Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 11:37:08 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Christmas Traditions
« previous next »
: [1]
: Christmas Traditions  ( 3392 )
slpott
: 457

« : December 19, 2010, 07:44:29 PM »

I have always hidden the pickle on the Christmas tree and now that they are older they really enjoy trying to find it. If you find it on Christmas Eve you get to open one present early. We also spend a day making ginger bread houses (cities) and a couple of days making cookies to show our appreciation for the ones that take care of us throughout the year (mechanic, pharmasist, dr. etc).As a little girl  I could not wait to have children and make our new traditions. We have a lot of them really and I love it. I especially like the raw egg over the head on Easter. ha ha What a wonderful time of year. Merry Christmas to all from our home to yours. Shelly
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : December 19, 2010, 07:49:08 PM »

Shelly, I have to ask - Do you mean a real pickle on a Christmas Tree??  There has got to be more to this, I am sooooo confused??

Henry Raymond
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #2 : December 20, 2010, 05:45:13 AM »

we spend the week sighting in our flintlocks for late season muzzleloader....... merry christmas
slpott
: 457

« #3 : December 20, 2010, 07:18:57 AM »

The pickle is an ornament. I got one when I was in Germany but have also seen them from China. Depending on the country changes the meaning of it. One is for a gift and one is for a year of good luck. Last year they had them at Creative Habitat from China and it was a year of good luck. I have given them as gifts and they are a big hit. I guess you could create your own meaning as well. Lots of fun.
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #4 : December 20, 2010, 12:55:02 PM »

What great traditions Shelly!  I love how families all have their own special twist on the holidays. 

Growing up my cousin Jen and I took turns at my Mamere's to put the baby Jesus in the nativity on Christmas Eve. I always looked forward to it being my turn or when she lived in CT, LOL

My Aunt T always had presents wrapped for us weeks in advance and had them under the tree to make us wonder what they possibly could be! She loved to get us going.  She would play old 45 records of "I'm getting Nothing For Christmas" and many others.  It wasn't about the gifts but about the build up of the excitement of the holiday and celebrating the birth of Jesus. The house was decorated everywhere and you could not help but be in a great mood when you walked in the door!

My Uncle Larry was just as much of a big kid at the holidays as I was.  We used to have so much fun and he would get you even more excited about all being together!  When he moved to Florida, I used to start calling and begging in July for him to come home for Christmas.  He came home for many, which made the Holiday so special as we would keep it a secret from Mom and Dad several times, and I would pick him up at the airport and he would stroll in while everyone was at the dinner table.  My Mom's eyes would light up and the tears rolling as her baby brother was home!

My favorite tradition, being with all of my family at Mom and Dad's....... no better present!

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: