Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 03:07:50 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Couldn't believe my ears
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Couldn't believe my ears  ( 14271 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« : December 13, 2010, 06:35:44 PM »

I am becoming increasingly concerned about the lack of knowledge our citizens have regarding basic US history, geography and civics.

During the campaign I spoke with a woman who did not know that her right to bear arms was guaranteed in the US constitution. A short time ago I was talking to some children about a man from town who had been on Corregidor, and they thought he had been in Mexico!

An adequate understanding of these subjects is essential. In fact a free and self-governing society is entirely dependent on a literate population: people who are well educated enough to make decisions on what is best for their own government. Even more important, I worry that if our young people don't understand the sacrifices others have made for us in years past to keep the freedom that we live with, they won't value it. 

What can we do? Talk at home to your own children about our nation's history. Home is where the best learning takes place. And please speak to the local school board. I am always impressed with the hardworking, dedicated Fairfax School Board, but they should know how important you feel it is that these subjects get vigorously and earnestly taught. There's a real need out there.

Rep. Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House of Representatives

Carolyn Branagan
mirjo
: 785

« #1 : December 13, 2010, 09:55:19 PM »

It seems a lot of basic stuff isn't being taught, for some reason or other, or not being taught in a manner that is interesting enough for anyone to want to pay attention to it, or it's being covered, but not with any sense of importance. I'm not sure which.

For several years, I was disappointed and quite surprised at the lack of attention being paid to basic information every citizen should have a grasp on--names/location of the 50 states, the capital cities of each state, and very basic geographical info like that pertaining to this country.

I remember learning the states in their regional blocks; New England, Mid Atlantic, Pacific Northwest etc. I also remember learning about the climate,vegetation, crops, industry, population and so on. I learned this initially in the 5th grade. I never had a clear indication that my kids got a solid background in any basic knowledge about the U.S.

I don't know if it's the demand to put so many other things on the curriculum or what it is, but it's discouraging. As is the continued budget cutting. I can't see where any of this is going to lead to anything good.  :-(

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #2 : December 14, 2010, 04:22:48 AM »

we need to raise taxes and spend more money so our kids can be taught about gay sex and other BS in school according to weasel
Thor

« #3 : December 14, 2010, 04:40:56 AM »

Geez Ed, so early to begin stirring the pot!!? Perhaps it wouldn't cost so much to make up the text books if they didn't have to be printed in two languages. I am sure the publishing company loves the need to provide bilinugual text books. What do we need those for again?

As Mirjo stated, they just dont spend enough time on the basics. Not sure why. Maybe because technology is so far beyond where it was when we sat there, that they need to spend alot of their time on that stuff in an effort to keep our kids "competitive" in the global market when they move on. Who knows. Obviously the basics are necessary, and ultimately all you need if all else fails. I would like to think that the kids are being taught most of the stuff we were, it is just a lack of interest on their parts that they choose not to retain it all. I mean, seriously, how much info can we expect a child to retain from school, when they have to remember to check their email, update their facebook, text their friends, reserve a new copy of "Ultimate Warrior" for their X-box, grab a DVD to play on their ride to school, etc..., etc... That doesn't leave much in available RAM to remember things like Corregidor or state capitals or any of that stuff. And if the parents are not interested in multiple subjects, they can have limited impact on the kids as well. I certainly don't try to force things down my kids throats, but I want them to be prepared for real life. Reasonable thinking, cognitive thought, deductive reasoning, fiscal responsibility, risk management and understanding consequence. If they can do that, at least they will have some level of capability and the basics.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #4 : December 14, 2010, 07:49:07 AM »

Most kids get on the computer and like to play games, maybe they would enjoy playing this one:

http://www.yourchildlearns.com/mappuzzle/us-puzzle.html

Henry Raymond
Sue W.
: 167

« #5 : December 14, 2010, 08:59:44 AM »

I agree, basics deserve more attention.  Our country's geography and history are very important, as well as learning the "times tables".  I have heard that the times tables are not taught by memorization anymore.  I learned many things by rote that are still with me today; the times tables, states and capitals, presidents in order, preamble etc. etc....world georgraphy, but that has changed so much that I am not up to date on that one!
 Creative spelling was another concept I clearly did not embrace for my children.  I believe phonetics are very important but not creative spelling.

Henry, I enjoyed the link you put up!  I was glad to know I still remember where the states are located. 
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #6 : December 14, 2010, 10:54:21 AM »

AHHHH finally!  soem folks are hitting the edges of our species problems.  That's right i said species as HUMANS are the animals screwing up this planet.  here's an idea : 1 word is the reason for wars, dwindling resources, disintegration of society and reasonable values........ know what it is?  Economy.  as long as countries and cities and towns seek out a way to make money inorder to fund their societies and porgress, there's always going to be crime, suffering, destruction of habitat ( for all animals including ourselves) and strife. 

Interesting - Humans aren't actually mammals - they move to an area, and consume all its resources untilt here's no choice but to move to another area.  There is another organism on thi splanet that follows the same pattern.... know what it is?  A virus.

there's some food for thought.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #7 : December 14, 2010, 12:24:44 PM »

An adequate understanding of these subjects is essential. In fact a free and self-governing society is entirely dependent on a literate population: people who are well educated enough to make decisions on what is best for their own government.

So true!! If you look at Afghanistan it is a prime example.  Most of their country can't read or write and because of this extremist have moved in and manipulated the Koran. They have taught them that it is ok to exterminate anyone one who does not practice their faith and have their beliefs.  Scary things can happen to and uneducated society.

Have to chime in on Ed’s comment to though.  Teaching 3rd graders about gay or straight sex is pretty retarded, it’s a parents place to teach that in my opinion. The other thing that annoys me is teachers pushing their political views on their students.  Fairfax has one teacher that is famous for that I won’t use her name but I believe that is out right wrong.

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #8 : December 14, 2010, 12:49:43 PM »

we need to raise taxes and spend more money so our kids can be taught about gay sex and other BS in school according to weasel

Umm...what?  This is out of left field.  I guess we see what's on your mind.  Well, to each their own proclivities...doesnt matter to me.  Ed, I think you are being a ridiculous buffoon, and now apparently a homophobe as well.  Yes, I want taxes so people can have a decent public education.  I'm sorry if you didnt benefit from one, and therefore think nobody else needs it either.  There are many people on these forums whose thoughts and ideas deserve attention and interest, so I will not waste any more time with you.

As to Josh's comment about sex education in school.  I think I had it in maybe 5th grade?  It was pretty basic and probably helped some kids, though I know that today, kids are starting much much earlier with that sort of activity.  Very different from my time growing up in the 70s & 80s.  I'm ok with schools teaching it, but parents need to have the right to opt-out their kids if they dont want them learning that in school, for whatever reason.
« : December 14, 2010, 01:34:31 PM GamingWeasel »

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #9 : December 14, 2010, 04:38:32 PM »

sorry to hurt your feelings weasel but people know exactly what is on my mine no gimmicks no guessing games just pure rod
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #10 : December 14, 2010, 05:12:55 PM »

LOL HAHAHA YOU SAID "Pure Rod" OMG that cracks me up Ed!!

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
Mummy
: 280

« #11 : December 16, 2010, 09:06:30 PM »

Carolyn has and excellent point and so does ED!  We value everyone's opinion on this website.

I also believe that the errosion of the FAMILY value is disappearing.  How does a parent teach a child to honor and respect when the parent is out having an affair with a younger man or woman?  How does a child learn to say NO when their parents aren't saying NO to ... you know drugs, alcohol or misc items?  How does a child learn when the parents don't have time to spend with this child because wife is too busy arranging pick up or drop off's to Mom or Dad or Step Mom or Step Day or His girl firiend or Her boy friend?

Have you ever stopped to wonder why the child needs to learn about alternative life styles?  Most likely what they have seen between Mom and Dad/Step Mom and Step Dad/ His girl friend or Her boy friend is .....  perhaps the child has learned .... that those relationships were not working. 

Family Values are disappearing - FAST!  Yeah, everyone wants to blame the School or the Teacher how about this .... BLAME the one in the Mirror!  It begins with YOU ---- the one some call MOM or DAD!  Something to think about folks.
mirjo
: 785

« #12 : December 27, 2010, 08:04:53 PM »

Seriously, Mummy? The need to teach kids basic knowledge about US geography, math, reading, and writing in school so they can become adults with at least a basic working knowledge, became a lack of 'family values"  being taught, because of divorced/separated parents and the addition of step parents, etc.?

While I get where you were attempting to go with your thought, I think you swerved t a little too far into the judgmental lane...'nuff said there.

Kids certainly have a lot on their plate, w/o a doubt and it is up to parents, regardless of the circumstances; together, separate, traditional or alternative to see to it that their children are loved, cared for, disciplined, do their homework and get the required education.

The 1950's/60's fantasy of the idyllic family with mom home baking cookies waiting for Jr. to come home from school so she can ask how his day was, before starting dinner and having that on the table in time for Sr. to arrive home, is history. Is this what we think is "family values?" I hear that term tossed around a lot in many circles, but i wonder if any of us (myself included) even know what we mean by "family values."

Surely,  it must include some of the things I mentioned above? I think a key component missing in family values is not teaching kids that family time is important--regardless of whether it's 1 day/ or 1 hour a week or or 1 hour a day  spent together at dinner or doing something else together.  Some families manage this quite well, others always have to have friends along.

The average family has two full time working adults and Jr has a full schedule also. A number of kids have extended families through divorce or separation and have double the amount of parents and while this can create nightmarish conditions for all, in some cases, it has the potential to be very beneficial. No child has ever suffered from being loved or looked after too much. The adults need to take an interest, no matter what the circumstances might happen to be.

The schools have a duty to teach need to realize that we can't send graduates out into the world w/o basic information. It really is that simple. Without  political or religious undertones.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
cedarman
: 370

« #13 : January 05, 2011, 08:32:00 AM »

"do their homework and get the required education. "

Agreed, but I think the initial concern posted about here was the content of the "required" education. 

Coming from an education background (but never having taught a full year of school), my concern for education in general is the tendancy to rely on repetition instead of thought.

While repetition/memorization is beneficial for some critical skills (like multiplication), other useful skills can be developed without it.  With the amount of deception, truth twisting, and "fact fabrication" in our world by politicians and media of all types, our new citizens (students) need to be taught critical thinking and analization skills. 

Possibly the hardest things to teach (instill) in people is a  curiosity to learn new things and a desire for life long learning, especially with the pace at which out world is constantly learning.
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #14 : February 01, 2011, 12:23:38 PM »

Does everyone know the three branches of our government ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLQg7G3hkGY

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: