Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 07:37:46 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Anonymous Letter Regarding Full-Time Kindergarten Program
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Anonymous Letter Regarding Full-Time Kindergarten Program  ( 10185 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : November 05, 2008, 09:55:44 AM »

October 24, 2008
Dear Editor,

As a Fairfax taxpayer and as a parent with children enrolled at BFA-Fairfax as well as children who have yet to start school, my family will be affected in multiple ways if the BFA-Fairfax School Board implements a Full-Day Kindergarten Program. 

After hearing the Kindergarten Committees’ recommendation at the October 2008 School Board Meeting to implement a Full Day Kindergarten Program for an additional school budget increase of approximately $70,000.00, I took some time to research the benefits of an extended day versus a full day kindergarten program.

·   According to the VT Dept of Education, only 50% of VT communities are offering full day programs.  Additionally, the Department has no official opinion or recommendation on the length of day for Kindergarteners.
·   BFA-Fairfax currently has an extended day program, which provides an additional hour of curriculum, play, or instruction time for the teachers and children over a traditional half day program.
·   Researchers consider extended day programs, like ours, to be full day programs when comparing full and half day programs.
·   Reducing class size by adding an additional classroom created the same benefits as going from a half day program to a full day program.
·   Ideal class sizes for Kindergarten are 12-15 students.  (All of ours have approximately 20 students in each.)
·   The students who showed measurable cognitive gains were those labeled minority or low socio-economic.  The rest of the population had no significant measurable gain.
·   All benefits gained by these groups of students in a full day program are temporary, lasting no longer than 3rd grade.  (Some studies noted gains only lasted through 1st grade).
·   The studies do not look at the possible increase in negative side effects like exhaustion, over-stimulation, behavior problems, etc.
·   Childcare costs are reduced for families needing afterschool care.

Considering the research, I began wondering about our current Kindergarten schedule and practices. Sometimes, in the push to do more, we compromise on best practice.  For example, it is currently routine practice for the Kindergarteners not go outside for recess during the winter months or when it is cold due to dressing time.  Also, Kindergarteners have at least one Special every day.  We all want our children to experience art, music, physical education, health, and library.  However, according to the VT Department of Education, these Specials are not requirements for Kindergarteners.  It is worth noting that a quality age-appropriate Kindergarten classroom should already provide opportunities for art, music, motion, books, and teaching the importance of healthy habits (ie: washing hands).  This year BFA-Fairfax implemented a Full Day Kindergarten Program for those students identified as “at risk.”  Within this Full Day Kindergarten Program the children are allowed a 10 minute quiet time that does not involve lying down.  Most would agree that a 30 minute rest time that involves lying down with dimmed lights would be best practice and an appropriate plan allowing for the reality that some students will fall asleep and need to be allowed this time to sleep.  Consequently, I’m left wondering if we have increased our own expectations of our Kindergarten students beyond an appropriate limit; hence missing the mark and viewing the solution as adding more time to their school day.

Feasibility issues, like busing and lunch time, seem to further dissuade support for the implementation of a Full Day Program for all at BFA-Fairfax.  A proposal was made before the School Board last year to purchase another bus in order to accommodate Kindergarteners riding the bus in the afternoon; this was denied. The cost of an additional bus is not part of the $70,000.00 recommendation for a Full Day Program this year.   This leaves two unanswered questions:  What impact would these extra Kindergarteners have on the length of afternoon bus rides which last over 45 minutes for some students already?  What has changed since last year making another bus unnecessary?  Additionally, there have been concerns with Elementary students who get hot lunch having adequate time (more than 5 minutes) left to eat their lunch after going through the line within the allotted 25 minutes for the past couple of years.  With an influx of more students needing hot lunch, this problem would be exacerbated.  With the cafeteria already at capacity, it could not accommodate 60-65 more students, leaving me with the impression that the Kindergarten students would have to eat in their classrooms.  How much time would these 5-year olds have to eat once they walk down the hallway, wait in different lines for food/beverage and silverware with the other elementary students, walk back to their classrooms carrying full trays, and then return their tray back down the hallway?

As mentioned, this year BFA-Fairfax implemented a full day Kindergarten program for those students identified as “at risk” without any known cost increase to taxpayers.  According to the research, this appears to be a creative, cost effective solution.  Considering the current economic times where families are worrying about how to heat their homes, pay their current tax load, and feed their families, an additional $70,000.00 increase to our school budget is not an added tax burden our community needs.  In light of Kindergarten not being a requirement for our children, there would be no state or federal funds to help absorb this additional cost. 

In closing, the questions I am left with are:  Why is there a push to do more (and consequently spend more) when we have already implemented a solution in line with the research?  What will most 5-year old children actually gain in full-day Kindergarten that he/she would not gain at home, in childcare, or in the current extended day?

Sincerely,

A Concerned Fairfax Taxpayer
« : November 05, 2008, 10:01:54 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #1 : November 05, 2008, 12:52:53 PM »

I have been informed that the School Board does not respond to anonymous letters - I was asked to post it and so did, although I do not post all anonymous notes as it depends on the content and how it is worded.  I do encourage people to post their own in most cases.  I neither agree nor disagree with the above letter, even though I posted it for someone.

Henry Raymond
Mummy
: 280

« #2 : November 05, 2008, 01:13:47 PM »

I agree with the School Board and yet I agree with the Anonymous writer!  Had no idea I could even write an Anonymous letter.  After all these years of speaking up and paying the price now I find out I could have written Anonymous letters - SORRY but if it is important to me, it is going to have my face behind the words!
Henry
Administrator

« #3 : November 05, 2008, 01:27:24 PM »

Mummy, please note that I said I do not post all anonymous letters.  I read them and use my own judgement, depending on the wording in the letter.  I would not post anything that in my judgement would create hate and discontent in the community for someone else.
« : November 05, 2008, 01:32:30 PM Henry »

Henry Raymond
ansbaker
: 36

« #4 : November 05, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »

I received this letter as a school board member a couple of weeks ago.  Unfortunately, because it was not signed, it went into my recycling bin.  I'm happy to correspond with anyone who has issues or concerns that should be brought before the school board, provided however, they provide their name and contact information.  I do not view anonymous letters as helpful or productive.

Angela Baker
School Board member
ohhman
: 469

« #5 : November 05, 2008, 01:42:35 PM »

too bad you & everyone didn't take a moment to discuss this letter;  I know many that could have written it, myself inc.,  as a parent of 3 former/present students whom agrees with the contents of this letter!  It's time to stop & think about the cost of this & where else the $$ could be better put to use!  When Kindergarten is NOT mandated in our state & we OFFER 1/2 day program already (with fantastic teachers!), why are we spending this amt!!!  I missed the forum as I had other commitments, but have always felt we do NOT need a full-time K program!!!
CJB
: 16

« #6 : November 05, 2008, 07:03:43 PM »

I agree that if someone has serious concerns or comments regarding such proposals they should not do so anonymously.  Regarding the cons to full day kindergarten, there are many studies which have found significant benefits to full day kindergarten including higher academic achievement, decreased absenteeism in subsequent years, and increased academic, social, and emotional benefits.  I believe that parents should have the option to place their children in full day kindergarten if they think it is appropriate for their children.  Since attendance is not required parents would have the choice to opt out.

I am OK with paying my share to support this program even though my child will not benefit from it.  I think it's important for the children of our community to have all of the educational and extracurricular opportunities that we can provide for them.  As a community we should support those educational and extracurricular opportunities that benefit our students, not just those that we personally take advantage of.
logical
: 141

« #7 : November 06, 2008, 07:27:19 AM »

I agree that full day kindergarten should be optional and not a requirement. 

As stated by the anonymous writer of the above letter this year they started an afternoon session for children "at risk".  As the parent of one of those children I feel that even though it has only been a month since it started my child is greatly benefiting from this extra time.  The afternoon sessions have less children and hence they receive more one on one time w/the teachers. 

It is my understanding that children were selected for these afternoon sessions because they were very close to being where they needed to be academically but just needed a little extra attention to get them to where they should be. 

Although my child is benefiting from this program I realize that other children do not need this extra time or may not be able to handle the full day schedule.  Hence, this should be an optional program. 

Even if my child were not currently participating in the full day kindergarten I would support this program.  I feel that giving our children the best start possible is the most important thing.  Maybe we should look at other options for cutting back on the budget.  I just do not feel that it should be at the expense of our children's education.
Mummy

« #8 : November 06, 2008, 10:49:10 AM »

Every parent has the option for Full Time Kindergarten and it's called Tution of $400 a month and transportion to and from at a private school of your choice.  During this difficult time where some folks here in Fairfax are struggling to pay for heat and making adjustments on food because of $$$ issues.  I have to agree with the Anonymous Letter writer, but wish more folks felt like they could discuss this with their name associated.  At this time it would be selfish to ask the School Board to implement this program and it would also be reckless for this School Board to approve such a costly program!
logical
: 141

« #9 : November 06, 2008, 11:08:04 AM »

Maybe it is selfish to ask town tax payers to pay for this additional program at this time.  However, if we're not going to approve this program maybe we should look at cutting out unnecessary expenses in the school budget.  Maybe we should do an across the board review of what is being paid for.  Should we cut out say the sports programs, music program, art program, field trips?  I'm not for cutting any of these but if we aren't able to fund a full time kindergarten program at this time because of the state of our economy perhaps there are other things that can be cut for the time being as well.  Just a thought.

Dick Brown
: 414

« #10 : November 06, 2008, 12:07:45 PM »

Henry    All of these letters make really good points, and I applaud the writers for taking the time to put their feelings in print. I really don't think any discussion can move to a resolution, however, until the anonymous author takes the case to the Board as a concerned and informed resident. Clearly Angela, and the rest of the Board I suspect,  would be willing to discuss this subject,so why not identify yourself, or your group, and get it on the Board Agenda before the next budget is set and approved, usually in early January ???      Dick Brown
Mummy

« #11 : November 06, 2008, 01:49:42 PM »

Excellent observation Mr. Brown.
ohhman
: 469

« #12 : November 06, 2008, 01:56:09 PM »

Too bad people don't feel they can say who they are for fear of being blacklisted by those that feel differently!  I so agree: we do offer an adequate..actually very good K program here & for the ones at risk, it ought to be the parents responsibility to see their child's needs are met!  So many today do not take responsibility of their own_ they leave it up to the teachers, whom can only do so much!!!  We are a community that meets many needs of children;  I see so much more that is offered now than what was long ago for my first child;  but fact remains,  things are financially stressed for many & we should not further burden each taxpayer!  COME ON PARENTS, STEP UP TO THE PLATE & TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR EACH OUR OWN CHILD!!!!!  & for gosh sakes, STOP pushing it on all others to do it!  Take the time with own own child to do things as a family rather than all the extras that cost when what kids REALLY need is time at home as a family, time to grow up AFTER being a kid, parents that are actively involved in their lives & not just DROPPED off at events!!!!!  So much has changed since you were our principal Mr. Brown...kids are so different now & I feel some of this reflects on us as parents!  (hey, Mr. Brown, we are looking for a new principal, if you'd like to un-retire!!! I always admired your leadership when my oldest son was in school!)
Mummy

« #13 : November 06, 2008, 02:34:37 PM »

Mr. Brown things have never been the same since you left and I don't mean that in a bad way.   I recall you opening the school doors at 6am and giving the kids a basketball to play with!  You said that you would rather them being productive with something good to do than looking for something they knew they weren't allow to do.  Now you can't open the school door before a certain time!  You understood what the parents were dealing with and YOU HELPED both the kid and their parents by giving the kid a safe environment.  You understood that there were many in Town who could not afford an increase in their property taxes and YOU eliminated cost if you needed to purchase a big ticket item!  Last year the Town gave to the Building Fund close to a quarter of a million dollars!  Things are just spinning out of control here as if there is NO end to our pockets!  With your back ground many would seriously listen to what you recommend on a full day of Kindergarten at an expense to the Tax payer, what is your educated advise given the state of the economy?  Many here are retired or living on modest incomes when yet there are many building Half a million dollar homes asking the Tax payer to support everything Essex has to offer!
CJB
: 16

« #14 : November 06, 2008, 06:28:22 PM »

Every parent should have the option of sending their children to full day kindergarten whether their child is "at risk" or not.  It seems contradictory to say that everyone has the option of private school, $400 a month, but complain about the cost of full day kindergarten in our school district.  Using that logic maybe we should get rid of the program and let everyone use the private school option.  The belief that sending your child to a full day program at a young age is not responsible parenting is ridiculous.  It is each parents individual choice to determine what is appropriate for their children.
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: