Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 08:26:51 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  What does Fairfax want from the Constable?
« previous next »
: [1]
: What does Fairfax want from the Constable?  ( 10182 )
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« : January 10, 2009, 11:08:25 PM »

Hello All,

As most of you probably know I have been the secondary appointed constable in Fairfax for about 8 months now.  Well my appointment is up and the elected position is open as Ted Cantwell will not be running for reelection.  I wanted some input from people in town as to what they expect from the Town Constable before I decide if I'm going to run for the position.  While I do not mind handling the animal control problems in the town of Fairfax.   I would like to also put more of a Law Enforcement presence with in the town because I think the town could use it.  Of course I would have to OK this with the select board first but I just wanted to know how other people in town felt? So lets hear it?

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
slpott
: 457

« #1 : January 11, 2009, 08:14:15 AM »

I am all for the law inforcement. We have a wondeful town and if we do not patrol it, it will become like any other town. Not always does the town constible have the training you have and I say the town would be silly not to take advantage of this. If everyone networks and uses the assets that we have, we could save a lot of headaches and possibly lives of some. Just like the little child on the ice. Get the word out and make sure that does not happen. I thought it was wonderful how everyone was concerned and did not turn a blind eye. (Henry's web site is wonderfrul) The last thing we need is to lose a child on our river. I am all for it. I would also think that creating a "neighborhood watch" program would be a good thing too. I would be more than happy to help organize this. Thank you for your time and efforts.  It is truly appreciated.
carol
: 3

« #2 : January 11, 2009, 12:08:07 PM »

Is there any way the constable can offer a plan to the town concerning motorized vehicles on the rec path and school grounds? Members of this community put a lot of effort into creating and maintaining the rec path and sport fields. During the winter months these areas are rendered uncomfortable for many to use because of snowmobile use. The snow machines create tracks that warm and freeze making it difficult for pedestrians to use the path comfortably. Snow machines also damage the sport fields both near the path and on the school grounds. Just this past Friday I saw a snow machine driven on the school grounds in the area where the flagpole stands. A notice was added to the Fairfax News concerning motorized vehicles on the school grounds and recreation area. However, those that continue this behavior pay no attention to such notices or permanently affixed signs. They treat public property as if it were their own to damage and destroy as they please. Can the position of the constable and other town officials come up with a plan that can bring this activity to an end?
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #3 : January 11, 2009, 10:46:15 PM »

Carol,

That would be something that the board would need to do.  The town would need to create an ordinance about motor vehicles in the park before I could enforce anything officially.

Splott,

Thank you for the encouragement,  I believe a neighborhood watch is and outstanding Idea.  With all the breakins and thefts going on I think it would do wonders in our community.

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
cedarman
: 370

« #4 : January 12, 2009, 07:53:16 AM »

I agree with a neighborhood watch program.  It would be a great idea.  A constable on occassional patrol would be a great idea too, as long as his/her job doesn't take on the role of revenue generater for the town (i.e. ticket writing for the sake of justifying ones job like the town cops in some areas).

I would be interested in seeing how much "damage" is caused by the snowmobiles.  If they were riding with little to no snow on the ground, they could certainly cause a little bit of surface grass damage, but if there is plenty of snow (as there is now), a snowmobile's path doesn't cause any more damage than people walking on the snow and packing it down.

(FYI, I'm not a snowmobiler, but I just know there are some people who hate all ATV's and associate any tracks with "damage").  I hope that is not the case with the previous post, and they are talking about some legitimate damage, not just calling something they don't like (packed snow from a snowmobile) damage.
stewarp
: 21

« #5 : January 12, 2009, 08:56:02 AM »

The School Board will be addressing this issue as the safety of the numerous  community members and our cross country ski team  using the hills and trail on the school grounds is a major issue and a concern for the entire community.
ohhman
: 469

« #6 : January 12, 2009, 10:14:53 PM »

I'm very glad the board will be addressing this issue as again today I watched as a snowmobiler with a green sled cruised up down while classes of students were using the hill, (different classes @ different times), along with our younger elementary out walking on the fields.  It's bad enough to see 3 or more sleds racing the fields at night, but at least there are no kids there at the later eve hours.  Not sure what the constable can do as far as law enforcement, but whatever is legal, possibly getting the kids blowing donuts in the school lot as cars are parked there, and keeping the kids from destroying school property, although it seems to slow down in the cold, may be a good start!  Even trying to keep a few kids up to no good with slashing tires may be good!  Yes, neighborhood watch is good, IF people aren't afraid to confront kids in fear of retaliation!  A few years back a school custodian & myself chased a kid vandalizing a shed at the school field; not sure whatever came of it but I know for a fact the kid was taken by an administrator & the mess was left for the custodians & myself to clean up....lesson learned? hmmm!
katrinaantonovich
: 162

« #7 : January 13, 2009, 10:38:40 PM »

I believe the park is posted about motorized vehicles - I'll check as soon as my kids get better. I know I mentioned it specifically mentioning snowmobiles in the last town report.
carol
: 3

« #8 : January 14, 2009, 07:31:27 AM »

Please understand that I am not against the use of snow machines, ATVs, or any other vehicles that fall within the off road category. I use an ATV on paths that are approved for these machines, and if I had a snow machine I would use the VAST network. These vehicles can be useful and exciting pieces of equipment.

Yes, the park is posted with signs at both ends prohibiting motorized vehicles. I have given up using the rec path in the winter months because the snowmobiles create tracks that warm and freeze in such a way that it is too easy to turn an ankle while trying to stay on the path. If I had skis or snow shoes, I would venture out there. However, I thought the idea of the paved rec path was so that people could enjoy it during all seasons. It just bothers me that a few people seem to think that they do not have to follow the posted rules and render the path uncomfortable for others to use.

As for snow machines causing damage to the ball fields, it has been shown that this does occur. The tracks caused by the machines pack down and create sections that remain frozen longer than sections with undisturbed snowfall. When the warming months come around, the ground does not thaw evenly and pockets of the fields need to be repaired before the fields can be used for sporting events. Because of the uneven thawing, it is common for the grass to grow in some places and not in others. This also has to be addressed by the grounds keeper.

On both the rec path and the school grounds motorized vehicles are prohibited. In both cases, when snow machines are run on them there is damage to public property. Whether the damage is temporary, seasonal, or even permanent, it is still damage and should be addressed.
slpott
: 457

« #9 : January 14, 2009, 09:01:06 AM »

I know this has turned away from the topic at hand but I must respond. I find it amazing that people think that they can do whatever they want. We took the VAST trail off of our property last year after someone came in our driveway and did cookies bt my back door, after a number of complaints about the speed they were going while we have kids and animals that live up here. I found it totally disrespectful so that one person ruined it for everyone. This year we have man made trails again right across the front of our property. Would not be a big deal if our leach field drains were not there and covered in the snow. What will happen when one of those gets broken down from someone coming on my property that does not know where they are? This is what amazes me about taking it upon yourself to use and treat others property the way you wish without penallty. I think the rec path is all of ours and everyone should respect that and abide by the rules. A camera system might be cheaper than all the repairs that will be needed if this continues. I am all for a "NEW SHERRIF" in town. Who will replace the pavement when it gets damaged? All the taxpayers or just the ones that damage it?
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #10 : January 15, 2009, 08:12:06 AM »

I admire Joshua for seeking input from the community!  I agree that there needs to be  a greater 'law enforcement' presence in Fairfax, but what can just one individual do?  How does the selectboard, state regulations direct the constable's activities?

What do you, Joshua, envision a constable doing, other than helping with animal control?!

All the concerns expressed in regard to snowmachines and ATV's on school  land, or places that are inappropriate  are legitimate.  I have always been troubled by the young people riding  their ATV's on the roads at high speeds, but I am not sure this is something the constable can easily  address.   

trussell
: 870

« #11 : January 15, 2009, 11:22:28 AM »

By state statute, the Select Board has no jurisdiction over an elected Constable.  As long as a Constable has had the proper (Law Enforcement) training and has not had their powers limited by the voters, then the Select Board has no say over what the Constable can or cannot do.  Some towns have had problems with their Constables, or just don't want the "liability" of the Constable doing L.E. activities (although the last time I checked, the town's liability insurance policy covered the Constable for at least $2m), so they vote to limit the powers- such as doing animal control only.  That being said, I do think it's important that the Select Board is on the same side as the Constable- it's hard to do a job like that effectively with little or no support from the people in their position.

-Trevor

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #12 : January 15, 2009, 03:09:57 PM »

Thank you, Trevor, for clarifying the relationship between the Constable and the Selectboard!
ladiblu2
: 11

« #13 : January 16, 2009, 02:54:41 PM »

I would like to know the constables phone number so we can call him to respond to dogs barking on the Sam Webb Rd. at all hours of the night.
And maybe he can be aware of the developement and zoning boards actions, that have passed, so these can be monitored to see if they are being followed.

Suggestion... call surrounding towns to see what their constable does.
melissabeerworth
: 18

« #14 : January 16, 2009, 03:59:08 PM »

Here is a link to the Vermont Statutory reference to Constable's duties.

http://www.leg.state.vt.us/statutes/fullsection.cfm?Title=24&Chapter=055&Section=01936a
« : January 16, 2009, 04:03:44 PM Henry »
: [1]  
« previous next »
: