Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 02:45:41 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Removing Honey From The Comb
« previous next »
: [1]
: Removing Honey From The Comb  ( 6786 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : September 22, 2014, 05:07:05 AM »

I was given some native honey still in the comb.  Anybody know how I remove it from the comb??

Henry Raymond
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #1 : September 22, 2014, 11:12:15 AM »

with a hair brush ????
Barbara
: 270

« #2 : September 22, 2014, 12:59:20 PM »

Although Ed's reply is entertaining I think the correct answer is you don't.  I spread the comb right on my toast.  The honeycomb I buy has a hard center piece of wax that I don't use but the cells of the comb are soft enough to spread and are totally edible.  If you spoon it into a hot cup of tea you will find it leaves a bit of a wax buildup on the mug.  This type of honey has wonderful health properties for those of us that experience the runny nose et al of ragweed season.  Consuming the comb from area bee tenders can provide the antihistamine balance naturally. 
Henry
Administrator

« #3 : September 22, 2014, 01:09:09 PM »

Mary Kay is quite interested in this because of her allergies.  She will be reading your response and I am sure will understand what you are saying.  I have heard that honey is very good for you.  We do have some one who has a local business with honey just down the road from me here in Fairfax.  It might even help my Copd and sure would be a lot cheaper than Advair.  Thanks Barb, will let you know how we make out.

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #4 : September 22, 2014, 01:24:07 PM »

This is our local beekeepers website:

http://www.greenmountainbeefarm.com/index.html

Henry Raymond
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #5 : September 22, 2014, 04:08:11 PM »

thanks barb....
Counselor
: 55

« #6 : September 25, 2014, 04:28:29 PM »

Comb honey is meant to be eaten as a whole.  Spread it on toast or take a spoonful and chew it up like a natural gum.  Feel free to swallow the wax, it won't hurt you. If you want local honey NOT in the comb, PM me and I can make sure you get some.
Henry
Administrator

« #7 : September 25, 2014, 05:35:35 PM »

I will check with my daughter & see if she has read your post.  She wants to see if it will help her allergies.  I know there are different types of honey.  Counsellor, are you aware of one that might be better than another for allergies?  Also, I am not looking for anyone to give me any honey, although the comb honey was given to me.  Will check out what Counsellor says, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Henry Raymond
Counselor
: 55

« #8 : October 14, 2014, 05:58:07 PM »

I would have to say that if there was a "best" it would be the honey produced in the fall as it generally has the most hay fever producing pollens/ nectar in it ... Ragweed, Golden Rod etc. I have several jars, but this was a bad fall honey crop in terms of production for me.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #9 : November 12, 2014, 11:00:20 AM »

Great info Counselor!  I am allergic to all grasses, trees, weeds, and many molds.  I have been told to get honey from within where I live and to have it on a regular basis and this will help me with my allergies. Which would mean less medicines and I am all for that!

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: