Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 04:36:59 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Good News - Summer Is Not Over With Yet
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Good News - Summer Is Not Over With Yet  ( 11272 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : August 27, 2010, 06:49:36 AM »

Henry Raymond
HayesFXFD17
: 125

« #1 : August 27, 2010, 07:33:17 AM »

Loving the looks of that!!  Hope it continues through the Labor Day weekend.
mirjo
: 785

« #2 : August 27, 2010, 01:02:16 PM »

Anyone who loves summer (I do) certainly hasn't had anything to complain about this year--except for that nasty little stretch of high humidity in July...

But like every Vermonter, I'm wondering if there will be a "pay back" this winter for the nice weather.

Why can't we ever just accept a gift of beautiful weather as a gift without wondering if we'll have to pay for with crummy weather at a later date?

What has caused this irrational thought process? Do we actually think mother nature really hate us that much that she can't just offer up a string of lovely days without punishment?

I don't know about anyone else, but I have had more than one weather conversation where either myself or the other person makes the statement about getting the payback in the winter.

Any thoughts on this peculiar phenomenon? Any of you folks from another state ever experience this elsewhere or is it one of those things that's native to this state? :-)

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Dick Brown
: 414

« #3 : August 27, 2010, 03:02:09 PM »

mirjo   From what I've observed , most of the guilt associated with this weather phenomena usually comes from warnings being passed on by well-meaning  Methodists . When I was growing up in Central Vermont , my church-going adult friends never overlooked a chance to warn about dire consequences if one got too much enjoyment in life........probably it's the same reaction all over New England , especially when a storm follows up a nice stretch of sunshine & clear skies !!! Until that time , enjoy what you have.....I try to !!!
trussell
: 870

« #4 : August 27, 2010, 08:02:08 PM »

Hmm... I've never heard of weather anomolies being associated with and organized religion :) Interesting!

Rev Elizabeth, any thoughts on that? LOL

:D

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
mirjo

« #5 : August 28, 2010, 10:15:08 AM »

I thought it was the Catholics who cornered the guilt market! :D I've never considered this particular phenomenon of human weather-conversation nature a product of organized religion either, but it is an interesting concept.

Doubt Pastor Liz would agree about the Methodists or the Catholics or any Christian based faith for that matter.

Who shall we pin it on???

mirjo

« #6 : August 28, 2010, 10:36:13 AM »

What's with the guilt/religion connections anyway? It's pervasive!!! ;-) Since I tend to start controversial trouble, I'm going to close that thought with this one:

Let's enjoy the sun and not go there! :-)

Hell hath no fury like a discussion on religion. Henry's web site would surely crash (and burn)

;-)

Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #7 : August 28, 2010, 10:47:51 AM »

Thanks Lisa

Henry Raymond
Dick Brown
: 414

« #8 : August 28, 2010, 11:39:24 AM »

This morning I stopped into a drycleaning establishment in Glen Ellyn , to pick up some items for my son's family , and lo & behold, the manager brought up the subject of the great weather they're having in Illinois now, then ended with " but we'll probably pay for it later "...So, that particular New England pessimism has passed on to another generation........but I forgot to ask if he was a Methodist   ( so much for that theory ! ) .
mirjo

« #9 : August 29, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »

This I find fascinating. Maybe it's a northern connection, something to do with errant weather patterns that most northern states experience? Not being able to count on the weather report to be accurate. It does seem that a string of nice days together warrants something unpleasant to follow it.

Then again, there is that upbringing that warned to not be too boastful/prideful etc., and what does a beautiful sunny day virtually shout out at the world? Look at me and how wonderful I am! It's all connected,we're all connected. If we (as a planet) ever take five minutes to realize it, world peace would likely just happen. ;-)

Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #10 : August 31, 2010, 04:41:47 AM »

This is a day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it the psalmist writes........and notice, there is no reference to the KIND of day it is, just that it is another day!!!!!

GamingWeasel
: 184

« #11 : August 31, 2010, 10:01:39 AM »

I for one, have had enough of this hot weather.  If I liked this sort of climate, I would never have left Maryland. ;)

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #12 : August 31, 2010, 11:29:02 AM »

It's supposed to be in the 60's over the weekend....
mirjo

« #13 : August 31, 2010, 10:49:50 PM »

There is always air conditioning GamingWeasel, not a  choice I like, but I know how heat really bothers some people. I personally love this kind of weather. Not the super high humidity that makes you melt in your tracks, but a nice hot sunny day feels good. It seems rare that we get such nice weather...but the weekend is coming & fall/winter around the corner, it will be cooler soon! :-)

Jason Elledge
: 31

« #14 : September 01, 2010, 08:20:44 AM »

No, I do not care for this weather either.  Growing up in Florida and having lived more recently in Virginia, I relish the cooler climate of Vermont.  Not really a hot summer person, I guess.  Just counting the days until Saturday and dealing with it for now.   I think the weather/guilt thing must be a northern phenomenon.  Had no such talk that I recall while growing up in Florida.

How about this angle?  Do you feel guilty about enjoying the warmer/hotter weather since it is "normally" not this hot in Vermont, on average, allegedly due to the effects of climate change, global warming, etc.  Just curious.
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: