Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:49:15 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  unemployment still too high
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: unemployment still too high  ( 11101 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« : January 23, 2011, 10:57:50 PM »

I was disappointed to see that last week's revenue report contained continuing low employment numbers. It is no surprise that almost all areas of employment in the state have fallen since the economic peak in June 2007.  Low employment means high unemployment. Before the recession Vermont’s unemployment rate was one of the lowest in the nation, and it still is low at 5.4%.  The highest is Nevada at 14.5%. But it is best not to brag too loudly about Vermont’s ‘low’ unemployment rate around those who are out of work.

Within our state the unemployment rate varies greatly.
Chittenden  5.1%
Windsor      5.7
Washington 5.9
Orange        6.0
Franklin      6.1
Addison      6.1
Windham    6.1
Bennington 6.9
Caledonia   7.0
GrandIsle    7.0
Lamoille     7.2
Rutland       7.3
Orleans       8.7
Essex          9.0

The only areas of employment that show growth are supported by public dollars:  local government employees, health care, social assistance and education. It’s hard to call that economic improvement, and certainly the overall economic health of our state is hardly showing any improvement at all.

We need job growth in construction jobs, especially housing construction. Also helpful would be growth in employment for retail trade and manufacturing. When these areas pick up we’ll know the recession is finally on its way out.

For more information on the economy or any area of concern with our state government contact me at cbranagan@leg.state.vt.us

Rep. Carolyn Branagan

Vermont House of Representatives     

Carolyn Branagan
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #1 : January 24, 2011, 11:15:30 AM »

It would  be wonderful for growth and economy stimulation if St. Albans let Walmart come into town and others that have shown interest. Franklin county needs the retail and construction to grow.  Canadiens would not drive to Williston but spend their money in St. Albans.  Which would increase local retailers to gain in sales.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
slpott
: 457

« #2 : January 24, 2011, 11:41:12 AM »

I would assume that this would mean the chance of lower taxes?????
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #3 : January 24, 2011, 08:14:18 PM »

You also need to factor in the many local smalll businesses that would inevitably fail if some corporate giant like Walmart were to open a store.  It happens every time a Walmart opens anywhere, and it is part of Walmart's established corporate strategy to run any competitors out of business, no matter how small.

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
j_gluck
: 38

« #4 : January 24, 2011, 11:31:44 PM »

mkr - I'm not sure what others you are talking about that have shown an interest in moving to St. Albans. I agree with GamingWeasel that having a Wal-Mart will not be good for the other local businesses and could stifle growth.

Another aspect of Wal-Mart is that many of their employees wind up on food stamps or other public benefit programs because of the low wages they are paid.
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #5 : January 25, 2011, 08:09:07 AM »

And as proof for j_gluck, just look at how terribly all those other businesses in Williston are doing,
when you're down there stuck in traffic packed with cars full of cash.
look at how it has, and I quote "stifled growth" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Competition is good for business and necessary for the consumer.
(We get to choose the best price available).
Others interested in moving to St. Albans (with a WalMart) include Chili's and TGIFriday's.

I don't mind paying taxes for those who work, to help them make ends meet.
I resent paying taxes for those who shoot-up and break into my family's home.

and I'm still extremely happy j_gluck is home, safe and sound !
He and the weasel are good neighbors.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Papi
: 66

« #6 : January 25, 2011, 09:28:54 AM »

Please give us some examples of what "local small businesses" would be driven out by Wal/Mart? 
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #7 : January 25, 2011, 10:37:22 AM »

Chris, you took the words right out of my mouth it sure looks like all the business's in williston are really suffering hahaha.  If anything having a WalMart in Williston and not in St Albans is causing local vendors to go under because when people go shopping everyone goes to Williston!! Not to mention a lot of the small vendors like the ones on main street deal specific items that WalMart does not carry.
« : January 25, 2011, 10:43:27 AM FXDHS »

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
trussell
: 870

« #8 : January 25, 2011, 10:52:02 AM »

I think Weasel is referring to all the other stores that sell bath towels, bed sheets, kitchen supplies, Christmas decorations, and televisions in St. Albans.  Heck, even though a large portion of Walmart is devoted to food items I haven't seen them drive grocery stores out of the area!

Tractor Supply didn't exactly drive Harvest Equipment, Exit 18, or Champlain Valley Equipment out of business, even though they directly compete- often with lower prices- with these businesses.  Any business that relies on being the "only one" as their means for survival is just inviting failure.  For a business to succeed they need to offer a good product at a reasonable price and provide good customer service- including returns, exchanges, and helping customers.  As a buyer, I don't purchase items solely on price but based on the value- I look at several aspects and decide if a product is a good value from a particular vendor before purchasing.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
trussell
: 870

« #9 : January 25, 2011, 10:53:55 AM »

Oh, and btw- in the 12 years I've lived in Fairfax I rarely venture to St. Albans... Simply because there's "nothing there".  I won't make a special trip to go out to dinner, and I typically do my grocery shopping and other errands while I'm in Chittenden County- where the resources are!

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
cedarman
: 370

« #10 : January 25, 2011, 11:46:45 AM »

I'm the opposite of russell.  I rarely go to Williston or Burlington.  I dislike dealing with the traffic.  Going down there to the mall, Wal-mart, Home Depot, etc. is generally a special trip for me.  I have found everything I NEED is available in St. Albans, although it may require a couple of stops at different places to get it all.
The fact that St. A is on my way home certainly influences my choice too.

All that being said, I agree that a Walmart and some other large retailers would probably be beneficial to the county as a whole.  If you do a search for long term impact of walmart on local economies, you'll find several studies which demonstrate a negative impact to local retailers in the first 12-18 months, followed by a return to pre-walmart sales levels after approx. 18 months, and MOST retailers see growth 24-36 months after walmart moves in.

As for the people who work at Walmarts and end up on some form of public assistance, I think it is HIGHLY likely that they would be on some form of public assistance, if not fully supported by tax dollars even without a Walmart.  The majority of people Walmart employs are not going to be be teaching college classes, or designing rockets in the abscence of a walmart job.
fletchtb
: 310

« #11 : January 25, 2011, 12:16:36 PM »

For me, a Walmart in Saint Albans would not be taking money out of the pocket of local stores in Saint Albans, but rather Walmart in Williston. I am going to go to Walmart no matter what. We always find reasons to go to Williston in order to go to Walmart. It would be a lot more convenient to go to Saint Albans to shop at Walmart than to Williston and it would be a lot better for the overall county economy too.

Just my 2¢.
mkr
Administrator

« #12 : January 25, 2011, 06:34:49 PM »

Glad to see that people are in favor of this for all the right reasons.  Anchor stores such as Wal-Mart, Lowes, etc.  do drive consumer traffic to the area and provide jobs.  No they are not high paying, but in general reduce our unemployment and provide many a second job for additional income.

And while you are shopping in St. Albans, maybe you want to get a bite to eat and stop by a local boutique; that's what I do when I am in Williston. Ever wonder why a REAL restaurant doesn't last long in St. Albans..... increase the traffic base and you just might start making money people.

I worked in Williston in 1993 - 1995 at Copytek on Harvest Lane.  That whole area was baron, minus Gardener's Supply and UPS.  Now by adding an anchor store and then another, etc. look how well Williston is doing overall.  I can only imagine how much they contribute to the tax base as well.

I do hope that things turn around for Franklin County. St. Albans merchants have got to stop being so silly and thinking that they can drum up business.  Pebbles and TJMAX are ok clothes stores, but that is all they are really worth; unless you want to pay $80 for a purse.  Just think how busy they COULD be if people actually drove towards their city instead of away.

mkr
Administrator

« #13 : January 25, 2011, 06:51:12 PM »

Check out this link:

http://walmartstores.com/pressroom/statebystate/State.aspx?st=VT 

Actually the pay is pretty descent!  I have friends that barely make this at a job they have been at for 4 years.

"People
As of January 2011, the total number of Walmart associates in Vermont is 763.
As of January 2011, the average wage for regular, full-time hourly associates in Vermont is $12.83 per hour (Walmart Discount Stores, Supercenters, and Neighborhood Markets).  Additionally, associates are eligible for performance-based bonuses.
In recent years, Walmart has contributed four percent of an associate's eligible pay to their combined Profit Sharing and 401(k) Plan. "

"Taxes and Fees
Walmart collected on behalf of the state of Vermont more than $7.7 million in sales taxes in FYE 2010.
Walmart paid more than $1.5 million in state and local taxes in the state of Vermont in FYE 2010. "

slpott
: 457

« #14 : January 25, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »

I love TJ MAXX and Walmart will never put them out of business. MARSHALLS, TJ MAXX and HOME GOODS are alll associated if not the same. MARSHALLS is right next door to Walmart and I have never heard of a problem. Maybe there is. Aside from them there really isnt a discount place to shop unless you go to the malls. Yuck. I am a one stop shopper. Just my preference. Anytime I do interior decorating for people that is where I try to shop. They have great deals with quality stuff. Maybe I am addicted to those stores, not sure. hee hee
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: