Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 04:07:52 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  BFA Bomb Shelter
« previous next »
: [1]
: BFA Bomb Shelter  ( 4220 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : March 16, 2010, 08:57:54 AM »

I noticed in one of Suzy's Posts this morning that she mentioned The BFA Bomb Shelter - Anybody know when that was built?

I know that in the 60s IBM provided assistance for you to build one in your home and several employees in Essex Junction did build them, although I don't remember anyone up here in Fairfax doing so.  I wonder if our younger students are aware of this??

Henry Raymond
MikeF9
: 1994

« #1 : March 16, 2010, 12:32:42 PM »

I'm guessing it was incorperated into the school when it was rebuilt after the fire in '41. It was down in the basement, and I'm not sure where, if it was where the old music room used to be years ago, the old boiler room area, or what we used to call the dirt cellar. This was the area under the classrooms and under the gym. It had a dirt floor that was cemented over in '89 when the middle school was built. There was asbestos in the pipe insulation in that area, and some of the stuff has filtered into the dirt. So they put plastic down and cemented the old dirt cellar.
I will check around.

"If women don't find you handsome, at least let them find you handy."-Red Green
Margie
: 156

« #2 : March 16, 2010, 09:18:32 PM »

I remember going to music class down in the basement and the bomb shelter sign over the door to the dirt cellar. 
al brodeur
: 216

« #3 : March 17, 2010, 08:11:01 PM »

is this the room downstairs that was under the front classrooms, if it is ,it was the storage area for gov't commodities that were used in the hot lunch program the 5th and 6th grade boys used to unload the terucks that brought the goods in, IE potatoes, canned beef in gravy and lord knows what else for me this was 51-52
wwiihistory
: 56

« #4 : March 20, 2010, 06:22:00 AM »

...but did anyone remember to put a can opener in the room?
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #5 : March 21, 2010, 02:17:58 AM »

If you find ............ well, never mind.... Train derailed//
: [1]  
« previous next »
: