Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 01:31:34 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  IPads For All Public Schools In Northwestern Vermont
« previous next »
: [1]
: IPads For All Public Schools In Northwestern Vermont  ( 5954 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : November 01, 2011, 10:23:49 AM »

Henry Raymond
Stand Alone Defense
: 771

« #1 : November 01, 2011, 11:38:50 AM »

Hmmmm What happened to cutting back and being more cost efficient?  Cut Buses but spend 165,000 on Ipads? what pencils and paper don't work anymore? Sometimes I really wonder!!!

A veteran is someone who, at one
point in his life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including My life.'
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #2 : November 01, 2011, 02:24:27 PM »

http://www.7dvt.com/2011ipads-all-public-schools-northwestern-vermont-make-education-interactive

Whether we like it or not, we live in a digital world; their world is mediated through screens;  this is how young people interact and learn. 
Lilone
: 81

« #3 : November 01, 2011, 03:00:13 PM »

My personal opinion, I think this is a little rediculous
al brodeur
: 216

« #4 : November 01, 2011, 04:55:13 PM »

I sure hope that does not spread down to here in Pa,our school district has 20,000 plus students
rod anode
: 1141

meathead,: dead from the neck up!

« #5 : November 01, 2011, 05:39:40 PM »

and a chicken in every pot
trussell
: 870

« #6 : November 02, 2011, 08:36:44 AM »

I'm all for the use of technology, especially in the classroom (I DID get into computer programming and electronics at age 9 after all!), and any classes that involved that sort of thing were usually my favorites.. But it really bothers me that this project was funded "by leaving vacant positions unfilled and making other cuts here and there".  I realize some teachers aren't the best at getting through to students so perhaps a few students would benefit more with the ipad technique, but (similar to my post last week) is purchasing ipads the best VALUE?  I'd love to purchase solar panels and power my home that way- hey, I would save around $100 a month!  But is the benefit really worth spending more than $30,000? Umm, no.  Similarly, are ipads the best use of $125,000? Was it really worth cutting out part of the "computer applications" (not sure if that's what it's called) program?  Again, all I know about the situation is what I've read in this article and by talking to two school-related people about them so perhaps it IS the best value.  Hmm....

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
trussell
: 870

« #7 : November 02, 2011, 08:39:24 AM »

Wait a minute.. $500 each?  Isn't that retail price?  Shouldn't there have been a special large-quantity price or educational discount?  Huh.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." -Jackie Robinson
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #8 : November 02, 2011, 08:50:36 AM »

They definitely should have gotten a better price! 

Trevor, I agree totally.  I too began programming at the age of 10, but my parents provided the tools.  When we got 1 computer in the 6th grade (Radio Shack Tandy) for the entire school of BFA.  It was in the office and I was allowed an hour a day on it.  Just the kids who really seemed to have a skill, only a few of us, got to use it. 

Unfortunately, those kids who did not have parents like mine, may have had the skill but didn't get access to any technology until we got computers in a lab when I was a Freshman.

I know the IPads may seem a bit much, but technology is the way of life and getting them to use it like second nature and encouraging those minds to develop skills, can in turn help them as they move on to college or working career.

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
khort
: 149

« #9 : November 02, 2011, 11:01:44 AM »

I think like MKR said, technology is becoming a way of life. It is used in practically every profession for one thing or another. I think using it in school and being taught to use it responsibly is important. Factoring the cost of the Ipads vs textbooks that become outdated quickly may not be that far off. If you figure an average of 4 textbooks per student (one for each subject)  in grades 6 - 12 that must be quite costly also. With the Ipads they will have access to updated learning without the expense of getting new books.
logical
: 141

« #10 : November 02, 2011, 11:21:14 AM »

I believe that the younger grades (around 4th grade) utilizes some sort of I-Reader and around 5th grade (not sure of exact grade) they receive laptops.  This is what I've been told but not sure if this is correct.  Children as young as 2nd and 3rd grade are required to utilize online websites to do their homework, regardless of whether they have computers available to them at home.

In an age of technology I think it's important that kids are taught how to safely and properly use these devices.  However, it's also important to do so in a fiscally responsible manner (i.e. not cutting positions to pay for them and shopping for the best price around).
mirjo
: 785

« #11 : November 02, 2011, 10:19:45 PM »

I'm all for the techno-advances and staying up-to-date in the game. I just worry about some of the stuff mentioned here and how the decisions are being made at the SU/School level. some of them don't seem very wise--like cutting teachers (or rather, not filling vacancies) for classes that are important. The 8th grade has lost its Computer Aps class to a study hall, because the teacher is in charge of the iPad project and doesn't have enough time to do  it all. Is that wise? Learning to work in certain software programs is as important as any tablet learning. Are they really preparing the students for life on the "outside" or training them how to live successfully in a sheltered bubble? Computers shouldn't take the place of teachers.

I also worry about the lack of teaching kids how to write with something low-tech like a pencil and how all this touch screen learning is going to pan out down the road when someone realizes that not everything electronic or digital and there actually is a need for fundamental computing functions--i.e. having math facts memorized, being able to write a simple legible note on a piece of paper, having a unique personal signature...Why iPads, the most expensive tablets?! What happens as the technology becomes obsolete in this rapidly changing world? Whats' the plan? What's the lifespan?

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
: [1]  
« previous next »
: