Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 06:51:01 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  Montpelier
« previous next »
: [1]
: Montpelier  ( 2578 )
Carolyn Branagan
: 365

« : May 07, 2007, 07:05:55 AM »

This is the week we've been waiting for in Montpelier. It's the last week of the session (probably). Several conference committees are in full swing, legislators are closely following the bills most important to their constituents and the Governor's staff is everywhere. We often find ourselves waiting on the floor in 'recess' for long periods of time, but when we are in session things move quickly.

I have been asked by the Speaker to chair the House side of the Fee Bill conference committee. For the most part we came to agreement with the Senate conferees on the bill on Friday, but there are a few ends I need to tie up today (Monday), so I’ll be heading to Montpelier shortly. The Education Bill H526 is also in conference committee and I'm following it closely because that's where the caps are. As I've said before the caps will hurt every school in Franklin County, including the 2 schools in our legislative district, Georgia and Fairfax. I am encouraging the House conferees to hold tight to the House position of 'no caps' but I realize anything can happen.  Conference Committees bring out the best in many legislators. It is tense negotiation that takes patience, steady nerves,knowledge of the issues and an understanding of what it is that the other side really wants. A poker face helps too. I love it.

When my husband left for work this morning, I told him that I would probably not see him again until the weekend. The days will be long, but I expect we'll be able to move the major bills through by week's end.

As always you can contact me at cbranagan@leg.state.vt.us or leave a message on the phone at my home 527-7694. I want to hear from you.

Rep. Carolyn Branagan
Franklin-1, Fairfax/Georgia
Vermont House of Representatives

Carolyn Branagan
: [1]  
« previous next »
: