Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 09:44:11 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Nordic State Meet, Part II (written by Fred Griffin)
« previous next »
: [1]
: Nordic State Meet, Part II (written by Fred Griffin)  ( 4550 )
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« : March 03, 2011, 05:28:20 PM »

Vermont's method of doing State Meet is exhausting but a true test of skiing.  Athletes ski four races in two disciplines in two days. At Mountain Top, near Rutland, our kids found the day emotionally draining as well.   Both our boys and girls teams got off to shaky starts in the morning's individual races, but rallied fiercely to hold on to the spots they had fought to earn at Craftsbury.  On the girl's side, we started the day in fourth place after an adjustment to  the scores from Craftsbury's races; Middlebury Union High School had been incorrectly designated as a Division I school.  Our girls were led by Sophmore Julia Snyder, who put together her best skating race of the year to take 33rd overall, and 11th in Division II.  Maddie Hayes and Ali Minor, our second and third, struggled mightily with the course, the cold, and themselves, but held on with respectable showings.  Sophomore Margaret Fitzgerald completed our scoring with the solid effort we needed.  At the end of the race, Woodstock had closed in on us from behind.  In the relay, the same four girls pulled together and refused to give ground. This young team, with no seniors, finished fourth in Division II, and we are very proud of them.

Our men's team finished their improbable season on a high note.  I can't validate this, but I suspect we were the only one of the 24 schools competing that had two first-year skiers in their starting four.  Cross-country skiing is considered by many to be the most technical sport in the world, and requires not only athleticism but a wide range of technical skills.  It is remarkable to see junior Eli Phillips and senior Andrew Barden come so far, so fast.  Today, Eli took charge of the boy's scoring in the aftermath of Eric Newbury's fall and equipment issues, finishing an impressive 26th overall and 8th in Division II.  Eric recovered from his mishaps to take our second spot. Ethan Farmer skied a strong race in our third scoring position.  Andrew Barden fought his way into our fourth scoring spot.  Our overall result did not match up with our Craftsbury performance or our own expectations. In the relay, these same four boys rallied magnificently, taking third place in Division 2, and 8th overall in the state.

It was heartening to see both these teams struggle and then rebound.  In our combined team, there was only one senior in our top twelve.  While we were not unhappy with the skier's showing, we feel the best is yet to come.
And thank you to the parents who brought food and cheered on the athletes.
7F24
: 253

« #1 : March 03, 2011, 10:18:19 PM »

Thank you so much Shelly and Lafe for feeding the whole team, and all their fans!
Dick Brown
: 414

« #2 : March 04, 2011, 06:04:50 AM »

Coach Griffin  Once again your team and yourself proved an important point of life.....you don't have to have the best score to be both winners and a class act .  Congratulations to all, including the parents !!
Jason Elledge
: 31

« #3 : March 04, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »

Congrats team and Coach Griffin!  From what I have heard, Fred is quite an inspirational and valuable leader to the boys on the team.
7F24
: 253

« #4 : March 04, 2011, 02:59:57 PM »

And the girls!
slpott
: 457

« #5 : March 04, 2011, 09:06:52 PM »

and the parents
: [1]  
« previous next »
: