Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 03:49:26 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Motivations in Athletics
« previous next »
: [1]
: Motivations in Athletics  ( 7556 )
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« : May 16, 2008, 10:12:40 AM »

I was a youngin once, not too long ago either.  I remember some of the things that went through my mind as a young and gifted athlete.  I try to use that knowledge in my coaching, sometimes to no avail, sometimes to my advantage.  Despite my mindful approach, I find it increasingly harder to rectify a positive approach and Maintaining order.  SOmetimes positive and upbeat approaches are mistaken for fun-loving and easy-going i guess.
     I've been coaching now for a few years, mainly my daughters teams.  I've realized as their lives get more complex with social issues and liking boys, they seem to get harder to teach and it's harder to hold a firm line and be respected for it.  I'm a firm believer in using fun and occupied attention to teach.  MY MAIN rule is respect.  There's always going to be times where the group is rowdy or we're having too much fun, but the norm HAS GOT TO BE RESPECT.  Without it, coaches can't teach skills effectively, players can't listen effectively, and the team can't nurtutre it's unity and integrity.  ALL important components of Team Sports and ALL a little more complex to teach Concisely.
     I coached a team of young adults this past year.  I absorbed a lot of information both directly and indirectly from these adolescents.  THOUGH they pushed the limits of my patience, of my respect for them, of indeed our very progress, they reaffirmed what MY MOTIVATIONS are.  Whether players play sports due to personal passion, or for public image, or for fitness, i'm there to help them excel at their goals.  I'm there to provide a regimented approach to preparation and execution of their training and contest play.  I WANT to be there because i WANT to see them succeed.  I'm there, dogging each one of them because I SEE their potential and It's my mission to bring that out.
     The first step is to talk out what our Motivations are on a team and then set a commonly-agreed upon goal outlining what everyone's role in achieving it will be.  Get everyone to 'Believe' and 'BUY-in' to plan.  One of my best seasons coaching we had a smaller than average team with some young players on it.  We talked about mindsets.  We talked about positivity on and off the court.  We talked about not only believing in ourselves, but also visualizing our successes.  And ABOVE all, keeping a mental calm.  Against many odds, that team that season went 12 and 5.   To this very day it stands out in my mind as a testament to what anyone and any team can do when they ALL believe it and thus work for it.
« : May 16, 2008, 11:02:58 AM Loctavious »

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
Loctavious

Follow The White Rabbit

« #1 : May 16, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »

I'm not so arrogant to believe that I'm the best coach out there.  I do seek to better myself whenever i can.  I've discussed this 'motivation and order' issue with other coaches... some of which make my style look subdued and passive :)  I've heard viewpoints and philosophies that spanned the spectrum.  From Iron Fist Discipline to Player-lead practices.  It's been suggested to me to find a 'learning opportunity' in all challenge.  It took me a while to really see the wisdom and logic in that saying.  It's a task that's deceitfully harder than it sounds.
     The Coaches who use Iron Fist Diplomacy as i call it, may have orderly and well-managed practices, but all too often that approach is prone to resistance and rebellion in one form or another.  there's something to be said for regimented and clear-cut consequences for your actions, it's just that the authoritative nature rubs youthful independance the wrong way - thus creating resentment and rebellion.
      The Coaches who are far too liberal in conducting their practices, almost befriending their players, may gain respect and admiration of their players, but in the long run lose valueable time and 'themed-practices' benefits.  Giving players a choice here and there and MAYBE letting them conduct some business WILL gain trust and attention of players.

Myself, I take a more middle-grounded approach.  I'm pretty liberal as long as theirs respect.  If my players can be respectful of each other and coaches, we tend to have fun.  If talking while the coach is, or slacking off in your drills, or acting like you don't want to be there is what i'm seeing, then i'm being disrespected.  I usually will give anyone 3 chances.  After the 3rd, it's time to take a more direct or drastic approach.  I explain my rules in a matter of fact fashion and convey that i'm explaing them so if they're consequenced for breaking them they know why and that it's only business. 

STILL though, no matter what teh approach, I firmly believe that before the season even begins, Everyone involved on that team, the managers, the players, the coaches, the families HAVE GOT TO sit down and talk about how expectations rules and the 'whys' of them, will guarantee we achieve the GOAL.  Sport meetings are somtimes not as beenfitial as they ought to be in accomplishing this.  Sometimes they're more about making players more awate of what they're ACCOUNTABLE for rather than what's actually expected of them.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

fletchtb
: 310

« #2 : May 16, 2008, 02:07:07 PM »

In what sports were you a gifted athlete?

Did you play professionally or in college or something?
Loctavious

Follow The White Rabbit

« #3 : May 16, 2008, 03:09:14 PM »

By gifted i meant i started and didn't play the bench.  started 2 years of Varsity Football - 4 years of Varsity Track.  Few years Basketball.

Mummy
: 280

« #4 : May 16, 2008, 10:43:51 PM »

Does that mean you will be sensitive to all children playing on the TEAM instead of playing only the most gifted?  How do you feel about several team members who are "playing the bench?"  I believe adults really need to review this practice of only playing the most gifted.  All children need to have a sense of purpose on every team in which they are members.   I have seen some adults view a High School sport like it was their child's only opportunity to achieve a college scholarship! As you know, from being a gifted player that rarely happens!
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #5 : May 18, 2008, 04:55:03 PM »

I come from playing the bench in some sports and Varisty as well as Captain in others.  Not every child can excell in all sports they try; as I was an example.  I don't believe that the challenges of being a coach with today's kids did he say he was only playing the gifted. 

I think you will find that those who don't listen or pay attention in practice and/or being disrespectful are on the bench more often than not.  Yes, those who work hard in practice and may not be your all stars deserve their chance to play.  I do agree with that. 

It's also important to remember that support comes from home and the coaches.  Take an active roll with your children to succeed in doing well.  Those parents who leave all of it to the coach are the first to point fingers if their child does not play because they only practice shooting hoops only during basketball season.  You don't have to be an all star yourself.  You just need to take them to the school, let them practice.  Support their interests.

This encourages them as an adult to work on their weaknesses and turn then into challenges/goals.  It encourages them to not blame others for their drawbacks but to take ownership of their lives.  Life long lessons can be taught when a child's coach and families take an active role in molding minds of our future adults.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
Loctavious

Follow The White Rabbit

« #6 : May 19, 2008, 08:35:43 AM »

Hmmmm, don't really know how someone asking me if i was a gifted athlete, in response to my statement that i was in order to set-up the fact i remember some of the inner-workings of the young athlete's mind, got twisted into a question about me onyl playing gifted athletes?  I'll have to ponder that one.
     If you've played any sport past Freshman level in High School, you'll know that there comes a time when being competative becomes important, as in real life, there's competition for some things.  This was my first year where i couldn't hide behind an excuse of ' we give as equal as we can playing time to each child' as is the case in Rec and Middle school basketball.  It was a challenge to try and be competative at that level - thus teaching these kids that you can find ways to win, and still abide by that equal time rule - BUT i managed just fine.  At that level, there were kids who were there because they loved basketball, because they loved being with their friends, and because their parents wanted them to do something active.  NOT all motivations are conducive to building a team.  BUT, if their desire is to play basketball, then they will have a role to play.
    My philosophy is that EVERY players has purpose on a team.  that DOESN'T mean every player will have equal playing time.  I both firmly beleive and have seen, players NOT THAT gifted at all, have MAJOR roles on teams.  Thinking back, their were kids who couldn't dribble to save their lives, YET played some of the best defense on the team  Likewise there were ones who could shoot dribble and pass like pros, but either didn't get defense or were just not inclined to do it.  THUS, in certain combinations, the kid who never scores a point or gets an assist, STILL can play a pivotal role in the team's success.  Perhaps that's the mindset i sold to that younger group of players and they bought into it - and low and behold - they performed well as a TEAM.
    Equal playing time for the sake of it i do not agree with.  If you're keeping in line with what SCHOOL is all about - and thus HS sports are related to, then You'd understand that ALWAYS giving equal playing time, and ALWAYS rewarding kids for ANY effort isn't preparing them for life.  ADULTS in real life don't get raises for doing the minimal effort.  Nor get promotions based on minimal effort or just showing up.  We don't earn respect of our coworkers if we slack while they work hard.  See a pattern here?  In real life, ADULTS become responsible for their own actions or lack there of.  Should we really be creating mindsets of entitlement for kids to take into adulthood?  I don't know, seems ........ irresponsible to expect something without earning it.  Just my opinion though, my belief.
     I agree, family plays a role that is all too often ignored or even overlooked.  Nutirion, rest, balance - all important for athletes seeing they're doing more than the student not playing a sport.  To not help out with the whole package for athletes is to make their lives harder - i think though that it's a task easier said than done.  Sometimes, schedules, sports, family and social life just demand more of a student then they can handle.
(let alone the family)  You can only do what you can do.

« : May 28, 2008, 12:53:20 PM Loctavious »

Loctavious

Follow The White Rabbit

« #7 : May 28, 2008, 01:01:03 PM »

Going a step further, when a school becomes distinguished for something good, that attracts more people to the school.  More kids in school, mean more parents in the area paying taxes, which means more funding for the school.
      I've never been in a position to win a champiionship.  I can't say i know what that feels like. I would, however, like my daughter to have that experience.  If she didn't like sports, i'd pursue and support whatever she WAS interested in.  BUT she is an athlete in sports she loves and that DO have championships in HS.  Thus, long ago i set out to set her on the path. 
      After coaching a few years, and getting to know her firends, it's something i'd like them ALL to be able to experience.  Thus why i'm passionate about what i teach and why i tend to explan things to death.  Thinking back to my sports days, not every coach took that approach, they were more of a " just do what i say" types.  I firmly believe that when the player understands what's asked of them, as well as all the 'ins and outs' of their sport, their better equipped to play that sport and make their own decisions based on what's happening around them.  It's far better to have the player think for themselves early on, then to have them rely on the coach for all the answers.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: