Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 08, 2024, 02:03:48 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Things I'd Like to See in Our Town- More Ideas page 2
« previous next »
: [1] 2 3
: Things I'd Like to See in Our Town- More Ideas page 2  ( 22363 )
nancyd
: 304

« : January 10, 2012, 12:54:06 PM »

We have such a cute town and I think it would be nice to be able to bring people together with fun things to do.
I'd like to see:
A town ice rink like the one They  have in Westford...easy to do...with night skating, with heating fire in those big metal barrels.
Make more use of the walking/ ski trails in back of the school, by allowing horse back riding in Spring, summer and Fall. local stables could rent out the horses and would be a beautiful place to trail ride ( no, I don't ride...but I can dream can't I?)
Barn dances....Someone must have a barn we could use......what fun that would be!!!!!

These are some things I would love to have/ experience in our town......what about you?
nancyd
« : January 13, 2012, 12:08:54 PM nancyd »
Cat

« #1 : January 10, 2012, 01:23:24 PM »

Great ideas.....I would like to see the barn dances...that would be fun.
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #2 : January 10, 2012, 02:24:19 PM »

I'd like to see the bean hole Bean Dinner brought back - that was a great socail gathering with a local folky band playing upsatiras at the Baptist building while all ate the chicken and beans that were made over a 24 hour period ( old lumberjack style - prepared, put into cauldrons and then lowered into a hole of and surrounded by hot embers and covered and cooked for a day)..... that was pretty cool and the beans were Awesome!

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
khort
: 149

« #3 : January 10, 2012, 03:10:13 PM »

I love the ice rink idea!
nancyd

« #4 : January 10, 2012, 03:20:01 PM »

Re ice rink..... We could ask the Westford folks how they did theirs. we could ask the select Board if this could be a project for Recreation Dept. All we need is some flat land, a wood border, and a hose....some lights for night skating would be nice.

when I was growing up on Long Island, our neighbor did this every year in their backyard. he put a simple wood border around his yard, ran a hose overnight...and they had a beautiful skating rink with a big tree in the middle. lights lit up the yard at night, and  they skated all winter.
we all had great fun there.....
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #5 : January 10, 2012, 04:14:27 PM »

Barn Dance would be wonderful.  I am afraid though it would be a risk for the farmers now a days.  If someone was drinking and drove and got in an accident leaving there....  I would be in favor of a non-alcohol dance if a farmer was interested!

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
nancyd

« #6 : January 10, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »

Sure...non- Drinking is fine....I have a punch bowl all ready...I'm sure we have local musicians who would play for us.
People could bring pot luck, sandwiches etc. it would be fun, because the community would plan it together.
NPM, LLC
: 31

« #7 : January 10, 2012, 05:13:31 PM »

I would love to see an ice rink near the Rec Path area.  The size of Westford's is just perfect!  I'd love a barn dance or even one at the Baptist Building or future community center(non-alcoholic, of course).  I have friends in the Islands who go to a barn dance in that area a few times each summer.  I'd also love to be able to go to kids plays/musicals & kids concerts multiple times per year, but the school is a totally separate topic.
nancyd

« #8 : January 10, 2012, 05:25:35 PM »

how would we get the Baptist Building?  maybe J Schraven knows. i think perhaps a little committee is in order ...to help make these things happen.
ASDuling
: 75

« #9 : January 10, 2012, 05:54:40 PM »

Nancy, There is a Citizens for Fairfax Community (CFC) meeting tonight at 7 pm at Mark Hunziker's house on River Rd.  This is a non-profit organization open to anyone in the Fairfax Community. Our mission is to establish a community center in Fairfax, looking at the Baptist Bldg, and tonight we are discussing community events we want to hold this year.  Pretty much exactly what you're talking about here.  I'll bring these ideas to the meeting, but if you want to be involved, this is the place to be.
If you can't attend, but would like to be on our mailing list, email Mark at mark@vtwellness.net.

Amanda
nancyd

« #10 : January 10, 2012, 06:00:14 PM »

thank you Amanda,
I will e-mail Mark. Can't come tonight, but please do present these ideas to the committee. As you see from the feedback, residents seem interested in doing things together.
trussell
: 870

« #11 : January 10, 2012, 08:59:10 PM »

These are great ideas Nancy!  The Rec Dept has talked about an ice rink and it come down to two things- the money to construct and maintain it, as well as volunteers to build and maintain it.  The Rec Dept is always looking for volunteers- both for single events as well as long term.  It sounds like you have some good ideas and if you would like to be involved with the Rec Dept please contact me- russelltrevor@hotmail.com

-Trevor

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
nancyd

« #12 : January 10, 2012, 10:01:39 PM »

Russell,
Thank you...I will e-mail you.  Regarding the ice rink.... I read where the Westford rink is open to anyone. But we should have our own. they leave brooms out so when sisters are done, they sweep the ice. it's a rink that has high edges....for hockey players. We wouldn't necessarily need walls. it could be just a wooden border.

you'll hear from me soon. Thanks!
nancyd
lena6
: 357

« #13 : January 11, 2012, 05:21:23 PM »

My first date with my husband of 50 years was at a barn dance.  Nice things happen at barn dances.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #14 : January 11, 2012, 07:04:23 PM »

Would this have been at the Hen House in Underhill Center Lena??  They also used to have them up at the Gingras Farm, now The Art Webb Farm on The Swamp Road

Henry Raymond
: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
: