Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 05:31:06 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Busy, Busy Selectboard Meeting Last Night
« previous next »
: [1]
: Busy, Busy Selectboard Meeting Last Night  ( 4454 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : September 18, 2012, 07:43:22 AM »

Had one item I was interested in that was on the Agenda for last night's meeting, however several other items of interest came up. 

The Town Office Building group was in to report on their findings.  Appears that a lack of interest or participation by Town Voters is making it difficult for them.  I expect to hear about a special meeting coming up, possibly this Thursday night and will be posting it if I hear more.

My main reason for attending was to see what the story was on the town creating its own web site as nobody had mentioned it to me and I saw that it was going to be on the Agenda from the last Selectboard Meeting.  I told them I was willing to give them all the data I had from past Selectboard, DRB and Planning Meetings, however, they would need to acquire their own domain and design their own web site.  The young man, Nick, who was proposing this, threw out a number of $9,000 for designing a web site which perked my ears up.  No need of spending that kind of money.  We have a number of people here in town who are capable of designing web sites and I am sure would design it for nothing - Not a big deal.  I don't know what a domain costs, but am sure it is not very much.  The Host that I have with tons of space only costs me $99 a year.  Whoever designs it needs to keep in mind that they will need to design a template that will make it easy for someone to update the site with the additional minutes to meetings as well as a calendar.

Anyone interested in this should contact Stacy Wells so she can put them in touch with a new group who will be looking into this.  My regular forum and web site will still be here and I will plan to link to the new one the town has on the index of my web site, however, I do have to make plans as I get older to keep this going, even though I may be under the sod.  I have already contacted Mary Kay who will most likely oversee the site which allows people to input and express their opinions and inform the viewers of the latest goings on.

Not sure how long the meeting lasted last night, but looked like they were going to be there for a while yet - That selectboard has a lot going - Thanks to all for their time for the very small stipend they get.
« : September 18, 2012, 09:32:26 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
lena6
: 357

« #1 : September 18, 2012, 07:57:53 AM »

Henry, you are one of the people who cannot ever leave us.  We cannot get our day started without you.  We love you.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #2 : September 18, 2012, 05:25:51 PM »

I agree Dad, $9,000 is a lot of money when we have people in the community that may do it for very little to nothing to set up a web site that allows updates.

Also, if you have a web site built with a ton of graphics, those users who have dial-up still or trying to view it on their smartphone, this we have to consider in our area, can make it very slow and messy to read.

Keep it simple, make it easy to find the information and even the not so savy internet browser user will be able to find the information they are looking for.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Sue W.
: 167

« #3 : September 18, 2012, 05:39:05 PM »

I wish every town had a Henry, you are a treasure!
gasman353

« #4 : September 18, 2012, 08:26:35 PM »

Henry, you a great person for doing what you do and your pride for our town is amazing.

I have my own website powered by blogger for $10 a year it technically is a blog, however my sister designs websites, and it is not nearly $9000. 😳
JCushing
: 12

« #5 : September 19, 2012, 04:46:50 PM »

Henry I agree on a number of points. I've created several websites, including the Class of 79 one, on free host sites.I could only imagine what I could do for $9000!!! Certainly all the town would need is to buy a domain and perhaps give a small stipend or internship for someone(s) to maintain it weekly.  What does BFA do for the school site? Surely they don't spend 9G's on it.

I also agree you are a treasure. I long ago moved away from Fairfax but I still consider it "home" and with out this website(s) I'ld be lost! I learn so much and keep in touch with the town and state because of you. I can't imagine what it would be with out it.I'm glad to hear your planning for it to continue for a long time but I certainly hope the same applies to you too! Thank you so very much for providing all of us this town treasure of history!
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #6 : September 20, 2012, 06:42:54 AM »

The Town of Fairfax will not be constructing a website for $9,000.
Nick mentioned he had seen a bid for a $9,000 website once.

Thanks to Henry for providing this site.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
: [1]  
« previous next »
: