Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 02:11:51 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Busy Fall Sunday In Vermont
« previous next »
: [1]
: Busy Fall Sunday In Vermont  ( 4230 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : September 20, 2010, 07:19:59 AM »

Yesterday was a busy day - Started off with 11 a.m. Mass at St. Luke's, then a get together with Father Feltz who is home for a short while on R & R before going back to Afghanistan.  Father will be back for good in December along with a lot of our other Vermont Troops.

After that Mary Kay took me over to the Islands and we got some apples.  Back in our earlier years we used to go to Kinneys in South Hero, but from what I could see, that apparently is no longer.  We went to Hacketts to get our apples.  We did not go out and pick our own, just picked up a bushel of utility Macs to make some applesauce.  Hacketts also makes some delicious cider doughnuts, so she got a dozen plain and she bought me a half dozen of sugared ones.

We then headed off for home and as we were going by Allenholms, noticed a sign that said "Maple Creemee," so I bought the creemees.  Absolutely delicious.

When we got home she took a half bushel and I took a half bushel and we started cooking them down for applesauce.  I tried to rush mine a bit and was using a pyrex dutch oven.  Unfortunately, the bottom burned and I would dare say I have worked a good hour trying to get that out of the bottom.  I let it soak in dawn dish liquid over night and still can't scrub it off.

Anybody have any ideas how to remove it?  I even tried a razor blade and still no luck.

Other than the burnt/scorched casserole dish, it was a great day  --  Many thanks Mary Kay for a great time.

Henry Raymond
Henry
Administrator

« #1 : September 20, 2010, 08:01:54 AM »

Actually we made one more stop when we got to Fairfax.  Mary Kay drove up to Cathy's at Marvins Gardens and picked up a beautiful Buttercup Squash - Nice to have the fall fruits and veggies, however with them comes:

A *FROST ADVISORY* will be in effect from 2 AM to 8 AM for Essex County in the Northeast Kingdom, Bennington and Windham counties in southern VT, and for most of the Adirondacks.

A weak, fast-moving cold front will bring a few showers on Wednesday, and another fast-moving system will bring showers on Friday.

Fall officially starts with the Autumnal Equinox at 11:09 PM Wednesday.

Nothing in our area yet though!!

Henry Raymond
mirjo
: 785

« #2 : September 20, 2010, 12:23:39 PM »

Try boiling some water in it in the microwave (since you can't do it on the stove top if it's a casserole) then scrape it with a spoon keep at it until you can get most of it off. When ever I overcook something in a pan, I boil water in it and scrape it off, because I hate scrubbing! And mostly it works. An SOS pad will remove the residual burnt apple left on the dish after you've scraped what you can off and it won't scratch the glass. Good luck!  :-)

If the world gives you melons, you might be dyslexic
janet
: 51

« #3 : September 20, 2010, 03:45:48 PM »

If you have dishwasher detergent like Cascade, you can put some in the bottom of the dish. Let it soak overnight and it should come clean. Good Luck.
Henry
Administrator

« #4 : September 20, 2010, 03:51:12 PM »

Well, I finally got it clean.  I put some Comet in the bottom, used a scrubby a bit and let it set.  I then used a big spoon and scraped it and got it down to a lot of specs - I then used a razor blade and scraped the rest off and now have it in the dishwasher cleaning with the other dishes.

Note to self - Do not try to rush cooking apples for applesause - Set burner on simmer.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions - I think I tried some of each, and its good to know that some of the housewives out there have had similar problems.

I wonder what Maryann's solution would have been??

Henry Raymond
mkr
Administrator
: 1744

« #5 : September 21, 2010, 01:43:15 PM »

It was a beautiful day to go to the islands and I had a super time spending quality time with you Dad!

Hmmmmm, I wonder what Mom would have pulled out of her hat for getting that dish clean? 

(P.S. - I didn't rush my applesauce and I had zero issues cleaning my pot - HEE HEE)

"Life is too short, so love the one you got!"
al brodeur
: 216

« #6 : September 21, 2010, 08:00:38 PM »

next time use a double boiler setup
: [1]  
« previous next »
: