Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 07:13:35 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Big Doings On Buck Hollow Road Tomorrow
« previous next »
: 1 [2] 3
: Big Doings On Buck Hollow Road Tomorrow  ( 21615 )
mirjo
: 785

« #15 : August 26, 2010, 12:55:58 PM »

I didn't see these alleged burnout marks in the road, but I find this thread so irritating that I had to weigh in.

Complaining about rubber left on the road seems a bit over the top. I would understand the criticism if it spelled some kind of profanity, looked like an obscene gesture, or was a an impressionistic image of genitalia, but random burnout patterns, really?? Isn't there an actual pressing problem going on in town that would benefit from this type of focused complaining?

Apparently those of you crying vandalism etc., never did foolish stuff when they were younger being smarter than the rest of us or you have  easily forgotten your youth in favor of  hypocritical adulthood attitudes, because that's how you're supposed to act.

Since I happen to know the Langelier family, I am pretty certain this was just a bunch of good kids having fun (and being foolish) and not a bunch of vandals trying to mess up the gated community that is Fairfax, with the manicured lawns and roadways. Seriously, get real.

Josh, congratulations on your nuptials, I hope you had a great party...I don't know you personally, but I've known your mom & younger brothers for a number of years. :-)

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #16 : August 26, 2010, 01:21:25 PM »

Mirjo,    I agree

Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #17 : August 26, 2010, 01:45:13 PM »

Thanks Mirjo!! Means a lot.  I agree this talk of the burnouts is ridiculous!! obviously the people posting have never had any fun before or they were locked up as teenagers.  If you consider someone burning their tires vandalism or graffiti I would ask the kids of fairfax to please do this rather then smashing mail boxes or spray painting signs and the covered bridge.  I honestly don't see how the 2 even come close to relating.  I remember when i was young burnouts on main street were a regular occurrence and it wasn't just young people doing it either.

The other thing is its not like it happens every weekend it was a once in a lifetime deal people were having good clean fun no one got hurt.  Rubber marks fade away with time and judging by the reaction of 200 plus people at the party to the few that post that appear here i would say the people complaining are in the minority.  As far as it being and eye sore on the town of Fairfax, well the last time I heard someone say that they were complaining about my dad piling his cow manure in the winter.  I'll keep the comment we had for them to myself.

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
Stand Alone Defense

« #18 : August 26, 2010, 01:47:19 PM »

I guess my invite was lost in the mail.

Exactly how much do Constables make?????

Fricking SeaBees...................

Congrats, and feel lucky she chose you.

Sorry Mike you could have crashed I wouldn't have cared!!! It was a party in real SeaBee fashion everyone had a blast!!!

mirjo
: 785

« #19 : August 26, 2010, 03:28:55 PM »

Like I said Josh...the gated community that is Fairfax, with the manicured lawns and roadways...;-)

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Doyle78
: 46

« #20 : August 26, 2010, 04:31:18 PM »

first of all congrats josh best wishes for a long and happy future. as for the burn outs, they maybe considered an eye sore to some and yes it is illegal (it's called an improper start at least it was when i got caught for it). however on occasion law enforcement may look the other way.my wife was very good friends with kenny jerome when they were in high school, and i believe she told me at his funeral some of his closest friends did burn outs as a tribute to him. henry may be able to verify this, any ways i remember kenny as a youngster he was probably the burn out king of fletcher. i look at it this way, as long as no one is put in danger or they are not damaging the pavement then its their vehicle thats taking the brunt of the abuse. they are the ones buying the tires.
Stand Alone Defense

« #21 : August 26, 2010, 04:58:24 PM »

True the Magnans in Sheldon still put the sign out every year in front of their barn "SMOKE'EM FOR KENNY" as a tribute to Kenny. 

Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #22 : August 26, 2010, 06:42:44 PM »

True Dennis - Burnouts mean different things to different people - They were done in front of my house, so everytime I drove out and saw them a new memory of Kenny was brought to mind - Kenny was a great kid with a heart of gold and those particular burnouts were done as a tribute to him by his friends.  May you rest in peace Kenny

Henry Raymond
ansbaker
: 36

« #23 : August 26, 2010, 07:49:40 PM »

Starting Parked Vehicle = burnout
$156.00 civil traffic ticket
2 points
Jason Elledge
: 31

« #24 : August 26, 2010, 09:37:02 PM »

No, I was not locked up as a teen and I did have plenty of fun at other people's expense in my youth.  But, I paid for those mistakes and I was held accountable.  All a part of growing up.  I learned my lessons.  This incident was all in good fun, no one was hurt and no one's private property was damaged, unlike some of my past incidents.   Not a big deal.   Rubber fades.   Just an eyesore.  After a harsh Vermont winter, I'm sure the burn marks and "controversy" will be just a memory.   If I lived in Trenton, NJ or Lansing, MI, I wouldn't think anything of it.  Burn marks and graffiti are commonplace and part of the landscape.  I was actually amazed at how long the burn marks were.  Kudos to the driver(s) for maintaining control for such a long stretch.  I'm sure it drew quite a positive reaction at the party.  Again, not trying to be a party pooper or take away from the celebration.  But, it was a knucklehead thing to do and does step on people's toes in the "neighborhood". 

I am glad we do have the forum to talk about "trivial" and "annoying" topics  such as this.    If I was in attendance at the reception party or I lived on the other side of town, I wouldn't have even posted my original post.  Obviously pressed some buttons.   There are certainly more pressing problems to address around the local community and much more serious acts of vandalism, such as the recent break-in of the Fairfax Historical Society building. I stand by my statement that this was "vandalism" on public property.  A minor act of vandalism, but vandalism none-the-less.  No witch hunt, posse round-up or police investigation warranted.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #25 : August 27, 2010, 12:36:10 AM »

So it goes from a congratulatory thread of the Union of marriage between a man and a woman to a thread of the so called burn-outs?

Who is buying the next round?
Henry's forums rock.
Any idiot, like me, can come in here and jack them, yet the threads seem to flow in a positive direction.

Josh,
I checked the mailbox AGAIN, today....no invite.
Vtsharon
: 25

« #26 : August 27, 2010, 10:54:55 AM »

Congratulations to Josh & his lovely bride - truly wish you all the best!
As for all the burnout talk - every time I see one or the marks on the pavement, I think of Kenny.  Burnouts not realy what I call malicious destruction or damage of property (don't believe the road is unusable???). I guess everyone's perspective is different, especially if you've lived in more urban areas.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #27 : August 27, 2010, 06:03:13 PM »

Unbelieveable where this Congratulations started to where this conversation ended. Congratulations Josh!  I hope you had a super day! 

As for the burnout conversation, I guess I am a true Vermonter from the sticks because I loved the fact they did it! I also was a very close friend to Kenny as well and the tribute to him from Milton to Fletcher where he was buried consisted of burnouts all the way there.  I wore out my tires that day!  My Mom gleamed with smiles as the Mustangs tore it up in front of the house as she could not attend his funeral.  No one complained; not even the Milton police. 

In the case of Josh's wedding it was a form of celebration!

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
DrewCrash
: 104

« #28 : August 27, 2010, 07:22:10 PM »

Just because we have an opinion, doesn't mean we are trying to focus on solely on a problem or even suggesting we need to have the rubber police come to town. It's just an opinion. No different than how I shake my head at shows like Jersey Shore that ad no value but everywhere I look I seem to see these people. It's an opinion. Think about all the talk people had about what they thought would be the best solution for a successful replacement to the Country Pantry. Was that as important to focus on? Should we only talk about our education spending or health care? Some don't like the burnouts. I take no issue with a burnout, except in this case in which there is so much in one small area. It is that concentration that makes it visually unappealing.

And for the record, I am very disappointed that I have never own a car that can do a burnout like the one(s) that performed this sacred ritual (to some) this past weekend.

« : August 27, 2010, 07:26:39 PM DrewCrash »
trussell
: 870

« #29 : August 27, 2010, 08:05:16 PM »

And for the record, I am very disappointed that I have never own a car that can do a burnout like...

Me neither, but my Dad had a Chrysler Fifth Avenue when I was in highschool.... They always wondered why I didn't mind driving the boat :)
And empty Ames parking lot was like a playground :)

Oh, and congratulations Josh!

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
: