Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 07:14:18 PM

Posts that, in my personal judgement, create too much conflict in the community, may be deleted - If members repost the same topic, they may be banned from future posts - Even though I have disabled the Registration, send me an email at:  vtgrandpa@yahoo.com if you want to register and I will do that for you
Newest Member: Christy25
+  Henry Raymond
|-+  Fairfax News
| |-+  Current News & Events
| | |-+  BFA-FAIRFAX STUDENT WINS JR. DUCK STAMP BEST OF SHOW
« previous next »
: [1]
: BFA-FAIRFAX STUDENT WINS JR. DUCK STAMP BEST OF SHOW  ( 2375 )
Henry
Administrator
: 15235

« : May 06, 2005, 03:12:15 PM »

BFA-Fairfax student wins Jr. Duck Stamp Best of Show

Samuel Zelley 13, of Fairfax, and a student of art at Prema Design Art Studio and a student at BFA Fairfax, placed Best of Show in the Vermont Federal Junior Duck Stamp Design Contest sponsored by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at the Missisquoi National Wildlife Refuge. Samuel's winning entry was a watercolor painting of a family of Black Ducks entitled "Family Portrait."

Zelley submitted his rendering of the Black Ducks to the Missisquoi National Wildlife Refuge in March. His entry was judged by a panel of five judges including Swanton Town Administrator, Dick Thompson, Silvio O. Conte, National Fish and Wildlife Refuge employee , Kevin Lowry, U.S. Postal Service employee, Rob Crowe, Swanton Central School Principal, Martin Waldron, and Refuge volunteer and past Vermont Jr. Duck Stamp Best of Show winner Eddie Gagne, as being best of show from over 150 entries received from across the state.

Students in kindergarten through high school may enter the contest each year. First, second, and third place winners are selected in each of four age groups. Many other entries receive honorable mention

The first place winners of each group are as follows:

Group I (K-3): Scott Dessler, Otis Selib. and Joshua Wells, all of Shaftsbury Elementary School.

Group II (4-6): Sarah Jane White, a homeschool student, of Shaftsbury, Shannon Simmons of Shelburne, and Ben Kaija of Woodstock Middle Union School.

Group III (7-9,):SophieDeNofrio and Cali Cornacchia, of Albert D. Lawton Intermediate School, and Samuel Zelley of BFA Fairfax.

Group IV (10-12): Emily Merkert of Liza Meyers Studio, Jessica Brazukas of Spaulding High School, and Joshua Downs of BFA Fairfax.

Every state participates in the Federal Junior Duck Stamp Conservation and Design contest. The contest is modeled after the Service's Federal Duck Stamp Art competition. The Junior Duck Stamp Design Contest is part of an innovative educational curriculum that teaches students in grades K-12 about wetlands and waterfowl conservation.

Zelley's "Best of Show" winning design for Vermont was sent to Washington, DC, where three national winners will be chosen by a panel of judges. The first place winner receives a $4,000 cash award and a free trip to Washington, DC in the fall to attend the adult Federal Duck Stamp Contest, along with his/ her art teacher, one of his/her parents, and his/her state coordinator. The national first place winning design is used to produce the Federal Junior Duck Stamp. The Second Place Winner receives a $2,000 cash award; and the third Place Winner receives a $1,000 cash award.

For more information about the contest in Vermont contact the Missisquoi National Wildlife Refuge, 29 Tabor Rd., Swanton, VT 05488: telephone 868-4781.

Henry Raymond
: [1]  
« previous next »
: