Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:01:59 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Tomatoe Blight is Here
« previous next »
: [1]
: Tomatoe Blight is Here  ( 2642 )
David Shea
: 471

« : August 22, 2011, 08:22:30 AM »

Two of my friends have had the blight.  Locations: Main Street near Minor's Store & Fletcher Road.  I now have it and have pulled all of my plants before it moved to the tomatoes.

Plants will be going to the landfill this Thursday.
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #1 : August 22, 2011, 08:26:12 AM »

I understand it has been a bad year - You did just what they recommended on Channel 3 as the spores fly through the air and I believe originated in Jericho, if I remember right.

Henry Raymond
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #2 : August 22, 2011, 01:49:02 PM »

We too, have blight.  On some potatoes and on the tomato plants.  It hasn't gotten to the fruit yet, though!
David Shea
: 471

« #3 : August 22, 2011, 09:02:14 PM »

The best thing to do is pick the tomatoes, wash them, put them on a table so that they do not touch, a cool place is best, they will ripen much like if they are on the vine.  I did this last year as well and I had ripe tomatoes to eat up to October.  With the 6 plant that I put in July 1 I harvested about 50 pounds yesterday.  Not all as big as they could be but very nicely shaped like the ones that you find in the grocery store.

Next job will be to dig my potatoes and pick the bounty of green beans.  These were also planted July 1.  It was a swamp up here on the hill this spring thus the late planting.  Good local fertilizer sure helps this grow.
GamingWeasel
: 184

« #4 : August 23, 2011, 09:29:38 AM »

We have late blight that has been gradually progessing, but not the worse early blight.  I already dug up all the potatoes because the foliage was more yellow than green.

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: