Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 08:34:17 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  MapQuest Directions In Hand - EDL In Wallet - I'm Ready
« previous next »
: [1]
: MapQuest Directions In Hand - EDL In Wallet - I'm Ready  ( 3184 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : September 01, 2010, 07:31:02 AM »

Well, I'm off to The Province Of Quebec.  Headed over the border, although not far over the border, but haven't been up to see my Aunt who turns 91 today for the last 15 or 18 years.  She has been down here a few times and I usually call her on her Birthday.

My mother's two younger sisters are still living.  The other one lives in Alburgh and is 87 years old.  I was going to stop by and pick her up, but I don't plan to leave here early enough.  She will be leaving to go up and see her sister around 8:30 this morning and as you can see, I'm not quite ready to leave yet.

Sure hope they tested my Enhanced Drivers License.  I know I won't have a problem getting into Canada, it will be the return trip when the big test comes.  Hopefully they will let me back across the border.

I have a general idea of where she lives in Henryville, but ended up going on MapQuest and printing out directions from Fairfax Village to her address in Henryville.  According to MapQuest, from my house to her's, it is just about 39 Miles.  Going to bring my sister with me, however, she doesn't remember how to get there either.  She was a French teacher up in Richford for 18 years, so I am going to rely on her to ask directions up there when we get lost.

Will have my camera with me, so hopefully will have a photo of her and I to post tomorrow, if the EDL works.

Henry Raymond
trussell
: 870

« #1 : September 01, 2010, 09:16:32 AM »

Henry, if you have any problems getting back across the border give Josh a call... I bet he has connections :)

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #2 : September 02, 2010, 07:46:23 AM »

Well, I made it up and back without too many problems.  Got a little confused at the border and ended up going in the wrong lane.  It was the truck lane.  When I got to the gate the woman asked me if I had any commercial packages and I told her no.  She then told me this was the truck entrance and my entrance was back there a ways, so I asked her where I could turn around and she proceeded to ask me a few questions, like where I was from who the person was with me, what I was bringing with me and where I was going and why.  She then asked me how long it had been since I crossed the border and I told her at least 15 years.  She then told me that in the future I should use the other entrance, but she would let me through this time.  Oh Well, live and learn.  At least there was no line and the light was green.

I found my aunt's house by following my mapquest directions and ended driving right into her yard.

Above I am seen sitting on the front porch with my 91 year old aunt up in Henryville, PQ, Canada

On the way back through I had an opportunity to show my brand spanking new EDL card as did my sister Theresa.  Everything was fine with me, but he handed back my sister's passport and told her she had to sign it which she hadn't.  He then took it back and did something with his computer, gave us both back our Id's and told us to have a nice day.  We should be all set in the future now that I am an international traveller.

By the way, I wanted to bring my aunt up a little birthday gift, so stopped by to see Donna Meunier up at The Upsy Daisy shop up in North Fairfax.  She was able to come up with a cute little teacup and saucer dried flower arrangement with a white ribbing that said 91.  Aunt Madeline was very pleased with it.  I knew Donna could put something together for me that would be very tasteful and not cost me an arm and a leg - Thanks Donna
« : September 02, 2010, 11:41:17 AM Henry »

Henry Raymond
Kathleen
: 167

« #3 : September 02, 2010, 10:33:46 AM »

I'm glad you had a good trip.  Aunt Madeleine looks great!  I haven't seen her for many years.  I'm happy you and T were able to go up and see her and that your border crossing was uneventful.

Lots of Love to ya, Kathy
: [1]  
« previous next »
: