Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 01:51:57 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  Library Announcements
| | |-+  Introductions from the Candidates for Fairfax Community Library Trustee
« previous next »
: [1]
: Introductions from the Candidates for Fairfax Community Library Trustee  ( 1729 )
Fairfax Librarian
: 870

« : February 18, 2017, 10:29:36 AM »

Meet the Candidates for Fairfax Community Library Trustee

On Town Meeting Day 2017, Fairfax residents will find three names on the ballot for two open positions on the Fairfax Community Library Board of Trustees.  The candidates are Christina Fearon, Eric Foreman, and Marti Sterin. 

Because all three candidates may not be familiar to each voter, the current Trustees invited them to submit a brief written piece, describing their backgrounds and interests, and why they wish to serve as a library trustee.  We hope the information they provided will help voters decide how to vote.  The Trustees feel fortunate that Fairfax voters have three such excellent choices!  In alphabetical order:

Christina Fearon

My name is Chris Fearon and I am running for the position of library trustee. I have worked at the University of Vermont’s Fleming Museum for thirty years as the curator of education and public programs, developing a wide range of interdisciplinary programming for people of all ages to enjoy and learn about the arts and cultural traditions from around the world.

In this role, I try to respond to the needs of different audiences—reaching out to community groups, initiating partnerships to strengthen educational opportunities, and designing creative learning experiences to meet the interests of a variety of visitors. It's important to me to foster a friendly, welcoming atmosphere for the schoolchildren, university students, families, elders, adults, and teachers who visit and use museum resources. Similar goals are also part of the Fairfax Community Library’s strategic plan. One of my favorite partnerships was with the Vermont Department of Libraries; each year I created a kids’ program linked to the theme of the summer reading program, which then traveled to towns throughout Vermont.

In addition to the museum, my employment has been in the arts, education, and human services, including work as a free-lance stained glass artist, tutor to teenagers with learning disabilities, and as an advocate in Fairfax with the Champlain Valley Agency on Aging, helping elders to access services so they could remain independent.

I believe that museums and libraries play similar roles in our lives--to pique our curiosity, stimulate our imagination, and promote lifelong learning. I would like the opportunity to become a trustee and contribute to the Fairfax Community Library’s ongoing success.

Eric Foreman

My name is Eric Foreman, and I am running for Library Trustee for the Fairfax Community Library. I have been living in our wonderful town since 2002. I would be honored to have the opportunity to share my expertise and passions with the town as a library trustee.

I have a PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering, and as an engineer, it is imperative I stay current on research in my field.  I am also active in improving the current knowledge base by being a prolific inventor.  At this time, I have over fifty patents granted.  I plan to bring this passion and creativity to support and improve the mission of the library.

I plan to use my technical skills, experience, and expertise to help further develop Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) opportunities within our town to help prepare people of all ages for our future.

I strongly believe we need to support our young children in our community, and I would like to focus on improving educational opportunities and resources.  My family includes two young children, ages 3 and 4.  My children are very involved with the library.  Because of their enjoyment and enthusiasm, I am personally motivated to be actively engaged to help improve their experience.

I also believe in the importance of providing young children with multiple opportunities to be exposed to a variety of high quality, developmentally appropriate text and social experiences.   I think our library does an outstanding job of providing events and resources for the youngest members of our town; however, I would like to improve on existing programs with new initiatives.

In summary, I believe learning is important at all stages of life. I will use my experiences, knowledge, and passions to improve and expand resources for all patrons.

Marti Sterin

I have had a library card at the Fairfax Community Library for 30 years. I used to come in so often that I never needed to show my card. However, never underestimate the value of a library card! While trying to navigate the trip from my hotel in D.C. where I had attended the Annual General Meeting of the Jane Austen society to the airport my credit card wallet was lost.  Months later it was returned to me via the library because my library card was among the cards.

I can’t remember when I discovered reading. I still remember the summer that I read every Nancy Drew book in our public library before moving on to “Little Women.” By 8th grade I was spending every Friday afternoon in the rare book section of the library. In high school I was a library aide. Since retiring as a CPA with the State of Vermont I have been traveling across the country and to Europe to meet favorite authors and attend conferences on different genres. My taste in books can best be described as eclectic.  A quick look at shelves in the room I am writing this in shows classics, fantasy, and historical fiction and nonfiction.  I had thought of running for a trustee position in the past but work and family prohibited it.  Now I have the time to devote to being a working member the Board of Trustees of our beloved library. In Fairfax I served as a trustee of The Bellows Academy Trust for two terms, on the rescue squad and as a Girl Scout leader. I hope that my history of service to Fairfax, love of books and business background will convince you that I am an ideal candidate to fill one of the vacancies on the board.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: