Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 08:11:09 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Dead Deer In Fairfax Village On Maple Street (View With Discretion)
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Dead Deer In Fairfax Village On Maple Street (View With Discretion)  ( 9378 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 13, 2010, 09:25:35 AM »

I just got a call from a lady on Maple Street who tells me that she has found a dead deer in her driveway on Maple Street.  She says she lives right next door to the Webers (Where Dorothy King Used to live).

I can't get down to take a photo and I tried calling Mike Cain and got no answer - Anybody got a camera they can snap a photo of it with - They are waiting for the game warden to come.
« : March 15, 2010, 06:30:14 PM Henry »

Henry Raymond
trussell
: 870

« #1 : March 13, 2010, 09:39:46 AM »

Geez, where's Special Ed when you need him?

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : March 13, 2010, 12:29:13 PM »

Went down to the village a short while ago, but saw no signs of the dead deer and received no photos - Missed opportunity I guess

Henry Raymond
Judi
: 508

« #3 : March 13, 2010, 02:15:33 PM »

I don't get excited about pictures of dead deer anyway!
Kathleen
: 167

« #4 : March 15, 2010, 07:15:27 AM »

I think we're getting carried away in this forum when we have to start posting pictures of roadkill.
special ED

« #5 : March 15, 2010, 05:22:07 PM »

RedNEK
: 9

« #6 : March 15, 2010, 06:21:58 PM »

Holy Cow what do we think happened? Anyone?
Mummy
: 280

« #7 : March 15, 2010, 10:32:05 PM »

YOU need to contact the POLICE this is NOT normal.  That deer was NOT shot!  YOU all know that!  Please whom ever found that deer needs to contact the Game Warden AT LEAST.  When your family cat or dog shows up with this same injury it will be a different story! 

This is NOT normal injury!  And you all know this!
slpott
: 457

« #8 : March 16, 2010, 05:00:27 AM »

Mummy:
The Game Warden is the one who came and took the deer away. This deer was chased by dogs and ran into a chain link fence breaking its neck and then eaten by the dogs. That is what the Game Warden predicted. It could be suggested that people keep their pets on a leash in their own yard not running freely.
Judi
: 508

« #9 : March 16, 2010, 06:47:06 AM »

For the 7 years we have lived in Fairfax there has been a pack of wild dogs or coyotes in the woods near the Pidgeon farm corn field on RIver Road.  You can hear them all howling really loud on many nights.  Sometimes it sounds like they are chasing something and get all stirred up and then the noise stops abruptly as if they caught what ever it was they were chasing.  It was most likely a fox or wild dog rather than a domestic one if in fact the dear was eaten after injury don't you think?
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #10 : March 16, 2010, 01:50:21 PM »

There are alot of Coyotes in that area to I've heard and seen them down across from NANS Mobile.

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
ohhman
: 469

« #11 : March 16, 2010, 02:12:33 PM »

That looks like the deer we saw running up from the rec-path then through the school parking lot the other night; nothing was chasing it then.  Poor little thing!
I agree with Judi about the coyotes;  last night about 9:30 there was a group of them yipping across the river & another group answering back just down the road from us past the school.  If you've ever heard them, it's an eerie sound, makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up!  Any of our dogs we've had over the years never make a sound when they hear that sound, almost as if they are afraid.  We have seen the coyotes up at the farm; awhile back I mentioned they were chewing the sap line tubing, were playing in the fields & Josh saw one too; they are a pretty animal when healthy, but I guess don't serve much purpose (maybe the happy wok could find use for them? just kidding!)  Past years Dale has let a trapper go to the farm for them; I protested as I don't thing the leg holds are very humane, so hopefully that doesn't happen anymore.  We need our marksmen to make that quick shot....JOSH WHERE ARE YOU???.karen................oops, you posted as I was trying to get through....dial-up is sooo s-l-o-w!!!!
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #12 : March 16, 2010, 03:15:32 PM »

Really?  the theory was that it broke it's neck and dogs started to eat it?  Don't know if anyone else notices - but when animals start to eat things they don't arbitrarily select any area.  They look to go for the places where there's meat and it will easily tear away.  Even if, by chance there were animals not well versed in eating a kill, that still does not look like a entry wound for eating. to start with it's way too neat.  even if the deer was dead for a while and thus drained of fluids. there still would be bloody areas where whatever was eating it was salvating and tearing.  I can see where one might think it was something eating it though.
my guess:  it was chased at night, visibility was low to nil and it ran into something sharp - though even that theory has holes - as there would be considerable blood loss and evidence such. 
     Well that's my CSI moment.

As for the coyotes/ wild dogs.  We hear a pack of something back behind the house along the riverbank on goosepond.  It sounds like iwerd laughing at first, then you catch on that there's no teenagers in the woods with idiotic laughs.
freaky stuff.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
slpott
: 457

« #13 : March 17, 2010, 05:37:04 AM »

It is my understanding that wild dogs will eat it but not domestic dogs. Having had a dead dear in my yard, It is the only education I have. Mine had a much larger hole and they thought it was hit by a car. Suprised that the wild dogs did not get to it yet. Who really knows. We can guess all we want to but a dead deer is a dead deer. Only the deer knows what really happened. Sad no matter what happened.
cedarman
: 370

« #14 : March 17, 2010, 06:43:43 AM »

Not sure about the "domestic dogs won't eat it".  Our dog has been known to drag deer "remains" home from the side of the road.  The injury looks like something that would be seen as a result of being hit by a vehicle, but I'm not sure a slow speed <30 impact would cause that.  I've seen a couple deer hit at 50+ with similar injurys - especially in the shoulder/chest area where bones are forced out of the hide by the impact.  We have at least one deer a year hit near the corner of our property (hence the dog dragging things home if we do not find and bury the carcass in a timely fashion).

Just my thoughts based on seeing the results of at least a half dozen deer vs auto meetings.
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: