Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 01:12:53 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Dialing 911 From A Cell Phone
« previous next »
: [1]
: Dialing 911 From A Cell Phone  ( 2049 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 31, 2009, 04:45:09 PM »

Henry after reading the forum today and 911 calls, do you know where yours goes to if you dial it with a cell phone?

I have heard many things and decided to call our local Sheriff's Dept. to ask them.

The dispatcher told me if I need to do that REMEMBER TO TELL THEM WHERE I'M CALLING FROM.  I don't know if this applies to the Fairfax area or others, but was told DEPENDING on where I am in the valley here it has several different ones it bounces off.  Then when I would let the 911 number know they would direct the call appropriately.

That was good to know.  I was glad I called and checked.

Bev

Henry Raymond
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #1 : September 02, 2009, 03:09:52 PM »

This is what happens when using a cell phone and calling 911. 

When you dial 911 and it is a Verizon Wireless phone, the cell phones have GPS locators to assist in determining your location.  If you have a Unicel phone they use the cell sites in the area to do a triangulation to determine your location.  I believe AT&T uses the same process as Unicel, but I cannot confirm that.

Of course if you are able to speak when you call 911 on your cell phone, and know where you are located, definitely inform the 911 center of that information.  But it is not the only way they will find you.

Also, when a call is sent to 911, based on the cell site you make the call off of is how it is directed to the appropriate 911 call center.  When you are near State borders, you may reach the NY or NH call center, but they are prepared to handle these calls if they do come in and they route the call appropriately.
« : September 02, 2009, 03:15:21 PM mkr »

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
: [1]  
« previous next »
: