Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 03, 2024, 10:03:58 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  School Governance Leg Update
« previous next »
: [1]
: School Governance Leg Update  ( 4037 )
Gary Gilbert
: 77

« : March 20, 2011, 09:09:05 AM »

On Friday the House Education Committee voted out a governance bill on a 10-0-1 vote. The bill establishes an Agency of Education under the direction of a secretary on July 1, 2012. The governor would appoint the cabinet level position with the consent of the Senate. The membership of the State Board of Education would change to an 11 member board with the governor appointing 4 positions from lists submitted by educational and business organizations. There would be 5 at large positions and two student positions,  one voting. The board would be directed to engage with local communities, the education community, and state and local policy-makers to help inform and develop a statewide vision for education. The necessary statutory changes to put this into place will begin this summer and be completed by July.

This is the first time that the lines of authority will be clearly spelled out. The Secretary will be responsible for the Agency of 
Education and report directly to the Governor. The board will provide public oversight of the agency, and for the first time have direct communication with individuals speaking for school boards, superintendents, principals, teachers, and the business community. It will serve a quasi-judicial role and serve as a check on the agency by hearing appeals in cases involving the agency and local school 
districts. The authority of the local district is further protected by existing laws that will not change.

The bill will be further considered by Government Operations, the full House and then the Senate.

Rep. Gary Gilbert
Fairfax/Georgia

rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #1 : March 20, 2011, 05:38:34 PM »

more power taken from the people ,one more freedom extiguished ,when will they learn this is not what my grandfather fought and died for
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #2 : March 21, 2011, 09:11:15 AM »

Gives you someone to hold accountable though when things are all jacked up Ed.  One fact I have learned in my short life is that if someone isn't held accountable stuff really doesn't get done the way it is suppose to!!

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
Thor

« #3 : March 21, 2011, 08:25:22 PM »

So with that said Josh, it would seem that the folks in Montpelier are responsible for our current situation. Remember, you can delegate authority but not responsibility. That is my biggest issue with Montpelier, they claim they are responsible to us, their constituents, and can make the tough decisions, but when the rubber meets the road, they are simply politicians, always thinking about the getting one more vote. Carolyn is the exception that I know... too bad she is in the minority.
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #4 : March 23, 2011, 08:58:52 AM »

Point taken Thor,

I do hold them responsible, but I guess until they hold themselves responsible nothing is going to change.  I guess it kind of sounded better in my head then it did after I said it lol.

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
: [1]  
« previous next »
: