Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 09:26:08 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Interesting What Some People Do To Save Money
« previous next »
: [1]
: Interesting What Some People Do To Save Money  ( 8514 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : January 28, 2009, 10:02:36 AM »

Something that has been going on for years here in Fairfax is:

People from towns who have to pay for their own trash removal are dropping off trash on Wednesdays, intermingled with Fairfax Homeowners Trash.  I know of two such cases - One where the homeowner caught a person dropping off their trash and another where the homeowner is out of town.

Now, this doesn't increase the cost to the homeowner or the town, as far as I can see, but it kind of makes me feel fortunate that we have the system that we have.

Henry Raymond
trussell
: 870

« #1 : January 28, 2009, 11:05:31 AM »

It doesn't increase the cost to the homeowner directly, but I believe the town pays a certain amount per ton, in addition to a flat rate for trucking.  So although probably small, it does increase the cost to the town.  I wonder if that could be considered "Theft of Services"?  I'm sure this happens quite frequently in areas where there is a drop off area for several families.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #2 : January 28, 2009, 11:25:48 AM »

it can be considered theft of services as well as 'Illegal Dumping' which carries a $500 fine - which would make the act impractical as it doesn't cost that much a year for trash removal. 

I know there's been a few incidents on goose pond Road, roughly 2 miles from the Hydro Bridge where someone's dumped mattresses, tires - even a washing machine once.  The town's had to come to clean it up.  I guess if you put it in the context of poor folks who can't afford the service it lessens my ire about it, but still - it's soooooooooo bad in my book - dumping at least.  You'll see the occasional deer carcass in a plastic bag on the side of the road too!   

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
logical
: 141

« #3 : January 28, 2009, 11:52:19 AM »

I have Wednesday garbage pickup and have been tempted in the past when missing getting the trash out to the curb to bring it to a friend's who has Thursday pickup.  I couldn't bring myself to do that though cause it just didn't seem right.
Loctavious

Follow The White Rabbit

« #4 : January 28, 2009, 12:02:42 PM »

That's pretty ethical - but you're a paying customer - i don't think you'd be in the wrong there - especially if your friend approves.

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

logical
: 141

« #5 : January 28, 2009, 12:22:53 PM »

Loctavious - Yes, I know!  If I have reservations about doing this and it's not even wrong for me to do so how can somebody who isn't even from our town feel that it's ok to drop theirs off.  I guess I'm just too honest and can't understand the mind set of those who are not!
aheyer
: 9

« #6 : January 28, 2009, 01:57:27 PM »

I live out of state where the city has us "pay as we throw."   Used to be $2.00 for a sticker which you placed on the top bag of a barrell, however thrifty people were either stealing stickers off of the neighbors barrells or going so far as to photocopy the sticker onto pink paper and taping them on to the bag.   To combat this starting two weeks ago you now have to buy trash bags from the city at $2.00 a pop, and the city will now only collect your trash if it is in their bags.  The city is now worried that people instead of using their bright purple bags (think of driving down the street and seeing barney color trash bags everywhere, just an eyesore) are going to start dumping their trash in the woods.  I guess this problem is everywhere!
mirjo
: 785

« #7 : January 28, 2009, 04:20:17 PM »

The sad reality is: for some, perhaps many people (and not just in "this economy") the cost of getting rid of one's trash is too much. I think it is difficult for those of us who don't view $5 or $10 as very much money to realize that for some, it's a great deal of money and is the differenence between milk in the fridge or getting rid of the  garbage. If it can be tossed in the woods or elsewhere then that's the choice. I'm not advocating any of the things listed above, but I do understand how or why it  might happen. Then again, there are those that simply don't care...

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
aheyer
: 9

« #8 : January 29, 2009, 07:47:04 AM »

As someone who works in unemployment the above statement could not be any truer.  It certainly is a scary situation out there.
Loctavious

Follow The White Rabbit

« #9 : January 29, 2009, 07:51:25 AM »

I can remember as a kid helping my friend and his dad for a while take their trash to his 'work'.  We'd always go after dark.  The place would be dark and no one around.  We'd drive out back and unload maybe 6-10 bags of garbage and other refuse ( i remember a vacuum cleaner and a mixer once) into the dumpster. 
I didn't figure it out until one time i heard the mom ask the dad if he'd found a job yet.

David Shea
: 471

« #10 : January 29, 2009, 09:57:51 AM »

If you are looking to save on disposing of larger items with 65% Metal content or more.  Items might include chairs, vacuum cleaners, household appliances, and anything that has at least 65% metal content.  All Metals Recycling has several drop off locations.  We have a dumpster located at the Town Garage in Westford.  This site is has a video camera, so please do not dispose of unauthorized items, like furniture, TV's, computer monitors ect.

All Metals also has a business relationship with Recycle North at the following locations:  James Brown Drive Williston, Pine Street, Building Materials Center and Home Goods Store.  All there of these locations take items that may have use left in them as well as metal items.  If the item is something that they want and are able to fix or sell then you can receive a tax deduction for doing so.  Obviously they do not want household garbage but many other items that may not be of use to you or I maybe just what someone else needs.

You know what they say " One persons trash is another treasure"

Fairfax used to have a metal disposal site, but the general opinion was that the benefits were less than the liability.

Hope this helps some of you.
al brodeur
: 216

« #11 : February 08, 2009, 05:55:30 PM »

down here in pa it is called" theft of services"
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #12 : February 09, 2009, 06:17:06 PM »

When and if this volcano goes off, I am cleaning out my fireplace and my backyard fire pit and dumping the ashes in the road.
Is that wrong?
trussell
: 870

« #13 : February 09, 2009, 09:29:26 PM »

Actually, Mike that could be considered "depositing organic waste".  That is illegal in some areas.  Good luck with the volcano!

:)

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
Mike Raburn
: 2565

« #14 : February 10, 2009, 08:49:23 PM »

Mt Redoubt has been acting like a .................(insert your comparison here)

A lot of grumbling, venting steam, expelling gases, but no action.

: [1]  
« previous next »
: