Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 04:09:28 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Peanut Alergy at BFA
« previous next »
: [1]
: Peanut Alergy at BFA  ( 6292 )
slpott
: 457

« : August 15, 2010, 08:21:27 AM »

I know I am not the only one with an opinion about this but I just wanted to see how everyone felt. Should BFA close it's door to town events because there are a hand full of kids with a supposedly life threatening allergy? My feelings on this are very strong so I need to be educated. Please shareyour opinions.
Travis
: 141

« #1 : August 15, 2010, 08:36:14 AM »

I believe that the peanut nazi's have gone overboard, and not just at BFA Fairfax. Just this past year someone sued an airline because they hand out peanuts on flights. They try to make everyone else as miserable as they are. My wife used to work at the school, and I remember her bringing home a note saying that we should refrain from using nut based products at home so that allergens wouldn't be brought into the school. A little overboard maybe?

I have a daughter with a dangerous allergy to shellfish. Do you know what we do about it? We keep her from eating shellfish. It is our responsibility, not the entire town's, to keep our daughter safe.
« : August 15, 2010, 01:33:49 PM Travis »
slpott

« #2 : August 15, 2010, 08:50:20 AM »

One of my biggest questions is this? What happens when the child is out of school in the real world? I highly doubt people will cater to them. Our tax dollars are making this possible. I say take BFA back for the community the way it was and always has been.
sue
: 124

« #3 : August 15, 2010, 09:44:08 AM »

It is time to take back our school!!!  The children should not be getting a false sense of security @ school.  We should be helping them to navigate the real world and helping them advocate for themselves. 
Travis
: 141

« #4 : August 15, 2010, 01:32:51 PM »

To me it seems that they don't even understand their own kid's allergy. They had the school restrict all nuts, including coconut which isn't even really a nut.

The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology (AAAAI) states: "There is conflicting information on whether or not coconut must be avoided by tree nut allergic individuals. In the past, coconut has not been considered a tree nut and typically has not been restricted in the diets of people with a tree nut allergy. Coconut is in the palm family and it is actually the seed of a drupaceous fruit, not a tree nut. It does not cross-react with tree nuts. However, in October 2006, the FDA began to define coconut as a tree nut.There are a small number of documented cases of allergic reactions to coconut. However, most occurred in individuals who were not allergic to other tree nuts. Thus, it is possible to be allergic to coconut, although coconut does not cross-react with tree nuts. It is important to discuss this issue with your allergist/immunologist who can instruct you on whether or not you need to avoid coconut if you are tree nut allergic."
Sue W.
: 167

« #5 : August 15, 2010, 04:48:07 PM »

I agree that things have gone overboard in dealing with the peanut allergy situation.  My son recently graduated from BFA in June.  During his last 2  years in school, he attended Burlington Tech Center, the lunch schedule for one year was very difficult for him to eat lunch and make his class at BFA on time.  Most days he opted not to each lunch.  The peanut allergy rules made if impossible to eat on the run for him.  My daughter is allergic to bees and has learned to deal with that.  I thnk peanut allergies can be manaaged too. It seems a shame to lock out the church dinners, team pot lucks etc. from using the school facilities.  Just my two cents.....
slpott

« #6 : August 15, 2010, 07:34:43 PM »

2 cents plus 2 cents equalls 4. Lets just see how smart we can be.
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #7 : August 16, 2010, 12:39:23 PM »

Learn you have a allergy not teach me you have a allergy and I should change what I do so you are in a sterile environment.

rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #8 : August 16, 2010, 04:55:44 PM »

I think they should shut down the food program and make the parents pack a lunch for their kids talk about a savings
: [1]  
« previous next »
: