Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 01:47:11 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Snack survey in Fairfax?
« previous next »
: 1 2 [3] 4
: Snack survey in Fairfax?  ( 30304 )
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #30 : July 03, 2011, 06:28:45 AM »

Well when someone pulls into the end of my driveway with no markings on their car and comes to the door uninvited how am I suppose to know their intentions........ It's not like the UPS or FEDEX guy I have no clue why these people are at my home or what they want to do.  Also parking at the end of the drive way and walking down to the house is just not common behavior and is something that raises red flags from the start with me.  My Platoon commander use to say "better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6" so better safe then sorry if you ask me.
« : July 03, 2011, 08:58:20 AM FXDHS »

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
Travis
: 141

« #31 : July 03, 2011, 08:49:41 AM »

Well said Josh.

Why do I carry a gun? Because I can't carry a cop.
sdogallen
: 51

« #32 : July 03, 2011, 12:27:42 PM »

I agree with you Lauri. Its pretty sad when you  feel like you have to greet everybody that comes to your door with a gun in your hand.
monte198
: 79

« #33 : July 03, 2011, 07:47:11 PM »

I was wondering when fairfax became the Bronx.?  When it became necessary to use combative tactics to meet individuals at your front door?  Or bring a gun to the door when the boy scouts come around for a bottle drive?   
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #34 : July 03, 2011, 08:26:35 PM »

I am polite and say no thank you when someone comes to show me something I am not interested in.  I DO NOT let them in my house, I will listen to people on my porch if I am interested.  I do have my cell phone on me and yes the gun is not far away. 

It is absolutely necessary that people become aware of strangers arriving to their house.  We have had many robberies in this town and we are all aware of the terrible tragedies this past year to those who have been abducted in Vermont.  So be aware, stay on your toes, and share the info with your neighbors.  This protects everyone.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
trussell
: 870

« #35 : July 03, 2011, 08:50:58 PM »

Part of the problem with this particular situation is that the salesmen aren't really identifying themselves up front.  I realize that of all people, vacuum salesman going  door to door have the "most annoying" reputation and if they had a badge that said "Electrolux" I doubt they would get anyone to open the door to begin with... But coming to the door with a basket of crackers just seems like an odd thing to do (and asking for the "woman of the house" is kind of surprising these days)!  Sure, every salesman has their own marketing technique but perhaps these guys should revisit theirs.  Just sayin.

And as several people have said, unfortunately you just can't be too careful now, even in little old Fairfax.  I'm not saying that I come to the door with a loaded gun, but anytime an unannounced visitor pulls in I'm at least on guard (of course it helps knowing that my neighbor watches my house closer than I do) and could defend myself and my property if I needed to.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
LauriH
: 53

« #36 : July 04, 2011, 05:19:06 PM »

I absolutely agree with trussell.  We had people show up on our doorstep a good year ago with the same sales pitch, so it seems that this must be the Electrolux standard method of operation.  It is probably time for Electrolux management to revamp their salespitch and be a little more up front about why they are on your doorstep.  Even though they are a pain in the but, it is still perfectly legal for them to knock on your door.

By the way, I worked for the census last spring and the overwhelming majority of people that I dealt with here in town were very pleasant. Judging from some of the reactions in this conversation, some people would be shocked at how often I was actually invited in to sit at the kitchen table or on the couch to do the survey.
LauriH

« #37 : July 06, 2011, 12:39:39 PM »

OK, today was my turn.  He knocked and I said I wasn't interested.  OK so I did have to say it twice, but he seemed like a pleasant enough guy and was soon on his way to the neighbors house.  No guns or military maneuvers involved, heck the dog didn't even bark.  I did have a fully loaded paint brush in my hand which could have really messed up his nice pretty clothes!   A fully loaded paintbrush wouldn't be considered a deadly weapon......would it?
Scott
: 152

« #38 : July 06, 2011, 02:00:55 PM »

...  A fully loaded paintbrush wouldn't be considered a deadly weapon......would it?

Pretty sure that different laws apply if it was loaded with a primary, secondary or tertiary color. Did you have a 2nd round of paint bucket on your side? ;)

Regards,
Scott
LauriH

« #39 : July 06, 2011, 02:47:56 PM »

It was white semi gloss and the can was on the kitchen table about 15 feet away (quart not a full gallon).
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #40 : July 09, 2011, 01:18:53 AM »

It was white semi gloss and the can was on the kitchen table about 15 feet away (quart not a full gallon).

You were legal, then.
Semi Gloss, 15 feet away.
Legit.

IN Anchorage, Alaska I was coming home this Friday afternoon after work, and for three major intersections, yes we have them here, there were two Police cars with two Officers standing on the corners with rifles out.

A bank down the road from my home was robbed and the robber fled on foot.
The bank at Northern Lights and Boniface was hit yet again.

I can't find it on any news website here that has posted it yet,,,,

So it happens EVERYWHERE.

LauriH

« #41 : July 09, 2011, 06:14:05 PM »

good to know
Mike Raburn

« #42 : July 10, 2011, 01:30:47 AM »

You should know.....

winnipeg1
: 2

« #43 : July 12, 2011, 06:48:34 AM »

I have 2 English Mastiffs that weight 200lb and 160 lbs. No one ever ask me if I want to buy anything. I guess if the owner of the house has a dog that weights more then them chances are we can't afford anything due to cost of feeding the dogs. If they do stop by I will get a plate number and make and model of the van.
Mike Raburn

« #44 : July 17, 2011, 01:27:46 AM »

Bio Friendly.

That is so cool.

BUT..... there is always one....

What if they are meth heads, Tweakers<, and they sicken your "puppies"?

just shoot the varmints, not you "puppies".
Mastiffs, are cool.
: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
: