Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 07:54:23 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Sears Roebuck Used To Carry Just About Everything
« previous next »
: [1]
: Sears Roebuck Used To Carry Just About Everything  ( 4026 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 10, 2010, 09:12:52 AM »

Back when I was a kid, the Old Sears Roebuck Catalog was like a bible around the house.  If you needed something, you would just get out the Old Sears Roebuck Catalog and order it.  They had order blanks in the back of the catalog and I remember Mother filling out the order in pencil (We rarely used pens and the ballpoint pen had not been invented at that time), check the zone and add up the weight and add that to the order and it was ready to mail.  We would either mail it the next time we went down to the village or put the money in the envelope for the mailman to get a money order to send with it.  I actually believe the postmaster would put the money order in the envelope, seal it and send it on its way and the next day the mailman would bring back the receipt for the money order and any change.  We never worried about leaving money in the mailbox which was about a half a mile away from the house and out of sight.

Sears was our favorite catalog, although there was Montgomery Wards and Spiegel's.  This came to mind when I was thinking about the Sears Roebuck Houses that they used to sell.  We have a couple right here in the village.  Phyllis Soule's house is a Sears Roebuck House and was constructed in 1915 by the Stevens Family.  I sent Phyllis a note yesterday and asked her about it and she sent me the following note:

"I wish I had all the info Shorty Cherrier told me, he worked on the construction. The house was transported on sled from Georgia. It is a Sears house and they were precut. They all have certain characteristics, lots of porches, oak floors,  and many windows. Dick decided to check on Roscoe storm windows I thought the windows were outsized but the were standard western ones which we bought. My dad was interested in building a house and had catalogues  of these houses. Montgomery Ward also sold them. There are many around , I have often thought the Malcolm Howard house might also be one. I have books on these houses if you would be interestd. When the car hit the house we had to restore it rather than just fixing it. Hope this is helpful.  Phyllis"

Phyllis is right, Malcolm Howard's House which is where the medical building is, is a Sears Roebuck House.  Her recollection of Shorty Cherrier telling her it came from Georgia on a sled is also correct as all of our freight came in on the Railroad and was transported by horses from the East Georgia Railroad Station up on what is now The Jed Sheppard Road near the Georgia High Bridge.

I'm not sure just when they stopped selling their precut houses, but I do know that we have a number of houses here in town that were built in the 1960s that were from other companies.  Grossman's was one company and Ridge Homes was another.  I am stretching my memory a bit, but I think that Bernie Gregoire's house was from one of those companies.  Not sure if Ralph & Claire Lemnah's was or not, but it certainly would be interesting if some of you that know of some of those houses would either post or let me know.

My house was partially constructed and came on a big truck.  All of the sidewalls, with windows and doors were pre-built at a factory in New Hampshire.  I can't remember the name of the company now.  My house was 46x26 with a 24x18 attached garage and in 1968 the shell erected house cost me $7,000. 

I had looked at Grossman & Ridge homes before that, but I know that a lot of people that built those homes had a lot of carpentry skills of their own which I lacked.

By the way, the Sears, Montgomery Ward & Spiegel catalogs did not get thrown out when their season was done.  They made their way to the old outhouses where not only were they used to read again, but eventually were the Charmin of the outhouses.

For a little more on the history of Phyllis Soule's house - Some history was done on it a while back and can be seen at:

http://www.vtgrandpa.com/forum/index.php?topic=2617
« : March 10, 2010, 09:20:25 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
trussell
: 870

« #1 : March 10, 2010, 10:04:30 AM »

Lowes began offering what they called a "Katrina cottage" shortly after hurricane Katrina.  The homes range from about 400 sq ft up to (I think) 1600 sq ft, from 1-4 bedrooms.  Nothing comes assembled, and I doubt anything is precut, but I think it's an interesting concept to have a complete "kit" that someone could buy.

And no Ed, I don't think the kit includes plumbing or electrical.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
NorthFairfaxBoy
: 346

« #2 : March 10, 2010, 10:40:29 AM »

The winter before I left Vermont, I was in Stowe doing a practice burn with Stowe Fire and Waterbury Fire, the house we burned was a Sears house.  The owner tried for years to sell it (move it I guess too..) but no one was interested, she was quite sad to see a piece of history "go up in flames" (Pun in attended).

Brian Farris

I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
mirjo
: 785

« #3 : March 11, 2010, 09:49:59 AM »

It's nice to know that a mail order house is far better than a mail order plane!

In the 70's a family purchased land behind my grandmother's house in Georgia. It was a three bedroom ranch house that came in two sections and was pretty much ready to live in once iit was 'put together.' Other than hooking up water and such, I don't recall any other construction going on at the time. The inside was basic white in all the rooms.

I don't know where it came from. The house is still there, the family has since moved. I don't think the exterior has ever changed color. I don't think it ever showed any wear. ?

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #4 : March 11, 2010, 09:57:55 AM »

Here are a couple of links that help identify a Sears Roebuck House - The second link includes some very specific details and how to tell if it is a Sears Roebuck House:

Henry Raymond
Jim M
: 20

« #5 : April 01, 2010, 11:26:20 AM »

Our home was a "Northern Home" that we purchased from Paul & Bud.
      We moved in on a Very rainy Halloween in 1968.
       Ron Parah did the excavating, masonry & ceramic in the master bath.
        Think it was Duane Preston's truck that move us.........

Hang Up:   You're NOT driving a 'phone booth.
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #6 : April 03, 2010, 01:14:15 AM »

We used the catalog as toilet paper........

The bra section was my favorite........
: [1]  
« previous next »
: