Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 01:59:45 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Undeterred Somali Pirates Hijack 4 More Ships
« previous next »
: [1]
: Undeterred Somali Pirates Hijack 4 More Ships  ( 3050 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : April 14, 2009, 08:53:57 AM »

What a sad situation - Who is going to want to send ships in that area??

NATO says Somali pirates have hijacked another cargo ship in the Gulf of Aden, the fourth ship seized in the last two days.

NATO spokeswoman Shona Lowe says the Lebanese-owned MV Sea Horse was attacked Tuesday off the Somali coast by pirates in three or four speedboats. She had no further details.

Earlier, Somali pirates captured the MV Irene E.M., a Greek-managed bulk carrier sailing from the Middle East to South Asia. The Irene was seized in the middle of the night Tuesday — a rare tactic for the pirates.

Somali pirates appear undeterred by U.S. and French attacks that have killed five pirates in the past week during hostage rescues, including that of an American sea captain.

Pirates have vowed to retaliate for the killing of their colleagues.

Henry Raymond
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #1 : April 14, 2009, 09:06:22 AM »

Unfortunately, it's going to take some major military assets to be sent to the region to stabilize the Marine situation.  However that won't solve the root issue - which is the instability on land.  Which again, would require other countries getting involved - sending in troops to squash the pirate's stronghold on shore and to establish law and order in an area devoid of it.  But then - that would creat another IRAQ situation where some would see it as an occupation and then another insurgency would probably occur - and a situation like Iraq in that region would be VERY bad. 

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: