Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:46:29 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Montpelier Update
« previous next »
: [1]
: Montpelier Update  ( 3706 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« : May 21, 2005, 05:46:20 PM »

We are slowly winding our way to the end of the session. There are several  interesting  topics being discussed at the statehouse including  water quality,  whether  people  who  raise their own products and  then  process them  (like  winemakers  or  cheese   makers) should be called  farmers for  the Current  Use program, should we change the Vermont Economic Progress Council, health care and  fiscal 2006 appropriations.

Of  course a major  topic of interest  this past  week was Civil Commitment  for  violent  offenders who have served their sentences in prison.  I received  many  phone calls from constituents who remembered the Georgia shore murder about  20  years ago  which resulted in Kent  Hanson's  20  year sentence.  Many breathed a  sign of relief  when news reports came through Friday  that he'd  been captured and the woman he was  with was found still alive.

Fortunately Civil Commitment would not  be needed for  very  many  offenders  in Vermont, only  about 1 or 2 a year.   But,  I feel strongly  that offenders  who have a  mental abnormality or personality  disorder that makes them likey  to reoffend should be commiitted for mental  health treatment until they are found to be no longer dangerous. This is done  in 18 other states,  it is constitutional and a place to house them can be  found either  by  making  it  part  of  our  new  mental health  system that  will replace the Waterbury facility or by  contracting out  with another state.    

Well,  I could  go  on and on about this,  but  I'll spare  Henry's space in the Forum!  Watch the news this week,  I'm preparing an amendment  that  will  allow  Civil  Commitment  here in Vermont.

thanks

Representative Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House of  Representatives

Carolyn Branagan
: [1]  
« previous next »
: