though!
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #4 : February 21, 2010, 03:55:51 AM »

And your alls cardiologist is??????????
: [1]  
« previous next »
: