Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 02:12:51 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  People You Don't See In Fairfax Very Often
« previous next »
: [1]
: People You Don't See In Fairfax Very Often  ( 5238 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 24, 2007, 06:02:16 PM »

Hi All,

Was up at Minor's Store today and as I was getting ready to leave a big white van parked beside me.  The driver got out and was checking his oil, then a lady with a pale green very plain dress and white bonnett got out.  At first I thought it was a nun.  She looked over at me and smiled and then I realized it was an Amish Lady.  A young man in his late teens with a thin stragly beard on his chin then got out and helped another Amish lady out of the van.  Had my camera in the car, but know that Amish don't like their pictures taken.  Two things that were slightly different and that was Amish people riding in a vehicle and secondly you don't see them smile that often.

Almost went back in the store as I really wondered what Amish people would buy at Minor's Country Store.  I did check the license plates on the van and they were from Pennsylvania.  The thought passed my mind that maybe they were on their way to Johnson State College to drop off the young man who might be going to college up there.

Henry Raymond
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #1 : August 25, 2007, 10:30:11 AM »

I was in Kentucky visitng family and there is an Amish community in the area.  And for what ever they can't grow or make themselves, they get at?????

WALMART!!! 

I'll try and locate the photo I have of one of the horse and buggies out in front of it.

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
MikeF9
: 1994

« #2 : August 25, 2007, 01:34:45 PM »

We were heading over to Frogtown Speedway in Hogansburg, NY last summer. It's near Malone, but on the Akwasasne Indian reservation.(Yes, I'm sure I mispelled and mangled that name. Sorry. No disrespcet intended.)  Not sure of the town, but did see a horse and buggy with an Amish man and two kids in it going up the side of the road.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #3 : August 27, 2007, 07:33:33 AM »

Fourniers out in Swanton had his big Auctions this weekend. There is always Amish people there, as they can get horse drawn stuff there.

Just a guess
matter
: 3

« #4 : August 29, 2007, 09:55:41 AM »

Most likely she was a Mennonite as Amish do not ride in cars (I do believe). According to census data, Vermont has a healthy Mennonite community, around 300 people and three congregations.
matter
: 3

« #5 : August 29, 2007, 09:59:41 AM »

I should have done some searching before I posted:

"Gas-powered tractors are often used by the New Order Amish instead of draft horses. Beachy Amish are similar to the New Order, except that they may own cars. (The Old and New Order Amish do not object to riding in cars but to the ownership of them. This is due to the negative increase in freedom and individualism it gives the Amish men)."
mirjo
: 785

« #6 : September 10, 2007, 09:57:13 PM »

In Northern Indiana where there are numerous Amish and Mennonite communities, it's not uncommon to see a horse and buggy (or several) parked in the Walmart parking lot. Now there's an oxymoron!

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #7 : September 11, 2007, 05:05:55 PM »

http://www.amish.com/

no comment

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com