Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 12:09:43 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Let's help disabled veterans
« previous next »
: [1]
: Let's help disabled veterans  ( 2496 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : January 21, 2009, 10:10:27 PM »

IS IT TOO LATE TO GET THIS ON THE BALLOT FOR TOWN MEETING?    THERE ARE OTHER VETERANS IN
FAIRFAX THAT WOULD LIKE TO SEE THIS HAPPEN!

PLEASE READ REFERENCED ARTICLE BELOW.
   AT THIS TIME, FAIRFAX ALLOWS ONLY A 10% DISCOUNT, IT WOULD BE A NICE TO BE ABLE TO

VOTE ON INCREASING THIS RATE.  PLEASE READ ARTICLE BELOW AND LET ME KNOW IF IT CAN BE ADDED TO

THE BALLOT, IF IT IS NOT ALREADY ON IT.

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR THOUGHTS ON PUTTING THIS IN YOUR FAIRFAX NEWS?

RICHARD WARREN

-------------------------------------------------------------------------REFERENCE--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Published: December 15, 2008

Want to give a 50 percent or more disabled Vermont veteran a New Year's gift?

Check with your town/city and those communities around you to see what is being allowed these veterans for the Vermont State Property Tax Exemption. If it is less than the state allowed $40,000, please attend a selectboard/city council meeting and encourage leadership to recommend increasing the amount to the $40,000. Ask the board or council to make it a ballot item to be voted on by the residents at Town Meeting in March 2009. Then "let the people vote." They will support it given an opportunity to do so.

The history of the cost to the communities has been pennies to the property taxpayers. Almost 29 percent of the communities in Vermont have already raised their exemption to $40,000. Many communities, however, still have a $10,000 exemption, which was established 31 years ago, while others have a $20,000 exemption which was set in 1991. Haven't property taxes increased since 1977? Most of the qualified veterans in Vermont never saw an increase of their exemption. I really don't believe it was intentional but rather just one of those oversights that happen in life. We can now make it right! Mission First: People Always

The mission first is to get the property tax exemption raised to $40,000, as a way to say thank you, to these deserving veterans, for their service. It is the right and fair thing to do for these people who served their country, state and hometown asking nothing in return. Without your help it won't happen.

Lou Lertola

South Burlington

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: