Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 09:21:48 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Another Skunk Saga
« previous next »
: [1]
: Another Skunk Saga  ( 4373 )
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« : July 11, 2007, 04:28:06 PM »

Last week I saw a rather wobbly skunk trying to walk in  the driveway.  It could barely keep its body upright.  It wandered patheticly to the compost heap and my husband, armed with ski pole, went out to keep track of it while I made phone calls.  I called the Rabies Hot Line and was asked if I knew anyone with a "firearm."  Off the top of my head, I didn't know a soul, so the person gave me the phone number of someone who could trap it, but of course, at 2 PM he wasn't home.  And what sense did that make, anyway? 
I called my neighbor who was, fortunately, home and he came by and shot it.  I called back the Hotline and they said someone would arrange to come and get the body.  Well, they did, and I got a call today from Bob Johnson of the Dept of Agriculture and yes, indeed, that skunk was rabid, as we had assumed.    So, indeed, there are rabid skunks around Fairfax. 
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : July 11, 2007, 06:09:03 PM »

It appears to be a difficult thing to have animals taken care of.  I understand that someone tied a pit bull to the railing at the United Church this week and were unable to get the proper people to take care of it after it had been there for quite some time.  I am told that Jeff Blake, one of the selectboard members came down and took care of it, even though I don't think that is in the selectboard person's job description.

Henry Raymond
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #2 : July 12, 2007, 08:13:14 AM »

Yes, I heard that story too!  Fortunately, the folks who discovered the dog there gave it water and food, and Jeff Blake came by in the morning to take it to the pound. 
: [1]  
« previous next »
: