Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 05:43:25 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Native Turkey vs Butterball
« previous next »
: [1]
: Native Turkey vs Butterball  ( 1502 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : November 20, 2007, 08:10:21 AM »

Hi All,

Was watching Channel 3 and they were talking about the Native Vermont Turkey.  Back when I was about 10 years old I used to raise turkeys and used to sell them oven-ready for 60 cents a pound - It sure was a lot of work, however, try as I might, I can't remember if they tasted any better than Butterball Turkeys or not.  A grandmother was talking about buying the Native Vermont Turkeys at Adams Turkey Farm in Westford and said she was buying one because her grandchildren were coming for Thanksgiving and she wanted to provide the best for them.

I actually remember my mother and father saying that they preferred Butterball Turkeys because they were more moist and that actually had nothing to do with the cost.

Back in our early years of marriage, Maryann used to order our Thanksgiving Turkey at the Pierce Turkey Farm in Georgia.  If I remember right it was located right around the Georgia Center Fire Station.  Went by there one time this summer and it looks like there are some remains of the old buildings.  Now that I think about it, maybe Native Vermont Turkeys were cheaper than Butterballs back then as with our financial situation in those days, just can't picture us going out and buying it if it wasn't more reasonable.

Just in case you haven't priced them, Native Vermont Turkeys are $2.69 a pound - Frozen Butterballs are .99 a pound and Frozen Store Brand are going for .58 a pound.  I guess you say if I stretch it a bit, I am in the middle.

Now, I strongly suspect I will be having an early Thanksgiving Dinner at our Senior Luncheon today - If not, I am sure Marion & Alberta will have something great.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: