Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 07:00:43 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Citizens for Fairfax Community Jan. Minutes
« previous next »
: [1]
: Citizens for Fairfax Community Jan. Minutes  ( 6398 )
Mark Hunziker
: 45

« : January 27, 2010, 07:26:09 AM »

Citizens for Fairfax Community, Inc. (CFC)
6:30 PM, 1/26/10 Meeting Minutes:

HEADLINES:
▪   We now have most of the information we need regarding the costs of upgrading the Baptist building for a community center. The rest should arrive soon; and then we will move into conversations with all the parties about the purchase and other specifics needed to make the idea work.

      

In attendance: Amanda Duling,* Barb Duval,* Mark Hunziker,* Elizabeth Kirkpatrick, Bob Ertl, Katrina Antonovich
(* indicates Board-members)

Reports, discussion, and actions on agenda items:
▪   Amanda reported progress with creating a business plan. It appears that this may be more on an ongoing process than we had originally envisioned; since we can only address some issues with concrete details as we progress to points where the desired level of specificity is possible.
▪   Mark reported that two of the three sites that we had been looking at for the community center now appear to be unlikely to work out.
▪   Mark reported that the “condition assessment” and energy audit of the Baptist building have been completed, and the written report for one has been received. Based upon that report and conversation with the two experts, the costs (based on very preliminary number-crunching) of needed repairs and upgrades appear to be quite doable.
o   Copies of the reports will be sent to the church board and the Masons.
o   Once the second report is received, Mark will present the information to the church board and we will begin to work toward a commitment between both parties on purchasing the property.
o   Mark will also pick up the conversation with the Town Selectboard about the possible relationship between CFC and the Town regarding the community center.

Next Meeting: Feb. 23, 6:30 pm at the Hunziker’s home

Respectfully submitted,
Mark Hunziker, Secretary
« : February 01, 2010, 04:33:42 PM Mark Hunziker »
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #1 : January 30, 2010, 04:51:29 AM »

There are Baptist in FAIRFAX??????????????????

NO FREAKING WAY!

( I keed)
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #2 : January 30, 2010, 07:10:09 AM »

Well, Mike, it's like this:  Once, back in the day, there was an American Baptist church in Fairfax and a Methodist Church.  They fell on hard times so in 1939 the two churches decided to join forces and become a federated church.  Thus, we have the United Church of Fairfax.  The United Church uses what was the Methodist church building, which is on the corner of Fletcher and River Roads.  The Baptist Church building is on Main Street, has been used for years by the Masons, and once a year, worship services are held there to maintain its status as a church.  Other activities, such as church sales, the historical society Pie and Ice Cream Social, are held there.
The building has had its exterior refurbished through grant monies, but it is increasingly difficult for the church and Masons to maintain it to any reasonable standard. THUS...Citizens for Fairfax Community are exploring the possibilities of one day  somehow acquiring it to create into a much needed community center!
There you go....and notice I wrote AMERICAN Baptist, not SOUTHERN Baptist, of which, perhaps you were thinking.......
« : January 30, 2010, 08:43:00 AM Rev. Elizabeth »
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #3 : January 31, 2010, 01:42:23 AM »

Rev Elizabeth,

I meant no disrespect in anyway. I gather none was taken by your reply to my goofy post.

You enlightened me on the religious setting in Fairfax.

I did attend ST Lukes a few times prior to it being a store, burned, and re built!
That does NOT make me religious in any sorts.
---------------------------------
But Rev Elizabeth,

I live across a 4 lane road from a Baptist Temple........

It is hard to make LEFT turn out of my hood.

Can you help me??

They have a School there and it is a busy intersection.
God Bless them one an all BUT I WANNA GET TO WORK!!!!!!!!!!!

Would you call the Pastor for me???????

Please?

Are there REALLY Masons there???
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #4 : January 31, 2010, 07:29:03 AM »

A Baptist TEMPLE???

You know the saying, Mike, if you can't llick 'em, join 'em.

And yes Fairfax has  Masons--fraternal order of,  not the brick-laying kind.

Keep the Faith, Mike!
trussell
: 870

« #5 : January 31, 2010, 08:08:42 AM »

The Fairfax Masons DID do some chimney work at the Historical society though :)

And I agree Mike, a little time with the Baptists might do ya some good!

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Margie
: 156

« #6 : January 31, 2010, 09:58:12 AM »

I was more shocked by Mike's comment of a "four lane road".  You live in Alaska, right??  There is enough traffic for 4 lanes??  Amazing...
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #7 : January 31, 2010, 11:16:09 AM »

Does it run into our "bridge to nowhere" ?

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Chris Santee
: 2653

« #8 : January 31, 2010, 11:20:13 AM »

But, back to the original topic.

HEADLINES:
▪   We now have most of the information we need regarding the costs of upgrading the Baptist Center for a community center.

This is really starting to come together and I'd like to thank the visionaries on the board of Citizens for Fairfax Community.

Take Care & God Bless,
             chris
csantee@myfairpoint.net
(802) 849-2758
(802) 782-0406 cell
www.TheFairfaxNews.com
Judi
: 508

« #9 : January 31, 2010, 03:17:15 PM »

But, back to the original topic.

Thank you Chris for "following the instructions"  by keeping to the original topic, LOL
Mummy
: 280

« #10 : February 01, 2010, 09:25:42 AM »

Will they be selling this to the Citizens for Fairfax or leasing?
Mark Hunziker
: 45

« #11 : February 01, 2010, 11:04:39 AM »

Citizens for Fairfax, Inc. is in the very early stages of talking with the owners and other interested parties about the possibility of repurposing the Baptist Building as a community center. We are gathering information about what repairs and upgrades would be needed and the costs of the work; as well as about other possible "hurdles" we would need to deal with. We hope to have enough information in the next month or so, to be able to get down to specifics and make commitments between the parties.
Meanwhile, all options are open. But, yes we are thinking in terms of an outright transfer of ownership (a.k.a sale) of the building to the CFC.
P.S. CFC's monthly meetings are open to all "members" (and all interested Fairfax area residents are considered to be CFC members). We meet on the fourth Tuesday of each month. We do our best to publicize the meetings; but anyone who wants to be sure to get a reminder email, can let me know at mark@vtwellness.net.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: