Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 09:39:09 AM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  Opinion of Fairfax Fireworks (Click on 2 For Latest Comments)
« previous next »
: [1] 2
: Opinion of Fairfax Fireworks (Click on 2 For Latest Comments)  ( 11890 )
wwiihistory
: 56

« : July 05, 2008, 09:44:10 PM »

Just curious what people thought of this years fireworks

From Buck Hollow Heights 1 mile away, they seemed a bit disappointing compared to previous experiences. Better viewing at this years location but much lower in height and sound. Not too bad though.....  *shrugs*

« : July 08, 2008, 12:33:33 PM Henry »
Mummy
: 280

« #1 : July 06, 2008, 12:06:50 AM »

We went to our usual location at J&L Hardware Store to view the fireworks.  We could "hear" them and see a whole lot of smoke! There was a home owner who put on a good show for those of us thinking who were there to see Fairfax fireworks. We thought the private show was pretty nice:>
PotterFXFD
: 269

« #2 : July 06, 2008, 07:55:31 AM »

Keep in mind with the money being voted down at town meeting. The Fairfax Business Association went to fund raising for the Fire works. As I understand it there was about 1/2 the normal money spent. In years past there was around $5000 spent on the show , this year I hear they where only able to raise around $2300. That being said everyone should start helping the Business Association plan for next year. The more people involved will equal more money raised and a bigger and better show.
7F5
: 44

« #3 : July 06, 2008, 12:31:22 PM »

Thanks to all who contributed. Nice show on Hunt Street. With what money the FBPA raised, I think it was nice. Everyone needs to remember these were Class C explosives this year and they did not have the elevation that Dave and the fire department usually shoot.
dearon
: 233

« #4 : July 06, 2008, 04:24:22 PM »

If all people would contribute $1.00 each we could have a spectacular show next year.  The show  given by the pyrotechnic was amazing with what little money we had to work with.   If you did not contribute than you have nothing to complain about.  I believe this should have been on the town budget, everyone enjoys it and when it's less than expect there is negative feedback.
Fireworks for the 4th of July is the equivalent of a Christmas tree on Christmas.
Loctavious
: 559

Follow The White Rabbit

« #5 : July 07, 2008, 08:17:25 AM »

Didn't go see them this year, but did contribute.  It's easy to be a critic - expecially when you believe you know what you're talking about.  Some folks just assume somehow things will work themselves out - almost nothing 'just works itself out'.  Usually it takes people or groups to make things happen.

Maybe a sparkler show would've been more appealing?  with $2300 we could've had a pack of sparklers for every kid - at least they'd be happy and have fun.  It folks had a negative comment, and know they didn't contribute a dime to it, then they know what they need to do next year if there continues to be no budget for them.   

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

"A closed mind is more dangerous than an ignorant one"
mxdave
: 74

« #6 : July 07, 2008, 09:16:18 AM »

It’s unfortunate that the fireworks were voted down this year. I have been shooting the Fireworks off for the town for the past seven years. With the large group of volunteers and the help of the Fire Dept. we have put on a good show for the cost of the Fireworks only. This year the FBPA decided to try and fund raise and hire a company to do the show. We have tried this in the past and found it just doesn’t work. If the town pays for the event the impact on your taxes is minimal and if the town doesn’t want it they will vote accordingly. If you hire an out side company to shoot the fireworks as they did this year you have to pay for liability Insurance and that’s not cheap. So when you raise $2500. you may get a $2000. show. That’s if the company is not making a dime. Class C or consumer Fireworks are not meant for a Town Show. I would say that the FBPA did there best to keep the show alive and hopefully next year the town will vote to have the old shooting crew back.
Loctavious

Follow The White Rabbit

« #7 : July 07, 2008, 11:20:12 AM »

I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to ask the town to pick-up HALF the cost from bottle returns, private donations, Competative fundraising etc.  At least there would be a $2500 headstart.  I can already hear the dissenters - "We're already consumed by Fundraisers - for every sport and group in Fairfax and Fletcher"  - All i have to say to that is, we live in a small community - if we waited for the funding for any of these things to come available - we'd never have them.  Sure our tax base grows as we develop new places to live and new folks move in - but that process is slow and to be counted on. 
      We love where we live, and going to bat for it, isn't such a bad thing.  Maybe the groups we support through established fund-raising can donate something towards better fireworks?  We give a little more to them knowing they'll be giving x percentage to local funds?  I don't know the solution other than - we either pay it out of taxes, or pay some of it out of our wallets?  Either way WE PAY for what WE GET!

"Conservatives see any progress outside of what they approve of as the 'liberal agenda'.  Apparently no one told them they and what they think aren't any better than the rest of us"

dearon

« #8 : July 07, 2008, 12:24:37 PM »

I personally felt the pyrotechnics had a better show on the 5th than there was in previous years.  The only real difference was the height and the noise, the noise certainly can be done without.  I saw some new fan type displays and various others types of fireworks I've not seen in previous shows. 
The town cannot get liability insurance to cover the show, it has been checked into and going without it is not a good idea.  The Pyrotechnics buy their fireworks from China and for obvious reasons a $5,000 show VS a $2000 is a real big difference. These are same people Burlington, Colchester and various other cities and town hire.
I think it is better left to the professionals, the pyrotechnic, who by the way only charged for the insurance; Which should have been provided for previous shows.
The larger show requires various state and federal permits, this guy was very knowable about his business. 
mxdave

« #9 : July 07, 2008, 02:48:25 PM »

The reason the show was so good for you is because it was in your back yard. For the rest of the town it was a little hard to see. The Town already has Insurance that covers all town events including Fireworks. It has to be a town event paid for by the town and shot by a town employee. There is no additional charge for this Insurance. This is the case for the past seven years. I think the group you had shoot the show did all they could with the resources they had. The permits have always been pulled and the show has always been professional.
Loctavious

Follow The White Rabbit

« #10 : July 07, 2008, 03:10:22 PM »

That's what i heard - that unless you were front and center or at least within a reasonable degree of the same height, you saw a lot of smoke and heard a little. 

If there's x amount of sites around town that 'traditionally' offer great viewing potential, and suddenly having views of lighted smoke only, then i can see the frustration.  I'll state again that those who didn't like it can choose their OWN destiny for next year by showing up on voting day and/OR by contribtuing when the show needs it. 

i AGREE that years gone by were pretty great considering our small town. 

Mummy
: 280

« #11 : July 07, 2008, 03:17:49 PM »

Personally, I believe we should be "planning" NOW for next year's firerworks.  IT WAS WHAT IT WAS, a lesson to be learned and now we need to plan for next year.  There are many folks here in town who really can not afford an increase in their town taxes and we should respect that decision.  However, there are many folks who arrive in this little town say about April or May (visitors, snow bunnies, campers or just folks passing through) who stop at the local stores.  MY POINT .... keep the 4th of July jars OUT UNTIL November 15th!  You might be pleasantly surprised at how much you collect!  

Planning is important and if the fireworks did not get passed last year when things were good, well you need to have a plan B just in case.  In addition, there could be a fund raising event at the Fletcher School, like B.Y.O.B with a DJ during the month of Jan or Feb with donations to benefit the fireworks.  With these two efforts, the vote at Town Meeting could look like this:  Approve the Fairfax Fire Dept to set off the fireworks which were bought and paid for by local community donations?  However, we still need a location to set these fireworks off where folks can view them from the bank and J&L field which seems to be a Fairfax tradition.

Just thought I would share my thoughts:>
Loctavious

Follow The White Rabbit

« #12 : July 08, 2008, 08:01:59 AM »

And great ones at that! :)

dearon

« #13 : July 08, 2008, 08:34:11 AM »

I got feedback from several people that said the viewing from Swanson's and around the school was spectacular.  I guess if more people would have gone to these two locations there would have had a better time.
Dave, I didn't say you weren't professional, please read my last comment.  I firmly believe; do what you do best, let everyone else do the rest.  Pyrotechnics know their craft and have to attend educational seminars to be licensed.  The liability is huge if there is one mistake.  I was told that the town was not insured for the fireworks, even if the town personnel were to set them off.  It was checked into through the league of cities and towns?????  Maybe something to check into further.
As far as donations, most people are tired of it.  There is always a letter in the mail, a phone call, kids coming to your door etc.  There are endless organizations trying to squeeze money from us.  If the townspeople want fireworks, it should be on the ballot, this way every voter gets a say.
mxdave

« #14 : July 08, 2008, 10:00:22 AM »

I understand what you are saying. What I am trying to say is as a trained pyrotechnic myself we all do this on a part time basis. The Fairfax Fire Dept. in conjunction with Northstar Fireworks held an educational seminar for my entire shooting crew and certified us. I am not questioning the professionalism of your group. I just stated it would be more cost effective to keep the crew we have already developed.
     As far as Insurance I received a copy of the towns Insurance policy and it clearly states we were covered. This was also confirmed by the select board in place at the time. I would not shoot a show unless my crew was covered. If this has recently changed than I was not notified.
       I agree with you completely that the show should be voted on and funded by the town for the town.
: [1] 2  
« previous next »
: