Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 12:51:11 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Fairfax Fire Toned Out For Brush Fire In North Fairfax
« previous next »
: [1]
: Fairfax Fire Toned Out For Brush Fire In North Fairfax  ( 3082 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : April 25, 2010, 07:22:54 PM »

Fairfax Fire responded to a reported brush fire on Brick Church Road in the vicinity of Rugg Road - Fire has been extinguished and Fairfax Fire is back in service.  This happened around 8 p.m.

Henry Raymond
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #1 : April 26, 2010, 06:26:05 AM »

I have been wondering, Henry, where the expression 'toned out' comes from?
mirjo
: 785

« #2 : April 26, 2010, 07:44:20 AM »

Each town has a specific identifiable tone that Central dispatch rings when a 911 call comes in for that town. I assume this is where "toned out" comes from.  Since gone are the days of ringing the "fire bell" or siren,  Fire & Rescue crews get to know their own 'tones' when listening to central dispatches, because all the towns are toned out from there. Fairfax, however is on a different frequency so we only hear our own on individual radios instead of the entire county.

I don't know what you have programmed in your scanner Henry, but you have probably heard the high pitched squeal that is Georgia Fire/First Response and on the other end of the spectrum, Bakersfield, Sheldon, or Franklin fire has a very low monotone sound.

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« #3 : April 26, 2010, 07:49:47 AM »

Hi Mirjo - Thanks for the excellent explanation.  I have very limited frequencies programmed into my scanner so that I know when it goes off it is local - I don't have the Mutual Aid on, only when I hear they are called.  I have noticed the different tones, but never had it explained to me.

Henry Raymond
Rev. Elizabeth
: 1286

« #4 : April 26, 2010, 08:55:23 AM »

Thank you for the explanation!
: [1]  
« previous next »
: