Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 11:20:30 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Political Issues/Comments
| | |-+  House Education Committee Update
« previous next »
: [1]
: House Education Committee Update  ( 2386 )
Gary Gilbert
: 77

« : January 16, 2010, 07:13:32 PM »

1.15.10 Education Committee

The Education Committee has been receiving updates and reports: Roots of Success; Truancy; Transformation Policy Commission; Retirement Study Committee; Small School Grants; Education Finance Study Committee; the H 405 related to Pre-K -16 Partnerships as well as omnipresent Joint Legislative Government Accountability challenge for change (public strategies group).  We have taken initial testimony on H 471 related to supervisory union policies regarding class size, and on Educational Governance in Vt from the Vt Business Roundtable and various Superintendents. We met with Tax Commissioner Westman to better understand educational costs and funding in relationship to other government services and available revenues. We also had joint sessions with Gov Ops(retirement), Senate Ed.(challenges for change) and Ag.(food to school).

Immediate choices will be driven by our financial situation now and in the immediate future. However, current financial concerns may make it possible to develop long term public policy yielding long term dividends. The Transformation Report, PreK-16 Report, The challenge for change, and the Business Round Table analysis  point to structural changes which offer the promise of improving access and improved educational quality on a state wide level.
: [1]  
« previous next »
: